Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 11:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
In the design of cars, they should prevent rats entering the cabin via AC ducts.
It hurts when my new ANHC a mice not rat (as it nibbled not ravaged the interior) entered and nibbled at plastics.
THey should have some mesh to prevent rats entering, in air passages.
+1 to this & in addition prefer covering the car's underneath.
I remember from somebody's posts in this forum that they had a stone hit under their car due to which they'd to shell out heavy for the damage.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:19   #17
BHPian

Interesting thread:

Some of the small things find irritating are:

1. Lack of trash can in the car - especially needed when there are kids.
2. Lack of a simple cleaning / wiping kit - a towel with a cleaning solution
3. Lack of child lock indicators on the dashboard. Every time my car goes for a wash child lock gets removed.
4. In Verna the arm rest when placed interferes with smooth gear stick movements.

Cheers,
Old 17th January 2010, 13:12   #18
BHPian

1) In the new C220 CDI, the LH ORVM is a plane mirror.

You'd expect cutting corners from a lesser company, but Mercedes Benz? I know of 2 potential owners that went the 3 series way because of this irritant alone!

2) In the same car, the ORVMs dont swing both ways. What??
Old 17th January 2010, 14:17   #19
BHPian

Wish List: What I want in my car

Is there a thread which discusses the wishlist (practically formulated) for the desired features, specs of cars? How does the auto industry get a feedback except from inputs from reviews, ownership reports and complaints/failures in cars? Why don't we tell automakers what we want in our cars and let them design the car than having them make a car and then we gulp what we get? I know it's not so easy like baking a cake (then again, I don't know how to bake a cake so I tell the baker what I want and he does it) but consider this: when you buy (for example) a software, you tell the team your requirements and they see how to meet those. In auto industry, I can't have the luxury of a car custom made simply because of the astronomical cost so it's always a compromise between what I want and what is available. However, on a forum which is graced by 40-50,000 people, the opnion would matter substantially for car makers to take notice and at least some difference would be made. After all, it's we who would buy what they make. So could we have a discussion on what we want AND what we do NOT want in a car. In this exercise, please do not ask for the lunar rover for 10 lakhs. Our expectations should be based on what is available right now and what we can suggest for sedans or hatchbacks etc. For example, shape, size, power, comfort etc. Here, we must be clear that we can't have everything. A driver's will have comfort compromised and vice versa (not talking of BMW and Mercedes here) if economy is also a constraint.

So my 2 cents for what I want in a Sedan for 8-9 Lakhs:

1. Must have-
Engine- At least 120 horses (outright acceleration (0-100 within 10 sec), rev worthy, power to weight not less than 0.1

Handling- Good stability at high speeds, great to corner.

Body- Ground clearance of at least 175 mm, should look sleek (longer than taller)

Comfort- to sustain 10 hour drives

Goodies- climate control, DVD/mp3 player, USB and bluetooth equipped ICE, GPS, steering mounted audio controls, focused reading lights as in airliners.

2. Compromise factor-
Engine- FE could be around 10 overall

Comfort- front oriented (a two seater would be nice too), rear space (for four seater) could suffer, boot of 400 ltrs sufficient. Storage space in cabin could be sacrificed for seating space.

I'll stop at this for now. Think I've defined a driver's car here. Anyone care to add things to my car (remember the price) is welcome. Would be interesting to know what others want in their cars.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2010 at 15:17. Reason: Similar thread, please use search. Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 14:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Touch-up paint tube

1. I read in ACI that the Nissan X-trail comes along with a small touch up paint tube in the car's colour. What an thoughtful addition this is?

Frankly ppl would need this as much as the spare wheel.

2. Why aren't we given the option to choose interior colours? Why should a perticular version be available in only 1 interior colour trim? I frankly hate beige. All black is what I like. Why can't I have it
Old 17th January 2010, 15:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
1. I read in ACI that the Nissan X-trail comes along with a small touch up paint tube in the car's colour. What an thoughtful addition this is?
That's an excellent feature! Many a small scratch are just eyesores but have done no real damage. This is perfect for that.
Old 17th January 2010, 18:08   #22
srh
BHPian

Fuel filler on the left hand side
Old 17th January 2010, 18:39   #23
BHPian

Height adjustable rear seat is on my wish list. Some cars have low rear seats making it very uncomfortable for tall people sitting with knees up.
Old 17th January 2010, 19:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

An Amazing thread....

One damn thing that keeps irritating me on the Punto is the size of the fuel filling tube (what ever that thing is called - the piece of metal tubing that holds the nozzle when the fuel is being poured in).

This tube is too small to let in the normal sized fuel filling nozzles - I mean they do come in, but the auto stop function does not work. The attendent has to necessarily stand holding the tube and keep looking for any fuel overflowing out. My regular fuel station has the smaller nozzle, but most others don't! Filling takes longer, and is often irritating.

Its high time manufacturers make such things of a standard dimension. Same goes with the positioning of wiper/HL stalks.
Old 17th January 2010, 22:56   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
An Amazing thread....

One damn thing that keeps irritating me on the Punto is the size of the fuel filling tube (what ever that thing is called - the piece of metal tubing that holds the nozzle when the fuel is being poured in).

This tube is too small to let in the normal sized fuel filling nozzles - I mean they do come in, but the auto stop function does not work. The attendent has to necessarily stand holding the tube and keep looking for any fuel overflowing out. My regular fuel station has the smaller nozzle, but most others don't! Filling takes longer, and is often irritating.

Its high time manufacturers make such things of a standard dimension. Same goes with the positioning of wiper/HL stalks.

This is news to me .Well most car have the same standard for the width of the whoel where fuel is poured in and same goes for fuel dispenser .Infact fuel dispenser have specifications for the diameter of the fuel filling nozzle .
I think you need to change your pump as i smell a rat in this .
Old 18th January 2010, 00:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
An Amazing thread....

Problem is not the vehicle but the fuel dispenser or may be pump attendant. There are two types of nozzles certified for use at fuel stations. First one is the normal pressure nozzle for passenger vehicles and will be present at all Petrol / Premium Petrol / Premium Diesel points of a fuel station. There is a high pressure nozzle also allowed for Diesel / Premium Diesel to account large tank capacities of commercial vehicles and mid-range vehicles which would otherwise take ages to fill.

Your neighborhood fuel station must have employed high pressure nozzles which is the culprit here.

Vehicle manufacturers have no control over design of fuel tanks points since this is one of the criterions for certification by ARAI and any diversion from defined standards would render a vehicle without road worthy certificate.
Old 18th January 2010, 07:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

adding bits of chrome here and there,a new paint job and decals and demanding extra for the following is not cool.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
1) In the new C220 CDI, the LH ORVM is a plane mirror.

You'd expect cutting corners from a lesser company, but Mercedes Benz? I know of 2 potential owners that went the 3 series way because of this irritant alone!
You would be surprised to know that almost all the cars sold here in North America come with the plane mirror on the driver's side and a convex mirror on the passenger side (Merc C and BMW 3 series included). My Baleno in India also has the same configuration. I am not sure why this difference has come about, but I am guessing it has something to do with the automobile regulations. I hope someone can throw some light on this one.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:08   #29
Team-BHP Support

Making the cabin sealed so that rats/snakes can't get it? How difficult can it be?
Old 18th January 2010, 15:34   #30
BHPian

Hi Tanveer,

I think the cabin should be sealed in such a way that there is always a free inlet for the fresh air. Otherwise the car a.c. can be dangerous and suffocate the passengers to death.

Most Viewed