Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For a right hand driven car, I prefer the indicator combination switch (lever) to be
on the right side of steering 178 82.03%
on the left side of steering 39 17.97%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:02   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
LHS any day. Right hand remains dedicated to the steering wheel, left for everything else. Normally hold the wheel either center top or bottom with the other hand on the shift.
There shouldnt be a requirement to change your hand position in steering for RHS controls if you hold steering between 2-3PM. The control shuould be in such manner that your finger should be able to dab. That is altogether another usability feature.

As indicated, logically for RHD it should be RHS. Cant imagine any car manufacturer daring to do a RHS in LHD.
Old 2nd April 2010, 08:34   #77
BHPian

I used to drive my dad's Ikon and 800 pretty regularly once upon a time and they had the indicator/wiper stalks on opposing sides. I don't remember making too many mistakes then. At worst, I would hit the wrong stalk the first time I used that car - 800 or Ikon - for the day, and then I would be set. I don't care where they are placed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:43   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I feel that the matter is more about familiarity. Think of it this way : Over 90% of the cars sold in this country have the indicator stalk on the RHS, and the wipers on the LHS. Translated, over 90% of Indian drivers are "used" to the RHS stalk layout. Its pretty obvious what most drivers will reach out for, intuitively or in an emergency situation, when they need either the lights, indicators or wipers.

This is reason enough for the authorities to regulate RHS oriented controls on all new cars.
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:30   #79
BHPian

Logically, it should be in the right hand side, but I guess its a matter of getting used to. I am currently driving my first car and I have no issues in operating the indicators or even flashing. I guess you subconsciously work out ways to use the indicator/flash without interfering with the gear changing operations. But it would have been a different matter if I was used to a right hand side indicator switch
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I feel that the matter is more about familiarity. Think of it this way : Over 90% of the cars sold in this country have the indicator stalk on the RHS, and the wipers on the LHS. Translated, over 90% of Indian drivers are "used" to the RHS stalk layout. Its pretty obvious what most drivers will reach out for, intuitively or in an emergency situation, when they need either the lights, indicators or wipers.

This is reason enough for the authorities to regulate RHS oriented controls on all new cars.
Well, I feel its about logic. You definitely can get used to - either LHS or RHS. The thing is, you do something quite often, it gets hardwired. So you can get used to either LHS or RHS and then even shift. However is there a logic to place them on LHS or RHS - i feel yes, there s one and that demands it to be on RHS.

Finally, the poll question is only on what i prefer and i prefer RHS.

Last edited by vigneshA : 3rd April 2010 at 23:55.
Old 4th April 2010, 23:12   #81
BHPian

For India, right hand side should be the regulation. This seems logical enough that the turn indicator has to be on the other side of the gear shift especially in a manual. We usually change gears and signal a turn at the same time. So the turn indication is done easiest with one finger of the (right) hand still on the steering. This way the left hand can be on the gear stick most of the time.

I have not seen any car in the US where they have the turn signal on the right side; I cant find a standard or a regulation that specifies this. See what Wikipedia has to say on this: Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is such a pet peeve that I had to rule out all European cars and most American cars from the running in making my decision. They are trying to save a few bucks by transplanting the same steering column from their LHD models. It is only due to laxity of Indian regulation in automotive standards that these manufacturers are getting away with this. I am glad Chevy is finally fixing this in their cars - The Beat and Cruze have it in the correct position for India. The Polo and Figo messed this up big-time. Paying attention to localization details like this are what impressed me about Hyundai (in addition to the Japanese mfrs).

Another thing that people should think about and comment on is how fanatic you are about indicating turns. Do you do it 100% of the time? Do you indicate turns while your baby is bawling, your wife is angry and you are tired? ;-) while signaling lane changes? (Do you even care about lanes? )

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 02:01.
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2010, 11:12   #82
BHPian

Different opinion

I regularly drive a car with indicator on LHS. However, I manage cars with indicators on RHS without any trouble.
Do I prefer any one of them? I don't really care.

Question: Which side is better/safer?
My take: Most people here seem to prefer RHS. One of the main reason seems to be that you can turn on the indicator without having to move your hands either from the steering or the gear knob. This is mostly true to day-to-day driving.

However, what about a road with twisties. You want to switch your indicator in a sharp turn. Its not so straight-forward, but we manage. This may be a draw-back for RHS indicators.

Most of us also like to keep the left hand on the gear knob. However, we don't constantly change gears. The left hand is "freer" that your right hand. Occasionally taking your hand off the gear knob for switching indicators does not hurt that much.

Overall, I feel that its just a matter of getting used to.

Question: Should RHS indicators be made mandatory in India?
My take: No. The Bulleteers still prefer their gear toe-shifters on the RHS while every other bike that I know of has toe-shifters on the left. Enfield has yielded to market pressure and released some bikes with shifters on LHS.

