Team-BHP - Headlamp & Indicator Switch - Right or Left side of steering?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Headlamp & Indicator Switch - Right or Left side of steering? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/74340-headlamp-indicator-switch-right-left-side-steering.html)

I'm driving two cars lately and they have their headlamp/indicator switch level positioned at different sides of the steering.

Personally I prefer the Headlamp/Indicator switch to be at the right side of the steering in an RHD car. I prefer this to the left side arrangement in an RHD because:

You can still operate indicators while you reach out to the gear lever with your left hand. This is more comfortable for me because my left hand will mostly be on the gear lever while city driving. Similarly, the headlamps can be flashed easily even though your left hand is busy downshifting.

This is not the matter of getting used to it after having driven a car with these switches on the right for years, but it is indeed difficult than the switch placed at the right side of steering. The wiper switch takes secondary preference for me as it is not used that often, like the indicator switch.

Please, your opinions!

(The poll is only to show your preference, it doesn't matter which car you drive, although it might influence your choice.)

This is a no brainer. Ideally on an RHD car, the controls for turn indicators and headlights should be on the right hand side. Manufacturers have been providing it the other way round in India just to cut costs. In developed countries, I don't think the vehicle will be passing the homoglation test if have it like this. Here they are just exploiting the loop holes in the system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhorn (Post 1701777)
Manufacturers have been providing it the other way round in India just to cut costs.

We should be showing this thread to Ford/Fiat/Chevrolet etc. after some time :)

Prefer it on the RHS. The lef hand should be dedicated to changing the gears

My Sparky has switches at the left side of the steering, But it was irritating when I drove my friend's Santro last week.

I thing Govt./ARAI should standardise the position

Doesn't matter where it is but it'd be nice if they all had one standard position.

Quote:

Manufacturers have been providing it the other way round in India just to cut costs. In developed countries, I don't think the vehicle will be passing the homoglation test if have it like this. Here they are just exploiting the loop holes in the system.

I have driven my daughter's VW Golf in Australia, which is RHD with haeadlamp/turn indicator stalks on the left side and so is the case with my Fiat Linea here. I used to drive Maruti Suzuki Omni/Versa for more than 17 years, which had these controls on the opposite side. But, I could easily get adjusted to these changed controls very quickly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 1701791)
Doesn't matter where it is but it'd be nice if they all had one standard position.

I don't agree with that. On a RHD car it should be on the right and vice versa for an LHD car. Why ? We tend to use the headlight/indicator combination switch much more than the wipers. Since our left hand would be busy operating the gear shift, it would be prudent to provide headlight/indicator combination switch on the right hand side both for ease of use as well as for safety.

i prefer it on the right side of steering. i remember my brother struggling initially with my friends Fabia and used to switch on wiper ever time :D but he got used to it. when he sat in our zen, he was cursing zen for having RHS on other side!

But its best to have them on same side across all the cars

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1701739)
You can still operate indicators while you reach out to the gear lever with your left hand. This is more comfortable for me because my left hand will mostly be on the gear lever while city driving. Similarly, the headlamps can be flashed easily even though your left hand is busy downshifting.

Bang on target, clevermax. Having lamp indicator on the right side helps in better control of the vehicle as I can use my left hand for changing gears at the same time.

Quote:

In developed countries, I don't think the vehicle will be passing the homoglation test if have it like this. Here they are just exploiting the loop holes in the system.

longhorn, is this part of the homologation criteria in developed nations? Any idea, what is the reason behind having such criteria? Same reason as mentioned by clevermax (simultaneous usage of gear and indicator)?

Simply I am used to the indicator switch bieng on the right side.

All cars I have driven so far had the indicators on the RHS. I prefer it there, because, I am used to it. Also, it feels more logical to have the controls of indicators on the RHS.
All manufacturers should place the indicator controls on the RHS for s RHD car, but this is more of a wish. This will not be a criterion for me when buying a car, though.

Does it really matter ? Right or left, its just matter of getting used to. Presently I drive a fiesta and I find the positions perfect to my liking. Only issue is when changing from one brand to another, one of the cousines drove my car for 2 hours, he is used to Innova, everytime taking a left or right turn, he used to activate the wipers instead of the indicators. Thats the only issue, nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 1701828)
everytime taking a left or right turn, he used to activate the wipers instead of the indicators. Thats the only issue, nothing else.

What about usability, changing gears while flashing headlamps or operating indicators? Basically you are forced not to operate indicator while shifting gears right?

Simple logic as everyone said, LHDs - Left side and RHDs - right side.

I was driving LHDs for more than 15 years and when I moved to India for good, found it a bit difficult to adjust the change (which applies also the LHD to RHD shift as well, but that came a bit too easier than I imagined).
First few weeks, I used to turn on wipers to turn left/right or push the flasher up and see bemused why the wipers weren't working. Later, I became used to it.

Besides, I see our company drivers who alternate between Innovas and Fiestas (which still has the lights switch on the left side) and they find it difficult and irritating on the Fiestas, that they have to lift their hand from the gear to switch on the indicators.

The logic seems to be that the assemblies are produced for LHDs and they install on regardless of LHD and RHD in these cars.

Simiarly, the Volume and Tuner knobs for decades were at the same side of the driver whether it was a LHD or RHD. Few years ago, car makers have started to define the volume knob nearer and the tuner knob farther to the driver, depending on LHD or RHD.

Its all about easy accessibility for the driver.