Team-BHP - Maruti beats Suzuki in production output in '09
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti beats Suzuki in production output in '09 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/74346-maruti-beats-suzuki-production-output-09-a.html)

Quote:

The country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki has surpassed its Japanese parent Suzuki Motor Corporation in overall production during 2009.
During 2009, Maruti
Suzuki rolled out 9,66,399 units, while its parent Suzuki Motor Corporation produced only 9,08,302 cars, according to informed sources.
"Maruti Suzuki manufactured 9,66,399 units during the calender year 2009 and its sales for the whole year was 9,67,581 units. Both these figures are higher than Suzuki's production figure of 9,08,302 units," the source informed.
Of the total sales in 2009, Maruti Suzuki sold 8,36,893 units in the domestic market, with the rest 1,30,688 units being exports. Its flagship export model A-Star was the biggest contributor to the overseas sales.
In the domestic market, the small car Alto topped the list with 2.4 lakh sales, followed by the WagonR with sales of 1.4 lakh units during reporting period.
Maruti Suzuki has currently 13 models in its portfolio-- the M-800, Omni, Alto, WagonR, Estilo, A-star, Ritz, Swift, Dzire, the sedan SX4, Gypsy, the SUV Grand Vitara and the recently launched family car Eeco.
Late last week, the car maker had announced an investment of Rs 1,700 crore to expand the production capacity at its Manesar plant near Gurgaon by 2.5 lakh units annually by 2012.
The development comes at a time when Suzuki Corp is on track to achieve a cumulative sales of 20 million units (two crore) in the Japanese domestic market since beginning of operations 55 years ago.
In a press release issued earlier this month in Tokyo, Suzuki said it will cross the mark in late January. Suzuki first ventured into the car market in 1955 with the Suzulight
model, which is the forerunner of today’s mini-vehicles.
In comparison, Maruti has already sold 8 million (80 lakh) units in the last 27 years.
Maruti enjoys over 50 per cent market share in the domestic market, dominated by small cars, and has been market leader since its launch in the 1980s.
I can't believe that we are sharing 50% of the suzuki global sale
source:NDTV

Great.

I am sure we will be rewarded by Suzuki by having more hand-me-downs like Zen Estilo stuffed down our throats.

MSIL could have actually done better if they had offered quicker delivery of Swift and Dzire Diesel engines!
with 3 months of waiting period, potential buyers are going for other cars.

OT:

People,

any idea why there is waiting period of months of Dzire, marketing gimmick? lack of production capacity at MSIL assembly plant?

Awesome stuff! Maruti has always been Suzuki's most profitable subsidary. If Maruti was gutsy, they should now negotiate to buy back a certain proportion of Suzuki's stake in the conglomerate. They really need to invest more on bigger factories though. The waiting period for their cars is quite long!

Quote:

Originally Posted by recshenoy (Post 1702146)
MSIL could have actually done better if they had offered quicker delivery of Swift and Dzire Diesel engines!
with 3 months of waiting period, potential buyers are going for other cars.

OT:

People,

any idea why there is waiting period of months of Dzire, marketing gimmick? lack of production capacity at MSIL assembly plant?

I read in one of the threads that the Dezire now has a 6 month waiting!!
I was wondering if these advance bookings are a source of free of interest funds for MSIL or its dealers. If someone has the numbers for these bookings and the amount it takes to book a vehicle we may see a nice fat amount at the end of the equation which can be rotated for 3 months by them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 1702565)
I read in one of the threads that the Dezire now has a 6 month waiting!!

It's 2-2.5 months, displayed at showroom only.

I am not surprised! No one buys Suzuki cars in large number other than Indians and Japs.

They have virtually no presense in major markets like the US and Canada, where Suzuki still enjoys the reputation of being a motorcycle company. Their cars are simply not considered up to mark in these markets though they have tried penetrate these markets many times. They hope kazashi changes it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunilM (Post 1702682)
I am not surprised! No one buys Suzuki cars in large number other than Indians and Japs.

They have virtually no presense in major markets like the US and Canada, where Suzuki still enjoys the reputation of being a motorcycle company. Their cars are simply not considered up to mark in these markets though they have tried penetrate these markets many times. They hope kazashi changes it!

Correct. To add further to your point,Some Suzukis in America are atleast rebadged erstwhile Daewoos from GMDAT. The Suzuki Forenza up until recently was our Optra with a different name and a different badge.This is the product they chose to put up in the Corolla-Civic segment! That was a major mistake.I think that will end now with the VW I-scratch-your-back-you-scratch-mine agreement.

The Kizashi is a wonderful product and the US-spec model is very good and
competitive to the Hondas and Toyotas. I hope it sells well. Americans like H and T just like Indians like M. One thing that failed (or did'nt succeed enough) in the ultra-competitive US market is the latest Grand Vitara. That was sad to see because it was genuinely good VFM for what it looked like and offered.

One hopes that an unexpected fallout of this event does not happen. That is, MUL management throws around more weight and expects to start exporting the Dzire! The international markets will just do a mutra-visarjan on it! Hopefully this will make MUL offer better products while retaining (tongue-n-cheek--saving!?) their A.S.S as well as their low-cost-of-ownership traits. Hope we don't get more hand-me-downs like WagonR Boxno 2 and the Eeko and the Estilo.