Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2018, 14:14   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Old car sold, new owner refusing to transfer ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Then I went to the police station and complained that my car had been stolen by the low life, provided his details from vahan and filed a complaint. (The police knew the whole story and were in the act). The call from the police accusing the lowlife as a thief was enough to put the fear into him and he registered the car in his name within a week.
I'm not sure why the cops decided to cooperate with you but this doesn't really work.

One doesn't lodge a complaint of car theft, its a proper FIR. Once you lodge an FIR the IO (Investigating Officer) would call you to check details and if you tell them that the car is actually stolen and later it turns out that it was a case of proper sale but ownership not being transferred then get ready for the consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by //HB View Post
If nothing else, there's a chance that the RTO will put the NOC on record indicating the start of transfer process.
I seriously doubt they are going to start anything at all. Given how corrupt RTOs are they wouldn't pay heed to any courier that doesn't come with the mandatory "fee" in it.
Old 29th November 2018, 21:55   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Good move there! 9 out of 10 folks are going to get the transfer done asap because of this.

How does sending these documents to RTO help? They aren't going to do anything without payment so how does a courier help here?
1. It was my record to prove that I have submitted my part of the ownership transfer documents to RTO. Registered post articles will be always delivered by Postal Dept. It is a different thing whether RTO follows up and keeps the document or not. Tomorrow if a case starts, I will have documents to back my claim.

2. It was also serving as an example to the buyer that I wont back down without the ownership transfer done.
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
I sold my WagonR to Ford provided agent as exchange by 2016. But even now i am seeing my name in the Vaahan. The car is currently running in Davangere/Karnataka. How do i know whether the name transfer happened or not?
If the vehicle is still showing in your name in Vaahan, it literally means no ownership transfer has happened still. Vaahan data gets updated on a regular basis as and when RTOs update their records. Since you sold to an agent as exchange and not to an unknown buyer, I suggest you to contact the agent or the dealer who facilitated this exchange and find out details regarding resale of your old car. You may probably need to alert/warn them that the car is still running in your name even after 2 years and that if transfer of ownership doesn't take place ASAP, you will be filing a complaint based on the exchange note issued by the agent/dealer. Hope this helps.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:54   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
If the vehicle is still showing in your name in Vaahan, it literally means no ownership transfer has happened still. Vaahan data gets updated on a regular basis as and when RTOs update their records. Since you sold to an agent as exchange and not to an unknown buyer, I suggest you to contact the agent or the dealer who facilitated this exchange and find out details regarding resale of your old car. You may probably need to alert/warn them that the car is still running in your name even after 2 years and that if transfer of ownership doesn't take place ASAP, you will be filing a complaint based on the exchange note issued by the agent/dealer. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for clarification. I will do the same.
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:02   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
The RTO guy refused to accept it and told me that it's the buyer's job. To be precise, he said (in Kannada) "you have sold your vehicle now, so it's over; it's not your headache anymore."
Something completely opposite happened to me in Jayanagar RTO a few weeks back. Decided to give away wife's old Kinetic to maids son, however decided that I would initiate the transfer process myself before I hand over the vehicle.

Got him to sign the papers, took an id proof, a few passport size pics and trudged to Jayanagar RTO. No one created a fuss. All I had to do was buy that file and "green cloth envelop" from outside. While checking the papers, they wanted to know if the buyer had provided his Aadhar xerox, which he had (bless him!).

They accepted the file, handed me the acknowledgement and told me that new RC would be dispatched to the buyer within a month.

Perhaps it was easy as both of us were in the same RTO- KA05, or maybe I was plain lucky.
ajayclicks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 18:34   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Something completely opposite happened to me in Jayanagar RTO a few weeks back. Decided to give away wife's old Kinetic to maids son, however decided that I would initiate the transfer process myself before I hand over the vehicle.

Got him to sign the papers, took an id proof, a few passport size pics and trudged to Jayanagar RTO. No one created a fuss. All I had to do was buy that file and "green cloth envelop" from outside. While checking the papers, they wanted to know if the buyer had provided his Aadhar xerox, which he had (bless him!).

They accepted the file, handed me the acknowledgement and told me that new RC would be dispatched to the buyer within a month.

Perhaps it was easy as both of us were in the same RTO- KA05, or maybe I was plain lucky.
I am sure your dealing went through smoothly because both the seller and buyer belonged to the same RTO jurisdiction and all required papers were intact. It becomes painful only when it's an inter-RTO or interstate transfer (in my case, it was from Bengaluru RTO to Chikballapur RTO) and the buyer doesn't cooperate in completing the transfer process. Usually, once the NOC is issued from seller's RTO to buyer's RTO, the process of transfer has to be initiated from buyer's RTO. In your case, none of that was needed as it was all within the same office, so you had a happy ending!

Last edited by shijanto4 : 3rd December 2018 at 18:38.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 19:32   #127
BHPian

Hi all,

My car met with an accident in Oct 2016 and after debating for some time, we agreed to sell it as scrap through the insurer (ICICI).

It was apparently purchased by a scrap dealer who did some repair and sold it ahead to a third party (I read about this scam on t-bhp later on). I was asked to come to RTO indiranagar and sign some papers for transfer, which I duly did.

