Team-BHP - D segment Battle!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   D segment Battle!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7367-d-segment-battle.html)

It’s the battle of the D – segment which is becoming faster and faster day by day.

One side is the leader Accord. Wonderful car and that Honda Vtec engine is a pleasure to drive but it has lack of equipment. With Only ABS and Two Airbags standard and 205/65/15 tyres it is bare basic and has features similar to Lower D segment cars, but it has a class which is difficult to beat. The V6 has traction and wider & bigger rubber but then loses the soul of the 2.4 i-Vtec. Lack of traction on 2.4 is solely missed.
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2003/jun14_1.htm
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2003/nov22_1.htm

The other end is the most fuel efficient car the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI L n K and the sportiest car as well but lacks rear space legroom and overall comfort. New Octavia on the cards but with Skoda its just unpredictable when it will hit our shores??
Top speed 223kph
0-60kph 3.99sec
0-100kph 9.06sec
Kpl 9.23 (overall)
Are you game??
http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...ve/skodars.asp

The Ford Mondeo has become basic with the price cut and is a pure drivers car, but lacks the luxury feel its rivals throw.
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2001/01jun23_1.htm

Opel Vectra- Does it even exsist, the safest car in India is listed in the Price list by most magazines.
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2002/02mar16_1.htm

Toyota Camry – What do I say, highly overpriced and looks a bigger Corolla, plus its mostly for hotel guys buying under EPCG.. LOL.
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2002/02nov02_1.htm

Hyundai Sonata – The new Sonata Embera is totally unlike a Hyundai. Hits a ton in less then 8 secs faster then the Accord and also the Vrs Turbo petrol. Sounds métier then a Vtec motor. Also it is loaded with features like Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Traction Control System (TCS), ABS and EBD, and six airbags. The top-of-the line LX model gets more kit like auto-dimming mirrors, a power sunroof and sportier suspension with 17-inch alloys according to BS motoring is utter rubbish. As it has 16inch rubber and 2 airbags, ABS and TCS. Nothing more. The car isnot cheap either coming to Rs. 15L on road.
Though the car has wonderful rear seat, said by Hyundai as the most coveted back seat in town. Its also going to come in a 2.0 Crdi variant. V6 3.3 said to come only in 2007. By the way dual tip exhaust does not show sporty character. LOL
http://www.bsmotoring.com/2005/aug06_1.htm

So, What would be your Pick?

BUSA TESt VERDICT

My choice would surely be the 2.4 I Vtec Accord. Those killer looks are enough to buy one. The Honda sign says you can never go wrong with it. Plus a Vtec engine that will see through 3 lac km without any problem. Sonatas poor resale value and poor Hyundai Luxury car image wont make this a good buy. Hyundai have lost it again. It may be fast hitting ton in less then 8 secs, but I rather reach speed in style, take an RS call TurboIndia and remap it and have 200bhp on tap and still hit ton in 6.xx secs. The Sonata doesnot even have Audio controls on steering, which all cars in this segment have plus looks too Elantarish. Also with only TCS additional over the Accord it surely wont tempt any one. Considering TCS is useless well almost. I rather buy an original Accord then its replica Sonata. Sorry Hyundai but but the Embera – That don’t impress me much rl:

People voting please give the reason for your particular pick!! please:

hi!!
will go for the Honda Accord.
i prefer Honda Accord because of its Great looks outside and also in the inside. Good Room, auit good engine and its a HONDA.
my second preference will be Octavia RS coz of its Superb engine.

maybe the sonata embera is a replica of Accord but it coudn't impress me.

Personally I really like the Opel for everything that is there in the car. Unfortunately, it was an imported vehicle and looking at the sales, the same have been stopped.

RS is another excellent car but again as BUSA suggested, with the upgrade in the pending tray, I would not like to be the one buying it and getting an add in the newspapers that the new model is out.

Thus from the list the Honda comes out on the Top...I would however prefer having the "3.0 Litre" version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
Unfortunately, it was an imported vehicle and looking at the sales, the same have been stopped.

I also have a feeling that Opel is going to shut shop in India in sometime. Till Corsa sells its ok later its astalavista Baby!!

