Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For a right hand driven car, I prefer the indicator combination switch (lever) to be
on the right side of steering 178 82.03%
on the left side of steering 39 17.97%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 14:44   #61
BHPian

On the contrary, I prefer the wiper lever to be on the RHS, while it is rainy. I normally change the wiper speed constantly according to the strength of the rain, which means RHS placement of wiper lever is better for me. But i have noticed that most of the cars on road use a single speed(mostly the max or max-1 speed even if it is just a drizzle) through out. For them it does not matter.
And about doing the Gear shift and indicator lever tapping at the same time, I don't do that. I tap the indicator lever, then change the gear. simple.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
On the contrary, I prefer the wiper lever to be on the RHS, while it is rainy. I normally change the wiper speed constantly according to the strength of the rain, which means RHS placement of wiper lever is better for me. But i have noticed that most of the cars on road use a single speed(mostly the max or max-1 speed even if it is just a drizzle) through out. For them it does not matter.
And about doing the Gear shift and indicator lever tapping at the same time, I don't do that. I tap the indicator lever, then change the gear. simple.
Well, it al depends how often you do 'this' and how often you do 'that'.
this -> driving in rains
that -> turning
Whichever you do more often, you might want a hand free to be able to do that.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:02   #63
BHPian

Guys,

Both types have their own advantages adn limtations. Let u snot lose our sleep on this. It's a matter of getting used to from one model to another. After that, I do not see any of those to be a major issue. We should drop the matter here itself. Go, grab a bottle of beer...the weekend is knocking on the door, guys.

I did not vote for above reason. Hope you guys will understand my view.

Cheers
Pratim
Old 29th January 2010, 16:05   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Well, it al depends how often you do 'this' and how often you do 'that'.
this -> driving in rains
that -> turning
Whichever you do more often, you might want a hand free to be able to do that.
Hmm... not exactly. Apparently, "this" is much less. I do "that" more. But while "that" and the use of indicator stalk is less and used in a diff style so that gearing is not affected-> so the stalks position does not matter. While "this" i use the wiper stalk more often for changing speeds, single swipe wash n wipe and also for the rear window wiper. So RHS positioning of Wiper is better for me while "this".
Enuff of "this " and "that"

EDIT: just saw pratim's post. yeah it is not at all an issue. I just wanted to see the things from a diff perspective.

Last edited by Matt : 29th January 2010 at 16:08.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hmm... not exactly. Apparently, "this" is much less. I do "that" more. But while "that" and the use of indicator stalk is less and used in a diff style so that gearing is not affected-> so the stalks position does not matter. While "this" i use the wiper stalk more often for changing speeds, single swipe wash n wipe and also for the rear window wiper. So RHS positioning of Wiper is better for me while "this".
Enuff of "this " and "that"
I feel this has something to do with the type of wiper stalk your car is equipped with. If your car is equipped with push up/down type of stalk it should be fine. You can control the wiper operation with your hand on the steering wheel. Pull for water spraying, push up for a single swipe, push down in 2/3 stages to operate wiper at preset speeds. This is the most user friendly type of stalk. Also since we will be using the turn signals more than the wipers, it makes sense to have what we use most on the right hand side on a RHD vehicle.
Old 29th January 2010, 23:46   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer LHS controls.
Even BMW/Mercs have it this way, and I just prefer it that way for some reason.
Old 30th January 2010, 09:24   #67
SDP
Team-BHP Support

In Indian context (RHD), I would accept a left side arrangement if only I can get the person in the passenger seat to operate them for me http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 7th February 2010, 17:06   #68
BHPian

LHS any day. Right hand remains dedicated to the steering wheel, left for everything else. Normally hold the wheel either center top or bottom with the other hand on the shift.

Have driven cars many a times which have the controls on the RHS, and have never faced the problem of switching between the two, but in the RHS indicator arrangement, I frequently find myself shifting my hand position on the wheel.

A simple turn, the Left Hard puts the indicator, the Left hard shifts down, and the Right hand takes care of the turn. Mid turn the Left hand joins the right. Just somehow comes across as logical.

As opposed to, Right hand gives the indicator, Left hand downshifts, Right hand initiates the Turn. Although not too difficult, but sounds like a lot of Left, Right, Left happening.

Just my thought though.
Old 7th February 2010, 17:35   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer the headlamp+ Indicator switch on the right. Plus its a safety hazard when people used to Rhs configuration drive a car with Lhs configuration.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:37   #70
kkg
BHPian

i prefer the LHS configuration because i grew up with it. first it was Matiz and now Spark. Its just how one started learning.

Or may be i am getting ready for some high end Euro spec cars or may be i'll shift to Europe one day. WOW.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:31   #71
BHPian

I would prefer the RHS configuration of light and turn indicator stick. I completely agree with CleverMax's perspective of gear shifting. Infact, while driving within city ( which happens 80% for me ) I too have my left hand almost continuously on the gear leaver. RHS configuration really becaomes a blessing in such cases.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
LHS any day. Right hand remains dedicated to the steering wheel, left for everything else. Normally hold the wheel either center top or bottom with the other hand on the shift.
You are asking for trouble. Don't try to imitate rally drivers style for normal driving. Rallying is done in a controlled environment. There will not be any oncoming traffic here. Ideally you should have both hands on the steering wheel for as long as possible. Left hand should come off the steering only for gear shifts.

Quote:
Have driven cars many a times which have the controls on the RHS, and have never faced the problem of switching between the two, but in the RHS indicator arrangement, I frequently find myself shifting my hand position on the wheel.
Do you mean to say that for LHS configuration you don't need to shift your hand positiom on the wheel?

Quote:
A simple turn, the Left Hard puts the indicator, the Left hard shifts down, and the Right hand takes care of the turn. Mid turn the Left hand joins the right. Just somehow comes across as logical.
Whatever the configuration, you should switch on the indicator well before you start your manuovere. Both hands should be on the steering wheel while making a turn. I know it's easy to do it with one hand on a vehicle equipped with power steering, but it is not advicable in the interest of safety. It's very easy to lose control over your vehicle if you take a turn using one hand only. If necessary, downshift before entering a turn, not while halfway through it.

Quote:
As opposed to, Right hand gives the indicator, Left hand downshifts, Right hand initiates the Turn. Although not too difficult, but sounds like a lot of Left, Right, Left happening.
That's the way it ought to be.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:43   #73
BHPian

or would someone prefer the old amby's way. The indicator was a small paddle like thing on the steering centre. above the horn. you moved it left for left indicator, right for right indicator.

Wiper was single speed and used a push-pull switch to activate it. Dimmer/dipper was a small button to be foot activated (easy when you had the bench seats in front).

For people to understand the locations, take a look at these images of a MK3 Amby
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...tml#post916418

I read somewhere that even Mercs had this system of dim/dip (at least the initial E-class ones that MBIL had in India). People, you opinion on this.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just my thought though.
I have been driving RHD cars with LHS indicator stalks for a long time and have gotten used to it. As a matter of fact all cars in UK have to have the indicator stalks on the left. So I guess there is not much issue with safety regarding their placement.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:02   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Prefer the RHS mounting although I am used to the LHS mounting in my Aveo. Not an issue usually except in stop-start traffic when gear changing & indicating a turn happens either concurrently or immediately following one another. That's when I prefer my Santro's RHS stalk mounting :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks