Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 23:30   #1
BHPian

Tata Xenon XT 2010

Tata Xenon XT, Model year 2010: The Model Year 2010 Tata Xenon XT (Cross Terrain) is now BS IV compliant. The lifestyle 4-door, 5-seater pick-up combines stylish on-road presence, now even more accentuated with a chrome plated grill and silver roof rails. The interiors now sport a new beige colour scheme with matching upholstery complemented by new faux wood on the centre and floor console. A new CD/MP3 music system makes the comfortable interiors, accommodating five passengers in two rows, even more enjoyable. ABS and wider 235/R16 tyres sitting on stylish new alloy wheels complement the power and off-roading capability of the vehicle coming from a 2.2 VTT DICOR engine, a 4x4 option with an electrical shift-on-the-fly mechanism and a limited slip differential. The Xenon XT can be customised to suit individual tastes and styles through a wide range of accessories such as bed-liners, fog lamps, canopy, boot lid or rollover bars.

From Tata press release.

I was quite surprised to see Xenon XT getting some new upgrades. The new features are definitely welcome and appreciate TATA for doing so. Since the price XenonXT demands the features offered are quite low compared to other TATA products. I wish they offer more interior features similar to TATA Aria.

Addition of ABS and bigger tyres (235/75R16) is the best of all the changes. The beige interiors in Thai model looks good, but how practical is this in a Pickup truck. It would have been better for TATA to have a complete black interiors. The present dark grey interiors lined with silver center console looks quite cheap for a Lifestyle vehicle.

Does any one have the interior pictures of the 2010 model XenonXT? I would like to see how the center console with Faux wood touches look like.

My additional wish list for the 2010 XenonXT are as below, Xenon fans please addon if you have any. (Wish TATA Motors is seeing this)
  1. Traction Control
  2. Better Dash with Onboard Satellite Navigation System (Similar to TATA Aria).
  3. Reverse assist Camera System.
  4. Some storage space below rear seats.
  5. Complete Black interiors
  6. Multifunctional Steering
  7. Matt black Alloys
  8. Rear part of cabin to be expanded by 2in to make back seats more reclined, while retaining leg space and reducing load bay area.
  9. More colours like Mountain Green, Odyssey Blue
  10. Accessories like foldable boot lid (tonneau covers)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT 2010-tataxenonxt2010.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT 2010-3877738436_f7410aa41c.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT 2010-dm030819.jpg  

Old 15th January 2010, 00:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the Xenon is one of the best looking Indian cars on the roads today, a muscular pick up with those huge wheel arches etc..etc...
but I think its overpriced. The Grande is very similar to the Xenon and somehowpriced a lot lot lesser. Tata still has an opportunity to introduce more sensible prices and have more of them on the road.
Old 15th January 2010, 00:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

now this looks nice. the blue color is excellent. i want one...i want one.
Old 15th January 2010, 03:18   #4
BHPian

Yes the blue is really tempting and looks like medium American size SUV .I wish they would have designed Grande in this way and i would have selled like a hot cake.
But one big question comes how is QC of this
Old 15th January 2010, 03:30   #5

Looking Good is probably the only Plus point in this car. It is possibly one of the crappiest cars to drive in India. I utterly and absolutely HATE IT!
Old 15th January 2010, 05:04   #6
BHPian

Love the interiors too!!!
Old 15th January 2010, 08:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Somehow the Indian market things that beige interiors are premium and grey is cheap. If you look at the world market this is not necessarily true. Most premium cars abroad can be had in grey or beige.

ABS and 235 section tires are definitely a great and much needed upgrade to the Xenon. Any update on the price? I feel the price is too high compared to the Sumo grande given the chasis/mechanicals and sheet metal used are very identical.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its should be 235/70 R16 and it was 235 R16 when it was launched. The interiors looks good but I would have preferred the new black one that comes for 2010 Safari.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

My wish list for the xenon is simple.

Give me a black interior.No Faux wood for me.
steel rims rather than alloy [ i do not like the OE once].I would pick my own later.
And main priority. reduce the price by at least 1 LAC through out the range.
And than it'll be a great buy.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Cyrus43
Looking Good is probably the only Plus point in this car. It is possibly one of the crappiest cars to drive in India. I utterly and absolutely HATE IT!
Not sure why you think so, if you have driven it and have some feedback please do share. Any way you have all the right to express your opinion as individual tastes differ. For me the vehicle should be VFM and be practical for my needs and usage. Offcourse looks also does matter.

For a passionate naturalist like me, Xenon could be a saviour of my spinal cord. (Driving Gypsy for years has resulted in serious damage to my spine so far)

Quote:
4x4addict
Somehow the Indian market things that beige interiors are premium and grey is cheap. If you look at the world market this is not necessarily true. Most premium cars abroad can be had in grey or beige.
4X4addict and jkdas : I agree with you, I too would prefer black or grey any day instead of beige. But the grey plastic in Xenon does not have quality finish and I feel if the colour was black with same quality it would have still looked better.

Not sure if TATA has priced XenonXT higher because of the low volume it is expected to sell. Wish they either discount or retain the same price with all new goodies. XenonXT in Bengaluru costs Rs.10.16lakhs onroad which is definitely very high compared to GrandeMKII or Safari versions. The price should be reduced by 1-1.5 lakhs to make it VFM like other TATA vehicles.
Old 15th January 2010, 11:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Pardus:

Everyone tries to take the upper band of the price range. BTW, they should understand that the price is to high for many younsters who want this vehicle. 4wD should be tops 8.5 lakhs on the road and 2WD in the 7 lakh range and they will see the sales increase.

@JK:

The original version came with 205R16 tires not 235. I know this since I had inquired with the dealer how much I would get in exchange for the 205 tires.

I think the absurd pricing is what is holding people from buying this vehicle. My dad is very interested but the price is what is putting him off. I understand that this sells in low volumes, but they have spend a certain amount of money developing this vehicle and production has to happen for export markets anyway, so why not price it within the reach of the target segment in India. If you look realistically at the chasis powertrain and amount of sheet metal used, there is no reason for this vehicle to be priced above the Sumo Grande since the cost to build will be very similar. Gypsy is sold in few number but Maruthi doesn't charge 9 lakhs on the road because of that !!
Old 15th January 2010, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

this particular vehicle was made for Thailand, which is world's biggest pickup market!

Xenon was released in limited numbers just to score over M&M Getaway, but both the vehicles are not going to attract the indian consumer for a american style SUT!

you can judge the popularity of these kinds of vehicles by the number of replies in this thread!
Old 15th January 2010, 12:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Not sure why you think so, if you have driven it and have some feedback please do share. Any way you have all the right to express your opinion as individual tastes differ. For me the vehicle should be VFM and be practical for my needs and usage. Offcourse looks also does matter.

For a passionate naturalist like me, Xenon could be a saviour of my spinal cord. (Driving Gypsy for years has resulted in serious damage to my spine so far)

4X4addict and jkdas : I agree with you, I too would prefer black or grey any day instead of beige. But the grey plastic in Xenon does not have quality finish and I feel if the colour was black with same quality it would have still looked better.

Not sure if TATA has priced XenonXT higher because of the low volume it is expected to sell. Wish they either discount or retain the same price with all new goodies. XenonXT in Bengaluru costs Rs.10.16lakhs onroad which is definitely very high compared to GrandeMKII or Safari versions. The price should be reduced by 1-1.5 lakhs to make it VFM like other TATA vehicles.
If TATA could /can sell the TL for 7-7.5 LAC for 4X4 than why can not the Xenon. Than why such huge jump in price for the Xenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Pardus:

Everyone tries to take the upper band of the price range. BTW, they should understand that the price is to high for many younsters who want this vehicle. 4wD should be tops 8.5 lakhs on the road and 2WD in the 7 lakh range and they will see the sales increase.

@JK:

The original version came with 205R16 tires not 235. I know this since I had inquired with the dealer how much I would get in exchange for the 205 tires.

I think the absurd pricing is what is holding people from buying this vehicle. My dad is very interested but the price is what is putting him off. I understand that this sells in low volumes, but they have spend a certain amount of money developing this vehicle and production has to happen for export markets anyway, so why not price it within the reach of the target segment in India. If you look realistically at the chasis powertrain and amount of sheet metal used, there is no reason for this vehicle to be priced above the Sumo Grande since the cost to build will be very similar. Gypsy is sold in few number but Maruthi doesn't charge 9 lakhs on the road because of that !!
There are many who have put off buying this for same reason.
But wait watch as the price falls, same was the case with TL when it was launched, no discount or anything, after a year there was a discount of 50 grand and later one could bargain for more in form of accessories and/or cash from the dealer.
Old 15th January 2010, 12:39   #14
BHPian

its a 2.2 vtt , but whats the power output ? is it 140 bhp or detune version of it , as they are using it in grande
Old 15th January 2010, 13:12   #15
BHPian

Pardus - Wishlist - You forgot coil springs for the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Somehow the Indian market thinks that beige interiors are premium and grey is cheap. If you look at the world market this is not necessarily true. Most premium cars abroad can be had in grey or beige.
Well, the market abroad can adjust to Indian tastes instead. Why do Indians have to always adjust to foreign tastes?

Different countries have different tastes and demands.

Last edited by aerohit : 15th January 2010 at 13:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks