Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 23:19   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs

Volkswagen’s Phaeton launching in March @ 75 lakhs-largo_rs_20_phaeton_3d.jpg

VW has just come out with its Phaeton-3.6lit petrol engine and an output of 280HP- at Rs75lakhs and the car will be officially launched in March to enter the luxury segment, said its Board Member. Built at VW’s Glass factory in Germany and is a real stunner in luxury sector. The assembly of Phaeton at the unit is transparent to the buyer’s presence- an Indian buyer too can fly to Germany to witness the assembling.

Phaeton can be driven away from 40VW showrooms in the country. VW’s marketing in India is with four brands-Passat, Jetta, Beetle andTouareg- and has done business volume of 3037 cars in 2009 against 1566 in 2008. A big news about VW’s small car –Polo- ready for launch in March.
Old 17th January 2010, 00:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

VW should launch this in the price range of Mercedes E class in order to garner sales. Rs 75 Lakh i feel is a bit wayy too expensive for this one.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 00:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
VW should launch this in the price range of Mercedes E class in order to garner sales. Rs 75 Lakh i feel is a bit wayy too expensive for this one.
Fortunately, for the shareholders of the company, you are not in charge of pricing.

You cant just DEMAND unreasonable pricing according to your wishes! The Phaeton is a competitor to the A8, S class and the 7 series. Why in the world would they price it at E class levels?
Old 17th January 2010, 00:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Although the design clearly shows it's age, it's still a handsome brute like, say, an A8. It's also a marvel of tech, functionality and design on the inside. Yes, it is expensive for a VW and it may never usurp the S or 7, but it'll surely be a unique alternative for those who prefer diversity, for instance.
Old 17th January 2010, 00:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Phaeton has always felt like a facelifted A8 with an..umm..down to earth VW badge!
75 lacs sounds good and will be the sole reason if it sells,at all
Old 17th January 2010, 00:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Fortunately, for the shareholders of the company, you are not in charge of pricing.

You cant just DEMAND unreasonable pricing according to your wishes! The Phaeton is a competitor to the A8, S class and the 7 series. Why in the world would they price it at E class levels?
I agree to say that its a competitor to all the models you mentioned but it doesnt have the brand image or value.

Vw is soon launching a car worth Rs 4-5 Lakh in the Indian market. and this is the car from the same manufacturer for 75 lakh

would anyone buy a car from Maruti or Hyundai for 75 Lakh?

I agree this one is also technologically loaded but its quite a slow seller wherever its being sold.

my point of view might be different but not totally incorrect

and if i am given the offer to be the in-charge of pricing, i would definately price it at E-Class levels to steal some sales from Mercedes and BMW

Regarding the company..

I think its a bad move by VW to launch this car in the market such as INdia where it is simultaneously planning to launch its cheapest model the Polo, i am not saying polo is not a good car, but if VW's strategy is to look at all types of customers, from 4-75 lakh range, i think thats a too wide spectrum to look at
The have brands like AUdi etc to take care of that price range dont they?

Last edited by fx45 : 17th January 2010 at 01:05.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 01:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
would anyone buy a car from Maruti or Hyundai for 75 Lakh?
Well,in India VW i perceived more as an upmarket brand,definitely not in the league of Maruti or Hyundai.If people can buy the Touareg at similar prices,why not the Phaeton?

But upmarket brand or not,the stratospheric levels where the Phaeton is positioned,the other German luxo-barges will always have the upper hand.Here the VW brand is sure to take a beating.It will sell,but slowly.
Old 17th January 2010, 02:23   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Phaeton is not here to sell, and VW very well knows that it won't. The sole purpose of the 75 lakh Phaeton is to raise the value of the VW brand in the market. Think about it, super cool Beetle, 75 lakh luxury car, 60 lakh Touareg......and last, a 5 lakh rupee hatch. "Wow, I want a VW".

That's the plan atleast.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2010, 03:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Phaeton is not here to sell, and VW very well knows that it won't. The sole purpose of the 75 lakh Phaeton is to raise the value of the VW brand in the market. Think about it, super cool Beetle, 75 lakh luxury car, 60 lakh Touareg......and last, a 5 lakh rupee hatch. "Wow, I want a VW".

That's the plan atleast.
If this is the truth, then its a great idea and marketing strategy!! As you said, there will be lot of takers for the 5 lakh car made by the company which also makes a 75 lakh car. But isnt this move a very costly one? This may even lead to fall in the sales of Touareg!
Old 17th January 2010, 06:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

GTO has nailed it. That's what VW thinks, however, the small hatch market is a different ballgame and I think this might not work.
Old 17th January 2010, 06:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's the plan atleast.
Bingo! But super VFM could be a better way to go about this. Imagine german quality levels at way better prices then the competition. Right now all their cars are absurdly priced according to me atleast (sans the polo) why dont they not commit the mistake everyone else made and kick skoda out of the equation altogether? I mean are they trying to fit somewhere in between all the camry's and accords via vis mercs and bimmers?
Old 17th January 2010, 08:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

I feel this is a bad move by VW. The Phaeton for one is too understated and in India people want flashy cars at that pricerange. Second, no diesel. Third...its OLD. has been on the international market for ages.

They should have gone ahead and launched the brilliant VW CC priced against the 3 series and the brilliant Tiguan priced just above a CRV.
Old 17th January 2010, 08:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's the plan atleast.
I'm not sure if the Phaeton will have the same effect the Beetle or the 500 has.
Old 17th January 2010, 08:51   #14
njh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Totally agree with you nikhil. I got to drive a Phaeton and a BMW 7. The quality and level of luxury is much higher in the Phaeton than in the 7. I drove the 4 seater Phaeton and not the 5 seater. They are worlds apart. VW having the upper hand.
Old 17th January 2010, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njh View Post
Totally agree with you nikhil. I got to drive a Phaeton and a BMW 7. The quality and level of luxury is much higher in the Phaeton than in the 7. I drove the 4 seater Phaeton and not the 5 seater. They are worlds apart. VW having the upper hand.
Interesting, that explains your avatar pic (and I don't mean this in any way to slight you). It may be absolutely true, but a Phaeton will always remain a VW and a car that expensive needs a brand to carry it through.

Although one might argue that Volkswagen started it's innings in India (not talking about Skoda) with the higher end of the market, and that halo should rub off on it's small car; that doesn't cut much ice, because VW as a brand is not something Indians aspire for.
Funny the commercials say: "Das Auto" - I bet some people would take a dig at it by saying it's "Mr.Das's auto".

OT: What's with the marketing team at VW (that means Skoda too), did they bring in Germans to sell the car in India? How does one explain "Laura", you have to be kidding me, try saying that in Bihar!
Amartya is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks