Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 14:17   #16
oss
BHPian

This is a no-brainer for Suzuki. Fiat has only licensed the 75bhp 1.3JTD engine to Suzuki in India, and has been delaying licensing the other engines whcih Suzuki needs desperately in India.

They need bigger diesels to power the SX4 & GV and the forthcoming Kizashi, so VW becomes the obvious choice.

Maruti will surely continue with Fiat's 1.3 MJD for the Swift/Ritz/Dzire but get the bigger engines from VW for its bigger cars.

VW is already replacing their TDI-PD engines with TDI-CR worldwide, and their 2.0l TDI-CR currently doing duty in the 2009 Passat is reasonably refined and fuel efficient too.

Their 1.4l TDI-CR (from which the 1.1l TDI for Polo is derived, by removing one cylinder) is also a good engine.

Hope to see Maruti bringing these engines quickly to India.
Old 17th January 2010, 15:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
VW took the advantage of this bought stakes in Suzuki. Suzuki will provide wide sales & service network support to VW Product lineup & in return VW will share the Diesel Engine Technology & Engineering techniques to Suzuki.
the link given here says they won't be sharing sales and service network

Suzuki And VW: And They?re Off! | The Truth About Cars

as quoted by Suzuki, they have plans to carry on individually and VW have also agreed to same. So i don't see that happening any time soon. Also as stated in the link, they will stop buying engines from Renault, PSA and FIAT. They will be using only VW's diesel engine. Also, point to be noted is Suzuki's tie up with GM also ends next month i have high doubts it will be extended.

So the big question remains. will the 1.3 mjd continue on suzuki cars?

Last edited by chevelle : 17th January 2010 at 15:59.
Old 17th January 2010, 16:15   #18
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post

Their 1.4l TDI-CR (from which the 1.1l TDI for Polo is derived, by removing one cylinder) is also a good engine.
EDIT: I meant to say the 4 cyl. 1.6L TDI-CR, the current 1.2L TDI-CR bluemotion expected in POLO being the engine derived from the 1.6 by removing one cylinder.

EDIT2: The 1.4L TDI-CR is also a 3 cyl version, derived from their 1.9L TDI-PD engine. This may not be continued for long. This is being sacrified for the 2.0L TDI-CR which is more widely used in all the latest VW & Skoda cars.

Last edited by oss : 17th January 2010 at 16:17.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Osamu Suzuki: Suzuki plans to procure diesel engines from Volkswagen and would review its ties with PSA Peugeot Citroen and Renault SA, which currently supply diesel engines to Suzuki.

Source: Reuters - Suzuki to end hybrid development with GM | Reuters
So the point that Suzuki will be getting diesel engines from Volkswagen is confirmed. Only, how it materialises in India, is still to be seen.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
That made me remember a conversation I had with an American friend. We were talking about Indian car scene and he was surprised that Suzuki is the largest selling car, by far, in India. He said - "Don't they have real quality issues? At least that's what we feel in USA". I was surprised to hear it then, not now!
I dont think except for Honda & Toyota ( & their Acura & Lexus Brands) - no other brand is known for Quality in USA

Most of the people buy BMWs/Merc's/ Audi's with their extended 5 yr warranties / on lease & then sell them off before issues start - they are damn expensive to maintain outside warranty period !
Old 17th January 2010, 23:17   #21
BHPian

The european car manufacturer VW did very well in its home market: Europe. Its just that due to the after affects of recession , there is a demand slump in that market and therefore it was imperative for it to look outside. Most of the cars in europe have diesel engines, and one believes VW's diesel engines are quite good. Had VW's diesel engine been bad, it wont have done well in its staple market. Its not for nothing, that VW is such a huge conglomerate with brands like skoda, audi , . etc under its wing.

Perhaps, the reason its engine's dont do well over here, is due to its inability to acclimatise with our climate. One heard, somewhere that its new diesel engines wont work well here because of the 'Diesel Particulate Filter' issue, the fuel quality here being not that good.
Old 18th January 2010, 04:01   #22
BHPian

some small diesel engine are under develope by Suzuki Japan

New cars will help us retain leadership: S Nakanishi, MD & CEO, Maruti Suzuki Interview on future Model | SUZUKI FAN
Old 18th January 2010, 07:56   #23
BHPian

Why Suzuki will switch to VW diesel engines if FIAT MJD is getting a good efficiency except it is said to be underpowered.
I don't think that Suzuki will switch to VW diesel engines as their R & D is working on developing a new efficient diesel think as per the CarTradeIndia website.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Why Suzuki will switch to VW diesel engines if FIAT MJD is getting a good efficiency except it is said to be underpowered.
I don't think that Suzuki will switch to VW diesel engines as their R & D is working on developing a new efficient diesel think as per the CarTradeIndia website.
Its since last three years that the news about Suzuki developing its own diesel engine is coming up. But no results till now. It was rumored that Kizahi will debut with a twin turbo 2.0 diesel, but that has not materialized. Suzuki has been dealing with small capacity petrol motors and its here where they specialize. Also I doubt if Suzuki has enough resources to entirely develop a diesel engine range. They would rather spend their money for further product development like Kizashi and new Swift along with other Kei cars.

Suzuki had deal with Fiat for three engines, 1.3,1.6 and 1.9. So after such a deal its quite natural for any manufacturer to focus on petrol units and new models rather than developing a new range of engine.

This is where Suzuki took a beating. Fiat did not do tech transfer and for EU markets as well as Asian markets, Suzuki was in need of diesel units. Only thing is that the company with which they have signed the deal i.e. VW is not good.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:21   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

with the automatic synergies available between Suzuki and VW, I believe they will certainly tap into VW for Diesel power.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

VW diesels are much more fuel efficient and are also cleaner. With the Suzuki prowess of tuning it for us, there will be no slump in Maruti's diesel sales.
How many people bought the Swifts and Dzires for who developed the engine? very few. They don't care. Maruti with a good diesel engine is all they care about.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th January 2010 at 10:41.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:44   #27
BHPian

Interestingly I was told by suzuki rep. at expo that they are having trouble with fiat and are going to enter into a JV with GM who also owns the MJD Globally for their swift.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:50   #28
BHPian

Its a matter of economics and strictly in that sense, it is bound to hurt Suzuki as well as Fiat. The lone gainer from this appears to be VW. As far as where the Indian public stands in this, do they really care? Ultimate aim for all three manufacturers is to somehow gain the top slot. Suzuki had hit the jackpot by staying invested in a so called sarkari company, and it has paid rich dividends for them. Of late however, it seems in order to retain the top slot, rather than providing better products, they are more interested in providing cheaper products.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Even if such a thing is planned, I guess they will plan such only for the new launch of Suzuki in India if any with Diesel.

It would surely not make any sense for Maruti to change the engines of the current line up, as they have already gained market acceptance.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
...new diesel engines wont work well here because of the 'Diesel Particulate Filter' issue, the fuel quality here being not that good.
I kinda don't understand when someone tell this. When a 1.3 MJD (Fiat, Tata, Suzuki), 1.5 CRDI (Hyundai), 2.0 (Hyundai, Chevy, BMW), 2.5 D-4D (Toyota), 2.2 CDI (Merc), 3.0 (Merc, BMW), and a bunch more, generating power in the range of 75 BHP ~ 235 BHP and torque between 180 nm ~ 540 nm can run fine here after testing and adapting to our conditions, why is that some manufacturers crib about fuel quality?

Most Viewed