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Japanese cars are more reliable and easier to live with than their European rivals. Therefore, if I have to recommend a car, it will have to be a Honda Accord. The sheer numbers that this car exists in makes it a pretty safe buy. The Toyota Camry is nice too, but has more of an "airport taxi" image.
Logically, I would vote for the Accord, but in a country dominated by Merc, BMW and Ferrari fans, I'm a Jaguar die-hard and going by that logic, I am bound to go against the tide here too.
So, coming to the all important question of my vote, my personal choice is the Ford Mondeo - it's got a more "personal" look than the ugly Honda. I also love the way it drives and handles.
The Opel Vectra is another car that I like, but Opel's future in India is not too bright.
I haven't driven the Embera yet, so I won't pass a judgement on it.

My vote for accord...really a fan of its performance, handling and to a certain extend looks, camry is good space wise, however feels bulky from outside, others are all good looking cars, however not in the league of accord or camry which are trouble free and reliable cars

My choice is the Ford Mondeo for the driving pleasure it offers and I also love its car's design though it looks bit plain. But my head says the Hond Accord because of the reliability and the brilliant engine.

Honda Accord for me anyday !
Love it's performance,looks,interiors and reliability.
Those of you planning a D segment purchase,go in for it..
One more thing - Go for Linkway Honda,never Ichibaan Honda !(for Mumbai buyers).
Cheers,
sr

I usually dont go for a hyundai but this new sonata is really great. I test drove one in India and it is selling well here in Toronto. It is an accord at hyundai price.

my choice

1. Sonata Embera(cheaper accord to be precise)
2. Skoda octavia RS(the best Indian sports car with the right ingredients. wait for an upgrade)
3. accord (hard to beat)
4. mondeo(the old mondeo was better)
5. Camry (better then most but obscenely expensive)
6. vectra(the best luxury car but mostly discontinued)

Well i picked the accord just it has more appeal to me than any of the other cars in this list. But the problem is that the new accord is gotten a bit toooooo common on bombay roads!! I used to pull my hair out when the new gen accord came out just few months after i got my accord, but i dont think i regret it anymore as much car looks a little more special and different from the crowd of new accords.I do miss the new features of the accord, the fresher interiors and stuff and the 5% more power than my car but i guess u gain some you loose some.
would have picked the new sonata out of this only if it werent a Hyundai!
I loovee driving the RS but the interiors and rear seat r a big disappointment.
Mondeo is too hyped imo and not value for money at all
I love the camry for its spacious interiors but the car is just too damn big to drive around on u r own.

Seems like all of them are really good...i would pick :
1.Honda Accord
2.Ford Mondeo
3.Skoda Octavia

I have the feeling that most people thought that only the Octavia RS was listed here and hence more votes to the Accord. I have voted for the Skoda Octavia L&K with that amazing TDi engine. Firstly, the Octavia looks more elegant and stately then the Accord. 5 years down the line the Accord will look old and dated but even this current Octavia will still look elegant. That's the magic of European designs - they are timeless. Second reason for the skoda is that amazing TDi engine. Great power with great mileage and hopefully things will get better with the new Octy since hopefully the car will have the PD engine. Thirdly, the car is essentially the VW Golf - it's built on the same chassis so indirectly you are driving the legendary Golf. Reliablity is not an issue with Skoda or any VW group cars either. The interiors are better built and better styled then the Accord - remember we are talking about L&K here. The car has that germanic aura around it and I am a sucker for European cars.
Second would be the Accord followed by the Mondeo and Vectra.

Quote:

The interiors are better built and better styled then the Accord - remember we are talking about L&K here.
L n K interiors are just beige but the rear seat is a total sadness. Even the New City has more legroom. The Octavia just doesnot feel like a D segmenter at the rear.

Also it wont be out of place to mention how expensive it is to maintain Octavia and how cheap to maintain a japanese beauty like the Accord and with Honda you can be assured that your service bills wont be high like the Octy!! Also the Indian L n K produces only 90bhp wheras the Foreign one produces 110bhp so thats sad and the alloys of the L n K are not that great(comparing to RS spider ones)

Quote:

the rear seat is a total sadness.the Indian L n K produces only 90bhp wheras the Foreign one produces 110bhp
Both these issues will be solved when the new Octavia is launched early next year. But again, comparing HP between the Octavia and Accord is not right as one is diesel and other is petrol. The VW diesel's sold here have 100bhp and thats what I feel the Indian Octavia will have.

Quote:

with Honda you can be assured that your service bills wont be high like the Octy!!
This is another grey area. The market perception is that Japanese car's are easier on the pocket when it comes to service but thats not true always. For example, I believe it's scaringly expensive to do bodywork on a Honda and also some parts of Japanese cars are way more expensive then european cars. Few months back ACI had a complete list of spare prices, maybe someone can post the link and we can compare.