Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 19:38   #46
BHPian

Vibhanshu, All we are asking for is that the manufacturer learns from this 'wish list' and gets it right the first time! Why should the customer pay for a change that is logical? Why should the manufacturer be left free for an error that was made by them in the first place?

+1 to RX135 on the open and close lever. Use the child lock for children. It is illegal in some states in the US to have kids travel in the front seat.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:40   #47
BHPian

About my old Santro ( dont know if new ones are different ): You can place a cup or a glass in the second cup holder ( there are two on both front and rear sides of the gear lever ) ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE HANDBRAKE APPLIED. So if you want to enjoy a coffee or a small bottle of water on a drive, go ahead, but please stop the car and put the handbrake on every now and then so that the passenger can keep his glass down.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Vibhanshu, All we are asking for is that the manufacturer learns from this 'wish list' and gets it right the first time! Why should the customer pay for a change that is logical? Why should the manufacturer be left free for an error that was made by them in the first place?
+1 to RX135 on the open and close lever. Use the child lock for children. It is illegal in some states in the US to have kids travel in the front seat.
The point is, how many manufacturers consider it as a fault that would keep them from not releasing the product. They see the history of the cars manufactured and their sales. Do their math of what is acceptable and whats not. And guess what, most of the time it works and it has worked.
I am 100% with you that some things are really silly that they can improve.
Just as Bigzero said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
You can place a cup or a glass in the second cup holder ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE HANDBRAKE APPLIED.
But this is exactly what I am talking about. Santro has been the number 1 seller once upon a time. Now, its out classed by its competitors. But there are sales. Coz even the buyers are getting what they want - 'A car'. So if you consider yourself in the designer's position, would you raise the car's Cost to improve the location of the cig lighter or cup holder or maybe something else, which will have direct impact on the sales?

I am no way a Product Manager for any car manufacturing company, neither I have direct info of how things are managed. But I do know that its not that simple at the first place. These Designers/Product Managers are very well trained and experienced and understand the system well.

The target market of India is so so huge that its too hard to cater all. No car in this world is perfect. Something somewhere will surely be disliked and I can guarantee that! What to look is, if you can live with it or not at the cost of whats being offered.

If I crib again: Why can't Verna or Accent have their gear liver placed a little far. All downshifts are uncomfortable for me! :P

I am with you on this buddy. Cars are expensive and every buyer has expectation, and I am no different.

Cheers! I think I really wrote a big one here.
Thanks for reading.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post

The target market of India is so so huge that its too hard to cater all. No car in this world is perfect. Something somewhere will surely be disliked and I can guarantee that! What to look is, if you can live with it or not at the cost of whats being offered.

If I crib again: Why can't Verna or Accent have their gear liver placed a little far. All downshifts are uncomfortable for me! :P

I am with you on this buddy. Cars are expensive and every buyer has expectation, and I am no different.
+1 to what you have written! On this thread itself, if I am not mistaken, there are folks who dislike the locking mechanism provided by ford, M&M and those who love it! Also the last swipe of the wiper mechanism - it makes sense to some of us, while to the others, they are wondering why mess up a perfectly dry screen???
Old 20th January 2010, 12:26   #50
BHPian

The fuel nozzle is a different story.

There was a regulation that the cars that are 'unleaded only' need to have smaller inlets, and the pumps that dispensed unleaded petrol should have the thinner nozzles. this was to prevent the cars with catalytic converters from taking leaded petrol. After everything was converted to unleaded, there may be some old equipment that had the thicker nozzle.

My 1997 M800 was with catconv. I always drove the extra 5 km to get to the pump that sold the thing. Most of the people simply ignored the warning, and pumped the regular stuff. In a few months time, the pump close to my place also installed one unleaded outlet. Within the year, everything moved to unleaded.

My wife always complained about the 'stinky petrol' According to her, the regular (ie leaded) petrol smell is sweet, but the unleaded stinks.
Old 20th January 2010, 13:15   #51
BHPian

Innova is big but the dash is not suitable to keep anything. I know loose things in cabin is a serious hazard is a speeding car, still then I find there could have been more storage space made. With cover. I have complained about the same before: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...le-modify.html
Old 20th January 2010, 13:29   #52
BHPian

Swift/DZire: No electronically operated ORVMs even in the top end variants . Even my older Wagon R had that
Old 20th January 2010, 14:29   #53
BHPian

The Fiesta ashtray is, in fact, removable.