And what about international standardization. What would happen if the accelerator, brake and clutch order was changed? There seems to be an agreement in all countries/manufacturers about this order (thought it happened coincidentally rather than by design). Most people here have (or have had) trouble when they go to the US with the indicator switches. And most got used to it, right.
So, again I feel that its a matter of getting used to. No standardization is necessary.

My preference:
Okay, I have refrained so far from stating my preference. But if were made to choose, I would prefer all the switches on the steering wheel within easy reach of my thumb .

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 02:02.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
The left hand is "freer" that your right hand. Occasionally taking your hand off the gear knob for switching indicators does not hurt that much.
What is the logic behind saying that left hand is "freer" than right hand?

Isn't it the other way round? Left hand has to control steering and gear shift. If the burden of indicator also comes on left hand, then how can left hand be free?
Old 5th April 2010, 14:48   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
What is the logic behind saying that left hand is "freer" than right hand?
Mostly we keep the left hand on the gear knob so we can quickly shift. However, how much time is spent in waiting to shift versus actually shifting. Conversely, even if we don't turn, you cannot leave the steering. (I understand you don't have to leave the steering to switch indicators, but my comment was also in context of switching while into a sharp turn)

Hence, the "freer" left hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Isn't it the other way round? Left hand has to control steering and gear shift. If the burden of indicator also comes on left hand, then how can left hand be free?
I am used to a one-handed driving style where the left hand comes into play only during sharp U-turns. Or maybe I have developed my style to suit LHS indicators.

To keep things in context: I am not saying LHS is better. I am saying it does not matter. We adapt.
Old 8th March 2016, 23:14   #85
BHPian

Wrongly placed wiper/light stalks

Over the years I have been a happy owner of a Maruti 800 and then a Wagon R.
There was one thing common between these two cars. The light stalk was on the right (and wiper on the left). I am no expert, but common sense tells me, that for cars with a steering on the right, this is indeed the correct placement.

I drive a Nissan Terrano now....and the light stalk is on the left!!!!
I have lost count of the number of times I have found myself in a situation where I need to flash my lights as well as shift gears at the same time. It is simply just not possible.

I am under the impression that any 'street legal' car in India has to be be certified by institutes like ARAI/RTO (please correct me if I am wrong) Does not part of this certification also include safety standards? If true, how come this ridiculous light stalks on the left design is allowed? Frankly speaking I find it dangerous.

On a related note, is there anything, which we as a community can do to see this rectified?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 23:39   #86
BHPian

Re: Wrongly placed wiper/light stalks

I think there is already a thread for this. @Mods please merge.

For me, I prefer to have lights on right and wiper on the left.
Now, I keep switching between i10 and Polo and have not had any problem to adjust back and forth. Yes, it does take a couple of minutes to get adjusted but after that its just trivial. The worst bit if when i want to flash the lights and instead the wash+wipe gets activated.

All Indian, Japanese and Korean cars have the correct orientation. All Euro ones have it the wrong way (cost cutting as they just use the same assembly from LHD markets) I think Ford has corrected this in their latest Figo/Aspire models. Not just India, manufacturers like VW sell the same lop sided stalks in UK market.

I think stalk orientation is not mentioned in the ARAI certification. So its legal.

Last edited by freedom : 8th March 2016 at 23:42.
Old 9th March 2016, 02:08   #87
BHPian

Re: Wrongly placed wiper/light stalks

It's something I've gotten accustomed to; in-fact I like this arrangement now.

While driving, my left hand is the *free* one - and so I can easily use it for indicators, gear changes, ICE controls etc.
Old 9th March 2016, 15:19   #88
BHPian

I prefer euro style. That's obvious considering the two cars I have driven extensively are Optra & Vento. I find that arrangement suited to me because, my left arm is mostly on the hand rest, brought forth only to use indicators.
But, basically, it just boils down to one's usage. Something which anyone can get accustomed to in few minutes.
Old 15th December 2017, 19:37   #89
BHPian

Re: Headlamp & Indicator Switch - Right or Left side of steering?

I could not stop myself from updating this old thread after one of year of experiencing a "left side indicator" car. This is after 10 years of driving different cars with "right side indicator".
Well, I can downright say that this has got to be one of the most bizarre decisions by the manufacturers to not shift the control stalks meant for RHS cars when compared with their European models.
For the last one year, my entire driving style has changed! I need to plan way ahead for even the slightest move as I have only one left hand .

And if not possible to plan it that way as cabbies and autos will ensure that, I end up doing a quick lane change without using the indicator as I am busy shifting gears or come to a complete halt . Not once have I done that in the earlier cars.
Inconvenience aside it is a BIG compromise on safety and it is high time this is fixed or we stop buying such cars.
Can't believe that nincompoops work in such massive car manufacturing companies!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 02:02.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks