Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I think the cabin should be sealed in such a way that there is always a free inlet for the fresh air. Otherwise the car a.c. can be dangerous and suffocate the passengers to death.
I don't think that will happen.
Any AC/Mech engineers plz clarify on this..because
nobody suffocates to death inside a closed room with a running AC.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
1) In the new C220 CDI, the LH ORVM is a plane mirror. You'd expect cutting corners from a lesser company, but Mercedes Benz? I know of 2 potential owners that went the 3 series way because of this irritant alone! 2) In the same car, the ORVMs dont swing both ways. What??
This is another thing about a C 200 (kompressor engine) I noticed. LET US C, you pay a good amount so that it has central locking and then you have these knobs sticking out of the door. I mean its not like other cars don't have it. But to have the passenger poked every time someone unlocks the car is something I refuse to see the point in paying 20+ lakhs for. Even if it's for a Merc. If I am not mistaken the swift doesn't have this knob and it costs a lot lesser than the C class. LET US C++ a picture now of these knobs from hell.

The C200 Window

Other Issues:

Now to Highlight something else with most cars. The front door!! whenever you park near a pavement and you open the door the base gets scratched or if you enter into the cabin your weight will send the base hitting the pavement and the base of the door gets bent or worse. I'm sure at that rate even the free tube of paint wont last very long. I mean if the back door is a bit blunt why cant the front door be the same. I mean most customers don't plan on using the front door as a knife ( When I say most I am excluding those who like the Gone in 60 seconds guy want to smash someone's head between the door and the car and then to go one step further and stab him with the base). I have also attached a drawing, apart from the fact that I could use a few art classes it pretty much brings home my point.

There is a picture as well but I apologize for the qualities of the same.

The Diagram

The Front door of a Random Car

Old 18th January 2010, 18:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I am not an Engineer. Wasn't smart enough to make the cut. But I wish to make an attempt to answer the question anyway.

One can feel stifled if there isn't enough fresh air but that is all, no one ever died because of suffocation in an AC.

The only cases of death are those in which people have died because they slept in their car in a closed garage with the engine ON. This resulted in Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to build up of the exhaust fumes, it had nothing to do with the A/c.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:16   #34
BHPian

Brilliant suggestion on saving the door! Especially when you consider that the bottom part is usually inline with the seat, there is no impact to accessibility.
I've also wished that we could somehow bring up a partition between the front two seats and those seats behind them. Reason? Air conditioning! How many fully occupied cars do you see? A feature like this would prevent the need to cool the whole car when it is not required. If someone could think of something like this that can be attached as an after market accessory, you don't have to worry about marketing!

On the locking levers sticking out of the door, another reason they should be like those on the swift,indica or better still the ford or scropio is usability. In order to get out, one has to bend the arm, locate the lock (which is almost behind you sometimes) and lift it up. Compare this to extending your hand forward to where you can see and pulling it open.

Last edited by triedeverything : 18th January 2010 at 18:28.
Old 18th January 2010, 19:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
There are always some gaps in the wooden doors which allows the fresh air to come inside a room so we never realizes the same.

Don't know how these people have suggested that there might be problems if the cabin is sealed:
QotW - 08.04.13 - How Much Air in a Sealed Car? - Naked Scientists Discussion Forum
Old 18th January 2010, 22:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I think you need to change your pump as i smell a rat in this .
I checked this at four pumps - except the one near my home, no one had the thinner nozzle. In case of the three pumps, the attendant had to keep holding the fueler till the car took in some 35 litres of diesel. The auto-stop just doesn't work because the nozzle does not go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
First one is the normal pressure nozzle for passenger vehicles and will be present at all Petrol / Premium Petrol / Premium Diesel points of a fuel station. There is a high pressure nozzle also allowed for Diesel / Premium Diesel to account large tank capacities of commercial vehicles and mid-range vehicles which would otherwise take ages to fill.

Your neighborhood fuel station must have employed high pressure nozzles which is the culprit here.
Its the otherway round. The attendant used the normal nozzle first - it does not go in completely. He then used another station which had the narrower nozzle - this machine is usually used for premium fuels.

Punto Owners - please have a look at the size of your car's "mouth". Its surely smaller than normal vehicles.
Old 18th January 2010, 22:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
This is news to me .Well most car have the same standard for the width of the whoel where fuel is poured in and same goes for fuel dispenser .Infact fuel dispenser have specifications for the diameter of the fuel filling nozzle .
I think you need to change your pump as i smell a rat in this .
Maybe it is the rat that is blocking the fuel inlet
Old 19th January 2010, 10:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
There are always some gaps in the wooden doors which allows the fresh air to come inside a room so we never realizes the same.

Don't know how these people have suggested that there might be problems if the cabin is sealed:
QotW - 08.04.13 - How Much Air in a Sealed Car? - Naked Scientists Discussion Forum
I think that discussion is about a sealed car minus the AC.
I guess an AC lets in a little fresh air even if kept in internal-circulation mode.

