Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 13:52   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 AT/MT - Why not in India

Does GM has any plans to launch this in India too?

I feel this would give them a chance to capture more market space.
Any comments?
Attached Images

Old 21st January 2010, 17:43   #2
BHPian

yes agreed.but the product in india belongs to a particular segment! that is the D segment. and the competition is with corolla, laura, jetta, civic.

why its in d segment first of all!

1) the dimensions. are comparable to civic and corolla.
2) similar engine specs. 1.8 ltr petrol cruze makes 140 hp similar to civic and corolla. because of detuning due to fuel quality civic and corolla are rated at 132 hp in india.

if they could price the petrol powered cruze below the diesel powered cruze and below other rivals it would be so awesome!

Last edited by Caramelo : 21st January 2010 at 17:54.
Old 21st January 2010, 17:50   #3
BHPian

GM has had a very bad experience with the petrol Optra in this segment in terms of sales numbers. I doubt a Cruze petrol would sell for say a lakh less than the diesel - which is about 10Lakhs for base.

GM will probably not price is any cheaper due to a) Cannibalization of Optra sales and b) Keeping the premium of the Cruze brand intact.
Old 21st January 2010, 18:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

1.6 will be weak for this big of a car.

What I'd like to see is the 1.4 turbo that will go into the USDM Cruze and is rated at 40 mpg.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:54   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fat chance of any petrol Cruze coming our way. It simply won't sell. The powerful diesel is one of the Cruze' USPs....and that's the card that GM has been playing as well.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:25   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the Auto Cruz will come soon, but the Petrol (given their learnings with optra 1.6 & 1.8) will not sell in decent enough numbers for it to make sense. In that segment I guess only Honda / Toyota have a shot at petrol sales, (exception could be a petrol vehcile priced 2L below the diesel) for the same trim levels.
Old 22nd January 2010, 12:50   #7
BHPian

What I am looking at is Aveo sedan and this Cruze 1.6 are differed in price only by a few thousand S$. See the picture down

I feel GM can replace Aveo1.6 with this Cruze1.6 as this is not doing pretty well in terms of volume.

Moreover with the killing looks and features of this beast they could definitely capture some market space.

I'm looking about the sales figures not the segments
Attached Images

Old 22nd January 2010, 13:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fat chance of any petrol Cruze coming our way. It simply won't sell. The powerful diesel is one of the Cruze' USPs....and that's the card that GM has been playing as well.
yeah, who would wanna buy a petrol cruze first of all when you have the diesel loaded with great pricing and powerful engine. that diesel motor is their trump card. :me.
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. There is a small percentage of the market that do not use their cars for more than 15 km runs a day. There another percentage of the market that is vehemently opposed to Diesel as a fuel. These two segments have some overlap and I would put them both at around 15% of the Cruze's total market.

These are the same folks who would buy a car like the Jetta 1.6L Petrol. If GM were to plonk the same 1.6L that's in the Optra into the Cruze, the result would be more insipid than the Diesel thats that in there now. But it'd sell.

Now if they bought in a direct injection, latest gen, small capacity Petrol engine to be shared amongst their platforms.... Thats what the competition is doing anyway
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:08   #10
BHPian

I don't think GM would repeat the mistake they did with positioning the Optra in both 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines, the D segment market wouldnt accept a similar shell sold in C segment.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that.

The biggest USP of the Cruze is the option to get the amazing Diesel power plant at a lower price than comparable competitors. A pertol, even if launched, may go the petrol Optra way, me thinks.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
While i agree to a certain extent GTO, there is a market for a petrol cruze. The diesel engine is surely quite expensive, even more than the optra magnum engine. Diff in price between the top end optra petrol and diesel is 1.1 lakh(bangalore). A petrol cruze could potentially be at least 1.2-1.3 lakhs cheaper which undercuts the civic and corolla by a fair margin
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

The 1.6 motor from the Optra will drag with all of Cruz's bulk.
Remember, Cruz sells well also as Honda and Toyota dont have diesel engines in this segment. The petrol Cruz will have to compete with Civic and Corolla and its really hard to beat them unless there is a powerful motor at a way lower price and loaded to the brim.
Old 22nd January 2010, 21:47   #14
BHPian

I know GM has learnt their lessons with the Optra debacle. But then launching a Cruze Petrol and making it a success is not an impossible task.

If GM brings in a Cruze Petrol with a gem of an engine that is very responsive and fuel effecient and priced 1.2 - 1.5 Lakhs lesser than the Diesel version, I feel there will be takers for this. A fairly equipped Cruze petrol at price of top end Honda City and lower end Corolla Altis i.e around Cedias price is quite appealing to me. Young guys might go for the Cruze while the middle aged executives conservatively opt for an Altis.

It will still be a tough ride for Cruze petrol, but I believe theres a place for it. Two things to be done
1. Plonk in a brillaint petrol engine not some lousy ones.
2. Brilliant positioning and marketing the Cruze petrol
Old 25th January 2010, 23:11   #15
BHPian

I Believe there is no place for 1.6 ltr Petrol Cruze in India. Brilliant pricing of Diesel Cruze will force that to be in a lower segment, which will kill the brand Cruze. GM must have realized it. The only possibility is a powerful and fully loaded 1.8 ltr Petrol engine car, with price not far away from the diesel car.

Most Viewed