Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:28   #1
BHPian

From Concept to Actual Production

Auto Expo 2010 has just ended and we saw almost all Auto manufacturers display their existing as well as “To be launched in the near future models”. Also they usually display some new ideas calling them “CONCEPT” to judge the pulse of public. I think these concept vehicles decide their evolution path.

I would like you to recollect details about really nice concept cars or ideas displayed in various Auto shows that DID NOT make it to the production line. What could be the real reason for this? Do the manufacturers develop cold feet about numbers or these ideas not worth manufacturing?

Also I would like you discuss about most popularly used idea in concept version and that invariably does not figure in the actual production models. One such thing that immediately comes to my mind is the Tire size. Almost all production vehicles have lesser diameter tires as compared to the concepts (at the least in India). Similarly the dash designs.

Which of the current manufacturers do you think completely (at the least, majority of their ideas) convert their concepts into actual Production cars and vice versa?

Any idea?

Last edited by 1968chensaro : 12th January 2010 at 12:30.
Old 12th January 2010, 22:50   #2
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I feel Honda makes production car similar to the concepts that they showcase at Auto-shows.

Actually most manufacturers do make the cars like the concepts but the are so many changes in the design that it feels like a different car (eg: Maruti A-star)

Most Viewed