Because not all air-conditioned rooms have wooden doors and hence some leaks.
Recording studios, etc are fully sealed and use only an Airconditioner. But nobody suffocates.

Last edited by Daewood : 19th January 2010 at 10:58.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Can they have cars with retractable sun screens? I've seen it on the cars in Europe and the sun screen/shade just slides into the door similar to a window when not in use. Its so much classier than the sun screens that we use with the suction cups. Surely thats a sorely needed feature in such a Hot country.

Also, so often one gets confused between the fuel lid opener and the boot opener. Can't we have better differentiation rather than the small icons? Talking specifically of the Santro here.

Better insulation from road noise. Most car cabins are horribly insulated from road noise atleast in the entry and mid segments. Oh what would'nt I give for a quieter cabin? Its so much more soothing when you sit in a silent car, rather than one where all the tyre sounds, the engine noise and the honking invades your thoughts?
Old 19th January 2010, 12:12   #40
BHPian

Usability issues in Safari:

1.Every time I start it, I have to look down to spot the lock to insert the key to start the car.The location of lock is so odd that we can insert the key without looking down to spot the lock. I see this very annoying.

2. The AC and other controls can not be accessed while in 1 ,3 and 5th gear. The gear knob almost touched the controls panel.

3. When the front doors are open and left they open so wide and go beyond our reach. We have to get down and close the door.This too is very bad design.We should be able to get hold of the door from the seat itself when its open fully.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:34   #41
BHPian

My 2 paisa:

1. The 'courtesy wipe' a few seconds after the wash/wipe cycle is very useful, because the wash fluid that is stuck to the top of the glass, where the wiper blade doesn't reach, would trickle down in a stream.

2. The driver side and pax side ORVMs MUST have different curvatures, because each is at a different distance from the driver, but expected to give the same field of view. I am used to that in the USA, but the Fiesta I have here have identical mirrors, resulting in a reduced field of view on my left side. I HATE it!! I thought of getting a wide angle stick on mirror first. Then I dropped the idea, because people generally don't use mirrors at all here anyways!

3. The AC have two modes. Vent open and vent closed. In the former, outside air is sucked in, cooled, and sent to the cabin. In vent closed, the inside air itself is re-circulated. This is more energy efficient in a hot day, but reduced the oxygen in the cabin. When I drive with a full load of people, I feel the oxygen reduction in the air.

Now, there is one thing I HATE with the fiesta. There is no separate lever to lock the door. If you push the door lever in, it is locked. You pull it out to open the door. All the other cars I have seen have a separate lever, either near the glass, or stacked upon the open lever. This is a dangerous thing. Recently I was driving with mine and my BIL's family in the car. His 2 yo girl pulled the lever. Luckily it came only to the normal mode. She wasn't strong enough to pull it open.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post

Now, there is one thing I HATE with the fiesta. There is no separate lever to lock the door. If you push the door lever in, it is locked. You pull it out to open the door. All the other cars I have seen have a separate lever, either near the glass, or stacked upon the open lever. This is a dangerous thing. Recently I was driving with mine and my BIL's family in the car. His 2 yo girl pulled the lever. Luckily it came only to the normal mode. She wasn't strong enough to pull it open.
+1 to that. Its the same with the Palio.

Its kinda dangerous when you have kids in the car.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
+1 to that. Its the same with the Palio.

Its kinda dangerous when you have kids in the car.
Actually it is quite convenient. When you have kids in the car, you should use child lock. They can't unlock any of the back doors then.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:10   #44
BHPian

Nice thread.
But guys you know, the cars are basically an end result of product management and costs. The makers follow the steps. Target, design, analyze, costs engineer again to fit, and then production. And the total idea is to get the sales! Thats it! If they want to sell better products to make their brands then its ridiculously easy for them. Just get the car imported and put a price tag of 40L+
The truth is, each and everything needs cost. Even re locating the cig lighter (from left to right) involve cost. Someone knows 2 different brand cars which are manufactured in the same factory i.e. sharing the same platform, and 1 having good and other bad ergonomics? I dont know (I havnt searched much though). But if there is an example like that then I would like to know the prices of both the cars.

I am not taking the manufacturer's side but just trying to put my views on it.

But talking about wishlist, there is one thing that really annoys me! If manufactures have different variants available. Then why not manufacture the basic car and let the customer decide what he wants. Whether it be ABS or ICE or wheels, etc etc etc... If ABS can be fitted into VXi model then why not LXi. This is where even I cant think of logic. How can this involve cost. Attracting customers to buy expensive cars by showing safety equipments as lolipop? Donno!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Vibhanshu : 19th January 2010 at 17:11.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
One damn thing that keeps irritating me on the Punto is the size of the fuel filling tube (what ever that thing is called - the piece of metal tubing that holds the nozzle when the fuel is being poured in).
The same problem exists in the Palio. It works with the new slim nozzles but not the wide ones. I think it is because the pipe curves downwards too quickly.

Most Viewed