Anyways, couple of months later there was a prolonged and severe medical emergency in family and I did not track the car further.

Couple of years later I casually checked who had bought the car and to my shock, Vaahan portal still showed me as owner. I immediately called this dealer who bought the car and he was pretty evasive, saying the buyer was not picking his call as well etc. He said he would chase the buyer but no promises.

After a few follow ups I had no luck getting anything out of him so I tried reaching the ICICI Lombard manager who had handled my case. He asked me to talk to the salvage manager who asked me to send the details and said he would look into it. I had again followed up a couple of times but no progress so far as even today I still see my name on the portal.

I have been guilty of not paying enough attention to this but I really want to get this over now. Please advise what my course of action should be. At the minimum, I want to indemnify myself against any unforeseen situations by either registering a complaint or getting an affidavit. Is there any such thing?

The portal does show the status as "NOC issued" which shows I did my part when I went to the RTO. In my full on stupidity, I did not even think of keeping a copy of the handover documents as I just signed and gave them to the ICICI Lombard.

The original RC expires in 2022.
Old 24th December 2019, 07:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar problem and need some advice. I had two two wheelers that I had sold in 2016. We had signed all the papers and since they seemed genuine, I didn't think it'll be a problem.
After a few months, I realized the transfer hadn't happened so I contacted the two.

One of them arrived promptly, we went to the RTO and got the transfer done. I moved cities and I forgot about the other. I kept reminding him and was assured it'll be done.

Last week I received a traffic challan from UP Police that I've broken a red light. Then I figured I still have the problem at hand. Contacted the owner. Threatened an FIR and then he claimed that he has sold it to someone else.

Now, what options do I have? I have all the signed documents and the Aadhar card and copy of the RC.

Should I submit the documents to the RTO? How does that work? Is there a counter where I can submit the documents for such cases?

Or, can I actually file an FIR ?
Old 24th December 2019, 08:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I have a similar problem and need some advice. I had two two wheelers that I had sold in 2016. We had signed all the papers and since they seemed genuine, I didn't think it'll be a problem.
What I was advised by the RTO for the exact same scenario is, you have to give a written complaint at the RTO where the bike was registered, the police station which comes under the person who bought the bike from you and the police station under your circle, keep the copies of all the complaints and the Police/RTO will do the rest. You have to mention the correct address of the person who bought from you with copies of all papers signed. You dont need to bother about the person who he sold it to now. In my case the owner sold it to another person, then another and it went on to 6 different individuals and it was literally impossible for the police to track all six. So they will book the person who bought it from you and the current owner for not changing it. Hope it helps

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th December 2019 at 17:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
Xaos636 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 17:04   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
... give a written complaint at the RTO where the bike was registered, the police station which comes under the person who bought the bike from you and the police station under your circle, keep the copies of all the complaints and the Police/RTO will do the rest...
Does this procedure apply pan India or only specific state/city?

Tia,
-BJ
Old 24th December 2019, 17:15   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Does this procedure apply pan India or only specific state/city?

Tia,
-BJ
In a logical state of thinking, I think it should apply everywhere. Think if he/she crashes into someone or causes a more serious issue with an automobile under your name, its better that you have the records with you. You will have the copy of all complaints you have given to the respective authority to clear the case and even though you still might be needed to be present for legal formalities, you can go through it with a peace of mind. In most cases, RTO/police will solve it. Thats their job after all. Do follow up with them regularly. After my incident, I am doing all the RTO formalities of name change myself for whatever I am selling. It was a hit and run in my case, of a motorcycle I sold 3 years back.
Old 14th January 2020, 16:48   #132
BHPian

I had sold my Benelli TNT300 in 2018 in exchange of a CBR250R. The buyer was an agent who had tie up with the Honda showroom. I recently checked on vahaan, and the bike is still on my name. On calling the agen, he informed that the bike has not found any buyer yet and is still with him.

What action would be correct in this case?

The problem here, is that if the agent takes the bike on his name, he would become the second owner. And then if the bike finds a actual 2nd buyer, then he would eventually become the 3rd owner of the bike.
Old 26th February 2020, 18:11   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
... bike has not found any buyer yet and is still with him.
Recently checked on the Vahaan app, the benelli still showed on my name. Contacted the agent, he said that the bike has been sent to UP with a NOC.

I asked for the NOC, since then the agent is not replying or answering my calls.

What action can I take?
Old 26th February 2020, 18:32   #134
BHPian

Can we file a stolen report in the police?

The agreement when signing the forms is that the vehicle will get transferred. If it is still in my name after months / years of hand over, there must be some legal action that should be possible.
Old 28th June 2020, 12:02   #135
BHPian

Bumping this old thread, I have a similar problem.

Last year in september, we bought a new honda wrv and gave our old swift in exchange. We were told the ownership will be transferred in max 90 days.

Today I checked my old car's details on parivahan website, turns out, my car is in Bhatinda and still running under my name!

So ownership was not transferred as promised by the Honda dealership .

What should be my next course of action?
Should I question the dealership or take any action against them?

Most Viewed