Team-BHP - Overdrives Mega Track Test - Indian saloons
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Overdrives Mega Track Test - Indian saloons (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7439-overdrives-mega-track-test-indian-saloons.html)

So the competition is forcing everyone to up the ante. After a loooooooooooong time, I found one article in the Overdrive that had me glued from start to end.

Its the track test in the latest Overdrive - and this compares the track times of various sedans right from the Mighty RS to the Accord, from the Ikon to the Swift.

This is the real deal, gentlemen. I personally think that quarter miles suck! And a track test is truly representative of a cars performance as the steering, handling, mid-range and braking come into picture.

I dont remember the entire order, but could someone post the entire list with the track times.

Top 5

1. Octavia RS (Winner by a whopping 3 seconds)
2. Toyota Corolla
3. Honda Accord
4. Hyundai Elantra
5. Ford Ikon

The Rs - Well, expectedly its a track king. Not only did it have the best handling, but only the accord could match it for the straight line speed. The Corolla, after all the criticism and lack of enthusiast support, still did pretty well for itself. I remember a comment that the Accord was terrible to drive on the track and the huge butt and soft suspension was a deterrent.

Apparently, the Ikon and the Swift were the most fun to drive. I would agree with the Ikon, and a 5th place (OVER THE BALENO) puts it in good company.

The Getz was the slowest on this track day. But the car that truly surprised me is the Fusion - which was faster than the Baleno! Dont blame it on the tyres, From the pictures of the Baleno, it appears to have upsized rubber.

As mentioned earlier, can someone post the entire list with the lap times?

A must read article for us petrol heads.

GTO

Whoa corolla at number 2!! I was under the impression that its high ground clearance would be a disadvantage when it comes to handling. Boy was i wrong or wot!

did they test the Petra too ?

What tyres were they using? Were all cars on their OE size or did they have a control tyre for the test? Ok ok...I guess I'll just have to buy the mag to find out!

I am not sure but I think they were all on crappy Apollo rubber.

GTO

Where did they test the cars?
I am really surprised about Corolla beating the Accord.
i thought even Mondeo will be in the top 5.
Can anyone give the full list.

I better buy the mag.
let me find out how the Fusion performed

Wow this is great! I remember the last time BS motoring did this, they had KC and HariSingh among others test a bunch of cars on the Sriperambudur short loop. KC was fastest but Hari Singh was breathing down his neck. I think the OHC won.

Good to see my favourites, Ikon and Corolla do well. I always knew they were better overall than the Baleno and the Optra for outright performance.

Appolo tires, dont they have a technical tie-up with Michelin. It makes more sense to shod them with OE rubber so that no car is given a benefit of a tire upgrade.

Were there any lap times, wonder how they compare with the Esteem touring cars. Any star drivers?

Looks like I'll have to buy OD of this month unless someone posts the full list in next few hours. After being a T-BHPian, I started paying scant attention to these magazines.

GTO, you did a better job than what a full time Overdrive salesman would have done. :D

The last best article I read in Overdrive was the 17 cars in the ultimate straight line (0-100-0) test in which the City VTEC scored above the competition at 3rd place with only 2 mercs over it... Keeps pinching me now and then to go for the City VTEC considering that it can beat the hell out of the Merc C-class and all in acceleration.!!!

Nice find GTO.. will go and get myself a copy now...!

Quote:

Appolo tires, dont they have a technical tie-up with Michelin. It makes more sense to shod them with OE rubber so that no car is given a benefit of a tire upgrade.
Two sides to every coin : Shodding them with OE rubber makes sense since that would be a better representation of what the buyer ends up with. However, using the same rubber in all the cars (of course in OE sizes) levels the playing field and its all about chassis dynamics and braking unadulterated.

GTO

well, this month's O.D is a real scorcher, and it has some pretty good articles... but, here are the specs that everyone is lookin' around for....(guys, even though i'm posting this, i suggest you buy a copy- there's plenty of other useful info...)

here are the figures..

1) SKODA OCTAVIA R.S.

0-60 : 4.05 secs
0-100 : 8.97 secs
0-400m : 16.31 secs/134.8 kmph
top speed at the track : 147.33 kmph
lap time : 85.1 secs/1 min 25.1 secs
max "G"s : 1.03

2) TOYOTA COROLLA

0-60 : 4.27 secs
0-100 : 9.81 secs
0-400m : 17.08 secs/134 kmph
top speed at the track : 143.34 kmph
lap time : 87.55 secs/1 min 27.55 secs
max "G"s : 0.96

3) HONDA ACCORD 2.4 VTEC

0-60 : 4.7 secs
0-100 : 10.31 secs
0-400m : 17.4 secs/125.6 kmph
top speed at the track : 150.31
lap time : 88 secs/1 min 28 secs
max "G"s : 0.93

4) HYUNDAI ELANTRA 1.8

0-60 : 4.97 secs
0-100 : 11.90 secs
0-400m : 18.15 secs/124 kmph
top speed at the track : 142.94 kmph
lap time : 89.35 secs/1 min 29.35 secs
max "G"s : 0.92

5) FORD IKON 1.6

0-60 : 5.7 secs
0-100 : 13.7 secs
0-400m : 19 secs/117.2 kmph
top speed at the track : 136.91
lap time : 89.65 secs/1 min 29.65 secs
max "G"s : 0.95

the other worthy mention...

9) SUZUKI SWIFT

0-60 : 5.29 secs
0-100 : 12.90 secs
0-400m : 18.82 secs/118.1 kmph
top speed at the track : 134.64
lap time : 90.8 secs/1 min 30.8 secs
max "G"s : 0.82

but, despite these figures, my all-time faves have been (and will be until 2006)- in the order of ranking...

1) octavia r.s.
2) honda accord
3) maruti baleno
4) ford ikon 1.6
5) maruti swift....

now these five, are, IMHO, the best driver's cars till date (i love all machines, but picking a few is a tough job).....but, all that might change with the upcoming models in 2006 (the launches that i'm looking forward to, are the hyundai tiburon/tuscani, and the honda civic...and need i mention the beemer 3-series..??)

Man OD has lost it. They took a 1.6 Optra. Geez and it lsot to a Baleno! THey should choose cars with some sense. SHould have picked a 1.8LT and i am sure it would have finished 4th. Its obvious that the test was only straight line speed oriented. No wonder Corolla with such Poor Handling finished 2nd and why the hell they forgot the palio 1.6 and City Vtec and take that disgusting NHC. Man what do they do pick any car they have and test them. They should compare like minded cars. Comparing 1.6 rather then 1.8 is liek comparing 1.9TDi to Vrs.

I am a bit confused. was that some handfull saloons or all the cars avaialable for sale today?

can some1 post the complete list?

There were 12
Namely
Octavia RS
Toyota Corolla
Honda Accord
Hyundai Elantra
Ford Ikon
Fusion
Baleno
Optra 1.6
Swift