Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For a right hand driven car, I prefer the indicator combination switch (lever) to be
on the right side of steering 178 82.03%
on the left side of steering 39 17.97%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 19:53   #31
akp
BHPian

Given a choice, I prefer the indicator control on my left. The reason is that being a right hander, I prefer to use my right hand to control the steering all the time (which to me is the most crucial thing that we control with hands while driving) and keep the left hand for other odd jobs.

Overwhelming majority here seem to feel headlamp/indicator control on the right is better. But in arguments like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What about usability, changing gears while flashing headlamps or operating indicators? Basically you are forced not to operate indicator while shifting gears right?
we are ignoring situations where your right hand is on the steering but while maneuvering it, have gone away from the indicator knob. Besides, for changing gears, one need not keep one's hand on the gear more than a fraction of a second. And same for using indicators.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

I prefer headlamp and indicator switch on Right side of steering. Often one has to do both the things very quickly and its more convenient to use right hand to switch on indicators and left to shift gears.
I dont like LHS setup being offered in RHD cars.

Also I would love to see Headlamp level adjustment on steering controls instead of audio.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Simple logic as everyone said, LHDs - Left side and RHDs - right side.

Its all about easy accessibility for the driver.
to Raja!! That's exactly what I think.
Driven Santro Xing earlier and now driving GP I know what pain it is to have these controls on wrong side.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:02   #34
BHPian

I think it is just a matter of getting accustomed. Each side will have its own pros and cons.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Your left hand will be engaged with constant changes with gear - so you take that hand away from the steering frequently. The right hand should concentrate on steering.
My logic is one hand always on steering, and the other hand for the lights, gear shift, steering mounted audio controls, hand brake, controlling AC etc.

I voted for the left hand, it was very convenient to me in Aveo - I hope GM products comes this way.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:24   #36
BHPian

Ideally the indicator/headlamp stalk should be on the side away from gear lever. In earlier times, when the gear lever was steering mounted, this was the case. Now I guess manufacturers just want to plonk the steering wheel assembly from a LHD car to a RHD car without caring for ergonomics.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Ideally the indicator/headlamp stalk should be on the side away from gear lever. In earlier times, when the gear lever was steering mounted, this was the case. Now I guess manufacturers just want to plonk the steering wheel assembly from a LHD car to a RHD car without caring for ergonomics.
That is a great thought, NutsNBolts. That probably explains the original reason behind the positioning.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
I prefer to use my right hand to control the steering all the time (which to me is the most crucial thing that we control with hands while driving) and keep the left hand for other odd jobs.
As long as the odd jobs are limited to gear shifts, handbrake and wiper operation, you should be fine.

Quote:
Overwhelming majority here seem to feel headlamp/indicator control on the right is better. But in arguments like this:

we are ignoring situations where your right hand is on the steering but while maneuvering it, have gone away from the indicator knob.
This situation normally arises when you want to take a turn, in which case you should have switched on the turn signal well before your start your turn and not when you are half way through the manouvere. Hence this point is not valid.

Quote:
Besides, for changing gears, one need not keep one's hand on the gear more than a fraction of a second. And same for using indicators.
This may be true for the highway. What about bumper to bumper city traffic where you have to constantly keep shifting gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Your left hand will be engaged with constant changes with gear - so you take that hand away from the steering frequently.
That's exactly the point. This is why we require the controls on the right hand side so that it can be operated with your right hand, which is always on the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
The right hand should concentrate on steering.
My logic is one hand always on steering, and the other hand for the lights, gear shift, steering mounted audio controls, hand brake, controlling AC etc.
Are you sure you can manage all this with one hand ?
Old 28th January 2010, 12:06   #39
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This situation normally arises when you want to take a turn, in which case you should have switched on the turn signal well before your start your turn and not when you are half way through the manouvere. Hence this point is not valid.
Well, think of roundabouts and staggered junctions. You often need to change your indicator signal even as you are turning. You think of a situation where indicator on the right is better and I can think of another where indicator control on the left is better. My point was NOT that what I prefer is better, but merely that one should not ignore the pluses of the other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This may be true for the highway. What about bumper to bumper city traffic where you have to constantly keep shifting gears?
I drive quite a lot in bumper to bumper traffic. But I am yet to come across situations where I need to `constantly' shift gears as you put it. A little more frequently, yes, but constantly? No.

I agree with those who say it is all a matter of getting used to. I have two cars that have the indicator levers on opposite sides, so I believe I am not biased by my usage (disclaimer: I am not suggesting that others are). Only inconvenience I face is when I switch from one to the other.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, think of roundabouts and staggered junctions. You often need to change your indicator signal even as you are turning. You think of a situation where indicator on the right is better and I can think of another where indicator control on the left is better. My point was NOT that what I prefer is better, but merely that one should not ignore the pluses of the other option.
My point here is that in this scenario the headlamp/indicator stalk on the right side would be more suitable. As your right hand is always on the steering, it is easier to indicate with your right hand as you need not take it off the steering wheel, while this is not the case for your left hand. Also, in case of staggered junctions/roundabouts you always need to straighten before you turn in the opposite direction. Here, when the wheel is straight, you can turn on the indicator, before turning the steering in the next direction. Hope you understand my point.

Quote:
I drive quite a lot in bumper to bumper traffic. But I am yet to come across situations where I need to `constantly' shift gears as you put it. A little more frequently, yes, but constantly? No.
What I meant was the need to frequently upshift/downshift to avoid riding the clutch. Like a situation were you hit 20kmph, shift to 2nd, then come to halt,shift back to neutral, again shift to 1st and start moving and so on.

Quote:
I agree with those who say it is all a matter of getting used to. I have two cars that have the indicator levers on opposite sides, so I believe I am not biased by my usage (disclaimer: I am not suggesting that others are). Only inconvenience I face is when I switch from one to the other.
I agree its a matter of getting used to, but still I would say that the headlamp/indicator stalk on the RHS is way more convenient.

(Disclaimer : I have driven both before coming to this conclusion. Views of others can vary.)
Old 28th January 2010, 12:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

I want my left hand on the gear lever most of the time during city driving. I don't want to operate the indicators with the same hand - simple reason.

"You don't have to operate indicators while you shift gears of you are a good driver" kind of arguments are baseless.

Indicators on the right side of steering is anyday better, period.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:37   #42
BHPian

This thread is a clear tribute to Maruti who has ensured that we hate everything European/American/Australian & also remain as rigid as possible.

I just don't understand why is it so difficult for us to adapt & learn? The human mind & body are engineered to adapt & if people like us, who are supposed to be slight above the normal drivers, don't adapt then who will?

Going through countless threads I have also realized that anything radical done by any manufacturer almost every time takes a royal beating especially if its an Indian manufacturer (baring Maruti of course).

Why should only Chevy & Ford learn? Mercedes & BMW's also have the same switch arrangement. No one seems to be criticizing them?
Old 28th January 2010, 12:38   #43
BHPian

Left or right : it does not make any difference to me. In fact, if it was not for this thread, i would not have even thought about this issue.
And I have never come across a situation where I have to constantly change gears AND use the lights / indicator lever.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Left or right : it does not make any difference to me. In fact, if it was not for this thread, i would not have even thought about this issue.
And I have never come across a situation where I have to constantly change gears AND use the lights / indicator lever.
I come across such situation everyday. There is a circle inside the office campus, where I will be always downshifting and at the same time turning on indicators. I think usage like this gets evolved if you have the equipment to support such usage. It also depends on how much comfortable you are in operating multiple things at the same time while driving.

I've seen noob drivers who'll lose concentration on steering while doing a gearshift. The indicator level position doesn't matter for them because they will be operating that switch alone at any given time and won't be making a shift.

Some others can't make a gearshift while overtaking because both their hands will be glued to the steering while they overtake. I am far more comfortable while driving and I can comfortably shift gears even while I am halfway through the overtaking maneuver if it is required.

For some people it is a scary thing to even shift to 5th gear - they think that once they do that, car will take control over the speed and they will be a bit worried and uncomfortable until they downshift to 4th.

For people who makes use of the gears well, makes the right shifts whenever they want, by taking into account the current speed, the need to increase decrease speed, the load in the car etc, the gear lever will be much frequently used control in the car. And for them, having the indicator switch on the right side of steering is a boon.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Left or right : it does not make any difference to me.
+1 to that.
Its just a matter of time that you get used to the car that you are driving and then you dont face that kinda problem. I have driven opel cars which have the idicators on the left side and i drive maruti suzuki now which has the indicators on the right side..but never faced any problem as such.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks