Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 19:53   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Skoda is single handedly responsible for inflated prices of ALL Cars between the 8lac-35lacs! Instead of launching the New Octavia at then existing prices
About time this revision happened, hopefully it will be a segment wise correction rather than just a brand. For all you know, it will be VW who ends up following Skodas Premium pricing strategy and everything remains the same..
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
I have a silly question. If they can sell an laura at 11.9 ex and fabia in price range of 4.5L, then weren't they overcharging earlier and making a fat profit?

I dont think the car manufacturers here price based on cost of manufacturing the car but they price it according to where they want to position the car. This is not right.
As usual, we have criticism of pricing in a completely free market. Why is it so hard to realize that you, a customer, are free to buy other products if you think Skoda is overcharging? If Skoda drop their prices, that's great news. But it doesn't change the fact that they have the right to charge whatever they want for their cars.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

The article also says, localization will be upped to 50% from 15%. Hope the localized part will be of the same standards presently used.
And if they can do something about their lousy A.S.S and maintain the same build quality, the products would definitely be worth buying.
Old 21st January 2010, 21:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Skoda is doing everything to gain market share.
Are they? Then the first thing to be done is to fix their dodgy dealers and service centers and fix issues with existing customers like Harish, rather then torturing them :(
Till then, I wouldn't buy a Laura even if priced < 10L
Old 21st January 2010, 21:40   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
As usual, we have criticism of pricing in a completely free market. Why is it so hard to realize that you, a customer, are free to buy other products if you think Skoda is overcharging? If Skoda drop their prices, that's great news. But it doesn't change the fact that they have the right to charge whatever they want for their cars.
Well said India is one of the most competitive car market if people do find something pricey and or not having enough value they will reject the product be it Honda( Jazz) or Skoada ( Fabia ) . After all Skoda Superb does outsell Honda Accord this is too subjective and they are charging what customers are willing to pay and it is not overcharging . More than pricing of product it is poor A.S.S which is hurting them .
Old 21st January 2010, 22:19   #95
BHPian

I have a slightly different view. I don't blame Skoda but believe its Mitsubishi who is the culprit.
When Skoda came to India with their Octavia, the diesel's competition was predominantly only from Lancer diesel.
For the petrol, Octavia had to fight with the Corolla and Accord who had a solid foothold in the market.
Their focus was on the diesel market which was less crowded but had good market. Mitsubishi should have realized this and brought a new Lancer to keep Octavia at bay or at least a Cedia Diesel. If they had done so, Octavia would have been faced out/priced much lesser and Laura would have been at prices similar to present Octavia. Skoda would have even ensured a much better A$$ to keep Lancer at bay.
So its Mitsubishi, who is to be blamed
Old 21st January 2010, 22:29   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
After all Skoda Superb does outsell Honda Accord this is too subjective and they are charging what customers are willing to pay and it is not overcharging . More than pricing of product it is poor A.S.S which is hurting them .
Not sure if Petrol Superb is selling more than Accord. But true, A$$ is killing more sales than any other factor
Old 21st January 2010, 22:57   #97
BHPian

Skoda should lower the prices not only of cars but also of spares as service costs are also important.The move is necessary if skoda does not wants to become opel.
Old 21st January 2010, 23:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

i believe this is the same as
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-3-lacs.html
Old 24th January 2010, 22:23   #99
BHPian

Skoda, apparently has rejected this news today as per ET

Quote:
We are not in the mass segment and will not definitely look at it. We will not dilute our position," Skoda Auto India Senior GM Sales and Marketing Ashutosh Dixit told PTI.
Old 24th January 2010, 23:28   #100
BHPian

I wonder how Skoda manages to stay in a market like India with a crappy A.S.S. Network.
If, Skoda wants to even exist with VW , they have to start working on their dealerships.
Quality products are of no use with out a good service.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:02   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
As usual, we have criticism of pricing in a completely free market. Why is it so hard to realize that you, a customer, are free to buy other products if you think Skoda is overcharging?
I do not agree to this. Real Estate is a free market too. But we have seen cases of artificially inflated prices due to cartels among developers being formed in the real estate market. This is a proven economic theory that a deregulated free market tends to a bust due to artificial economic bubbles.

Why do you think that Tata was able to make the Nano? Do they have the best R&D labs in the world? No, they definitely dont. But they put in the effort in the right direction. A lot of these car companies in India have higher prices due to low localization. The reasons for that are generally lower efforts in building a supplier base here and tendencies for lower initial investment.

I'll give the example of the Reliance refinery in Jamnagar. Reliance went about creating the capacity and then the demand. A lot of these car companies tend to wait for the demand to justify the investments in capacity. Some of them have paid for it( Logan from Renault flopped due to lower localization). Some like Skoda will pay later.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
When will Skoda stop selling the Octavia in India like they did everywhere else??
I know that this is an old thread but could not resist.

I realize that Skoda service is a big issue, especially with the large number of named issues being faced by members of this forum. But repeatedly flogging Skoda over selling a discontinued model in India just does not make sense. Vehicle for Vehicle, the Octavia which is built on the Golf IV platform, is far superior to any entry D (Optra, Corolla, Civic) cars sold in India.

There are far many older cars sold in India which people do not harp about.

For example

1. Maruti 800 -- Replaced by Maruti Zen as Suzuki Alto all over the world in 1991, which was replaced by Maruti Alto as Suzuki Alto all over the world in 1998, which was replaced by Maruti A-Star as Suzuki Alto all over the world in 2008.
2. Maruti Alto -- Replaced by Maruti A-Star as Suzuki Alto all over the world in 2008.
3. Maruti Wagon R -- In 2009, the third Generation was introduced in Japan.
4. Hyundai Santro -- Replaced by Hyundai i10
5. Hyundai Getz -- Replaced by Hyundai i20
6. Hyundai Elantra -- Replaced by Hyundai i30

and the list goes on. why single Skoda.
Old 26th January 2010, 01:35   #103
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like............this........Thanks

whatever the price may be... I am surely not going for another Skoda ever..after experiencing their pathetic after-sales service...
in fact my father was offering me his 2006 model Superb (while he upgrades to an Audi), which I politely declined... I wud rather drive a Hyundai Santro than maintain a Superb!!

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2010 at 20:31. Reason: See Mod Note in post
Old 26th January 2010, 20:33   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
and the list goes on. why single Skoda.
Probably because Skoda is the only premium car manufacturer to do so? I mean, the Octavia is the most expensive outdated (discontinued) car you can buy in India. And frankly, the product itself is showing its age today. Poor interior packaging, non-common rail engine....the market is making its preference clear by choosing the Laura over the Octavia. Yup, the Laura does outsell its older sibling.

I can totally understand economy manufacturers like say, Maruti, selling outdated models. But certainly not a brand that has premium aspirations.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:36   #105
Senior - BHPian

Skoda does have some serious problem

Guy's here know I'm a big fan of Skoda , recently I'm beginning to feel sorry for them . I had an idea of starting a dealership in our area (ie. Kanyakumari, Tirunelvelli and to a bit Trivandrum) For a change I thought maybe we'd get an opportunity to provide good after sales service to customers. But guess what , I'm not getting any kind of response from Skoda India. Guess they are just happy with their current shrewd dealers and not bothered about customer woes.

Most Viewed