Team-BHP - Insurance statistics for accidents
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Insurance statistics for accidents (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/74380-insurance-statistics-accidents.html)

for Mods Please shift this in appropriate section if needed

well I was going thru the topic "broken down cars on Indian Roads" when this idea re struck my mind.

I wanted to know if in India we have any Insurance survey or statistics which show about the no of accident a particular car model has met, no of casualties, cost of repair etc.

Also i believe that insurance companies should give discounts to models having air bag and ABS and theft preventive equipment, to drivers who have long history of accident free driving.

what do u say?

You are right on that just like the life mortality tables you have data for the above as well. But I suspect it wont be very easy to obtain that data and that it is sold by the Actuarial profession at a certain cost.

I am not sure though.

Quote:

I wanted to know if in India we have any Insurance survey or statistics which show about the no of accident a particular car model has met, no of casualties, cost of repair etc.
Even if someone compiled this type of data, the auto industry will make sure it's never published. Especially those manufacturers whose cars top the list.

I agree with you in that, it would be invaluable information.

I believe if 80% of the cars running on our roads were equipped with safety devices (read airbags, ABS, tracking equipments) when then this kind of data/statistics would have been helpful. We could conclude which company had the maximum and minimal life support failures.
But, since more than 80% of vehicles plying on our roads lack these "features" the data/statistics is not very useful. It would tilt towards the manufacturer making maximum number of sales and making maximum number of passenger vehicles.

To give an example:
There was an episode aired on Discovery (I don't remember that well), where a young guy had an accident and the was thrown off road in a ditch in woods.
The search team took around 3 days to find him and they did find him alive and he had lost some 18 kgs of weight and ....

The point is if the car had some kind of a tracker then authorities could pin point his location within hours of him reported missing and save a life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1705027)
Even if someone compiled this type of data, the auto industry will make sure it's never published. Especially those manufacturers whose cars top the list.

I agree with you in that, it would be invaluable information.

Nice observation. As a corollary, is it not true that max number of accidents will involve vehicles that is found on road in larger numbers?

If such an exercise was carried out, we might find some manufacturers even falling out of favor of insurance companies due to high accident rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1705060)
is it not true that max number of accidents will involve vehicles that is found on road in larger numbers?

That is what I said in my previous post :)
Quote:

If such an exercise was carried out, we might find some manufacturers even falling out of favor of insurance companies due to high accident rate.
I'm sure the insurance companies have that data. But again very little is useful.
When it comes to a top end i20 and Omni no prizes for guessing who would find favour with the insurance companies.

thats what i was saying like the "percentage of car sold which met with accident"?

what was the casualty rate for suppose Honda city ZX to verna SX or casualty rate of i10 With airbag with spark LT?

would'n it be helpful for people like us to know which cars are safer at least till we have compulsory crash test in India?

and also we would know how much a car repair gonna cost us in a minor or major accident?

which cars are more prone to theft?

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsnt (Post 1705434)
thats what i was saying like the "percentage of car sold which met with accident"?

what was the casualty rate for suppose Honda city ZX to verna SX or casualty rate of i10 With airbag with spark LT?

would'n it be helpful for people like us to know which cars are safer at least till we have compulsory crash test in India?

and also we would know how much a car repair gonna cost us in a minor or major accident?

which cars are more prone to theft?

regards

Percentage of cars sold meeting with an accident: I am not sure if that is a good stat to use. For example certain cars are by default used as taxis (Indica, Omni) etc. These cars are in general driven by semi-educated rash drivers and also spend more time on road.

For example if you compare Indica with Santro (Comparable cars with comparable sales figures) I am sure Indica will have a much higher accident rate and most of them would be taxis.

With the deregulation of the Insurance industry, I'm sure we will ranking of cars on Safety into Groups, like it is in UK. And so the premium will be based not only on the IDV but also on the safety of the car.