Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Fiat? what about it? how many Linea & GP's were sold?
and more specifically how many petrols?
Linea was doing around 1000 since few months now. Palio is almost dead as of now on the sales chart. So out of 2300 units, Punto must be doing around 1200-1300. Punto should ideally clock around 2000 units but it did not pick well. I hope at least 1500 mark will be maintained.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

So far individual sales numbers are available for the following vehicles.
800--2494
NANO--4001
INDICA/VISTA--11448
UVA--434
BEAT--2825
JAZZ--490
INDIGO/Manza--7258
CITY--4485
AVEO--364
LOGAN--555
ALTIS--924
OPTRA--51
CIVIC--644
CRUZE--686
ACCORD--288
TAVERA--1512
CR-V--76
CAPTIVA--72

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 2nd February 2010 at 10:49. Reason: Please do not use text formatting while posting. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:38   #108
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
2302 for Fiat is a good come back sort of things after the 1008 in December.

Punto and Linea should together atleast be at 3000 mark. FIAT should have an immediate target of getting to this number, but at the back end, just stock spares at every service center and give credit to the dealers. This is the cost that they should pay to ensure the history of poor availability of spares is slowly but surely erased.

OT: I have a pre NV edition Palio 1.2. Had the bumper and OVRM readily available at both Prerana and Concorde. Things are not that bad as projected.

FIAT be on your toes to succeed this time. Advertise the cars is another thing Fiat should work upon
A lot of people book their cars in Dec and take delivery in Jan- i guess the day the car is invoiced, its sales are accounted in that month. In this case, Jan numbers+Dec are averaging 1500 for FIAT..which is much lower than what it should.
FIAT needs to learn from GM what it means to really SELL products and not just put them on display and expect people to walk in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
OMG,,, thats an Awesome number of booking. Why do I see a remake of "Wanted" in Auto Industry
In my post of Hits and Misses, i had predicted Beat to be a HIT for 2010..its no surprise that the car has been accepted well, but then it will take the initial hype to settle down for us to really know if its a winner.
GM must be really happy seeing the initial excitement- they have done a fantastic job by pricing and positioning the car for the segment where the max sales are anyways..
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:41   #109
BHPian

I feel cruze is not eating the Civic sales but Lura sales.we have to wait for Skoda sale report to figure out.
I civic is selling anywhere between 600-700 per month which was constant for the year 2009
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:52   #110
BHPian

What about FORD figures? Are they not published as regulary as others?
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:25   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Linea was doing around 1000 since few months now. Palio is almost dead as of now on the sales chart. So out of 2300 units, Punto must be doing around 1200-1300. Punto should ideally clock around 2000 units but it did not pick well. I hope at least 1500 mark will be maintained.
What FIAT needs to do is aggressive marketing of its products.
I see Manza and Indica Vista half page ads almost every week in The Hindu.

Also, the TATA-FIAT showrooms have huge banners/feature list of Manza and TATA Cars but "just" a parked Linea or Punto.

Looks like FIAT is not interested in aggressive ad campaigns (or) TATA is giving FIAT a step motherly treatment.

I recently met one of the senior person from FIAT and he said, FIAT is more interested in word of mouth publicity than ad campaigns in TV and print media.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:10   #112
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I feel cruze is not eating the Civic sales but Lura sales.we have to wait for Skoda sale report to figure out.
I civic is selling anywhere between 600-700 per month which was constant for the year 2009
diesel model will compete with other diesels and not petrol models...CIVIC will not compete with Cruze for the same reason...Cruze will attract those who are anyways looking at a diesel car more than others...which means Skoda diesels take a hit
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:16   #113
v10
BHPian

What territories do these figures stand for? NCR or India?
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:52   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
diesel model will compete with other diesels and not petrol models...CIVIC will not compete with Cruze for the same reason...Cruze will attract those who are anyways looking at a diesel car more than others...which means Skoda diesels take a hit
I always thought people look for alternatives in the same price bracket irrespective of engine type..
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:22   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
A lot of people book their cars in Dec and take delivery in Jan- i guess the day the car is invoiced, its sales are accounted in that month. In this case, Jan numbers+Dec are averaging 1500 for FIAT..which is much lower than what it should.
FIAT needs to learn from GM what it means to really SELL products and not just put them on display and expect people to walk in...
in one of the other threads it was said that the fiat plant was closed from dec 15 - jan 15 so this number must include all those who booked in december.?
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
What FIAT needs to do is aggressive marketing of its products.
I see Manza and Indica Vista half page ads almost every week in The Hindu.
I recently met one of the senior person from FIAT and he said, FIAT is more interested in word of mouth publicity than ad campaigns in TV and print media.
Thanks for the information. I actually believe in word of mouth publicity being the most effective, though it's a long term strategy. Fiat has a good chance of getting it's reputation back on track if it continues to work like it is right now.

Contrary to what everyone might be complaining about, Fiat not having their own A.S.S. and dealerships and partnering with Tata, I think it is responsible for saving Fiat from the brink of extinction in India. Think about it, a lot more people enter Tata showrooms and Fiat in no way could have got people to even come in to their showrooms after the debacle with PAL.

Once a Manza or Vista customer comes in, even if he doesn't buy the Linea or the Punto, he or she is going to go back and talk about it with friends and family. Sometimes, a premium product induces people into spending more than their initial budget, I think the Linea (not sure about the Punto) might actually benefit from sharing the showroom with the Manza.

Anyway Fiat doesn't need to bother too much about sales, as it has the 50-50 JV with Tata. As long as it can get sufficient cars on the road to have a viable sample size for word-of-mouth publicity, it's fine.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:16   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for the information. I actually believe in word of mouth publicity being the most effective, though it's a long term strategy. Fiat has a good chance of getting it's reputation back on track if it continues to work like it is right now.

Contrary to what everyone might be complaining about, Fiat not having their own A.S.S. and dealerships and partnering with Tata, I think it is responsible for saving Fiat from the brink of extinction in India. Think about it, a lot more people enter Tata showrooms and Fiat in no way could have got people to even come in to their showrooms after the debacle with PAL.

Once a Manza or Vista customer comes in, even if he doesn't buy the Linea or the Punto, he or she is going to go back and talk about it with friends and family. Sometimes, a premium product induces people into spending more than their initial budget, I think the Linea (not sure about the Punto) might actually benefit from sharing the showroom with the Manza.

Anyway Fiat doesn't need to bother too much about sales, as it has the 50-50 JV with Tata. As long as it can get sufficient cars on the road to have a viable sample size for word-of-mouth publicity, it's fine.
Bang on! no way would my dad have had a look at the punto if it was some fiat "exclusive" showroom! His confidence in tata helped me convice him to have a look and the rest is history!
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the GM sales chart. I think Beat has really taken a good position. ~ 2.8K vehicles in one month is a good start. Lets see where it settles in a couple of month after the initial launch/new model fever.

Tata NANO - 4K. Great. I started to see some Nanos on road both in chennai and Bangalore. Finally, its rolling on to the customer place from production.

And yes, how about the Manza effect in the market? As mentioned the DZire is untouched any anyone. That's the power of Maruti
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Good to see the GM sales chart.
I am wondering whose customers Chevrolet Cruze is taking away. Altis, Civic or Laura?
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:47   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

Honda selling close to 4500 units of the city is astounding, it's an expensive car and at first glance it seems to be selling more than considerably cheaper cars like the Manza (I assume that the Indigo CS is still selling well).
Apart from the style, i feel Honda City sells in such numbers because it is the most preferred car bought by the companies for their employees
Closed Thread

Most Viewed