I don't smoke, and I don't allow smoking in my car, so I had no use for the ashtray. Today I just checked it and found that the ash tray proper is removable.

The ash tray and lighter socket is behind a small door in front of the gear lever. The door is push to open. When you open it, the socket is on the right and the ash tray is on the left. You can just grab the ashtray and lift it up.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
The point is, how many manufacturers consider it as a fault that would keep them from not releasing the product. They see the history of the cars manufactured and their sales. Do their math of what is acceptable and whats not. And guess what, most of the time it works and it has worked.
Hey Vibhanshu, while I empathize with your sentiments but I feel that their is very good point of voicing our peeves with certain design flaws.

An example of this will be the Verna, concerned with people having the ORVM's breaking on impacts they used OVRM's with a spring mechanism that automatically shifts itself so as to prevent the breaking of the glass. This is now also available on the Logan and I suspect more cars but it all started with 1 company(may not be Verna) fitting it as standard on their vehicle and other’s followed suit. Verna owners must have felt extremely nice of having this feature. But this feature came about being installed on the car after hearing consumer grievances on the designs and making amends.

So this thread serves to highlight these flaws so that some designers and Marketers who genuinely believe in making a product better will listen and as a result of which they will make a product correcting those flaws and as a result be rewarded with sales. Eventually other car manufacturer's will follow suit.

Also this serves as a place for people to posts their views on the little things that annoy them so that future customers of a car are more aware of the Investment they are about to make. So they can check for specific flaws in the design when comparing vehicles making a better more informed decision in keeping with the BHpian spirit.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Also, so often one gets confused between the fuel lid opener and the boot opener. Can't we have better differentiation rather than the small icons? Talking specifically of the Santro here.
In fact, Civic has a single lever, if you press it, the fuel lid is opened and if you pull it, then it opens the boot.

I don't see any reason why all the manufactures can't do it.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:52   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
Hey Vibhanshu, while I empathize with your sentiments but I feel that their is very good point of voicing our peeves with certain design flaws.

An example of this will be the Verna, concerned with people having the ORVM's breaking on impacts they used OVRM's with a spring mechanism that automatically shifts itself so as to prevent the breaking of the glass. This is now also available on the Logan and I suspect more cars but it all started with 1 company(may not be Verna) fitting it as standard on their vehicle and other’s followed suit. Verna owners must have felt extremely nice of having this feature. But this feature came about being installed on the car after hearing consumer grievances on the designs and making amends.

So this thread serves to highlight these flaws so that some designers and Marketers who genuinely believe in making a product better will listen and as a result of which they will make a product correcting those flaws and as a result be rewarded with sales. Eventually other car manufacturer's will follow suit.

Also this serves as a place for people to posts their views on the little things that annoy them so that future customers of a car are more aware of the Investment they are about to make. So they can check for specific flaws in the design when comparing vehicles making a better more informed decision in keeping with the BHpian spirit.
I am with you on this mate. My friend owns a Verna and the feature is neat and practical. In fact I've been going through the whole thread and its very helpful. There are some facts that is really surprising and its really good to find out just by reading posts. Cheers!
Old 20th January 2010, 15:27   #57
BHPian

The dead pedal is the simplest of things you could imagine in a car and a pretty useful one at that. As noted in many recent reviews, many new models do not have a proper dead pedal besides the clutch pedal. I can't see why they couldn't integrate one at the design stage itself.

Hate to think of the "fake" dead pedal in Honda Jazz, made of rubber.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:22   #58
BHPian

1. I want reclining seats for rear passengers too. My granny cribs that the angle is not correct for her in m800 but is comfortable in esteem. When we have foldable rear seats, why not reclining ones in the top end variants so that we can chose our angle?

2. Why not ac vents on B pillars for the rear passengers? We get enough air flow from the centre ac vents but very less from the side ones. So the passengers sitting in the back rarely get good flow of cool air.

3. Why can't we have ac vents that shut completely and the ones where we can control the air flow in all the models? How much do you really save by not using these types of vents?
Old 20th January 2010, 19:04   #59
BHPian

A simple suggestion: Do not provide wheel covers, but make the wheels more appealing to the eye. I am not talking of expensive alloys here, something similar to those in Tavera will do.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:42   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
A simple suggestion: Do not provide wheel covers, but make the wheels more appealing to the eye. I am not talking of expensive alloys here, something similar to those in Tavera will do.
Already being done. Check out the Chevy Beat. The lower models have steel rims but are designed in such a way that they look like alloys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks