Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:49   #61
BHPian

For the back seat comfort apart from dimensions there are many factors.

1 > Material used/Stiffness of foam/design of seats
2 > Contours/hand rests
3 > Accessibility of door and windows controls after one seats in.
4 > Behavior of cars on rough road ,on bumps.
5 > Climate control at back seat.
6 > Even width of the sear is very important when it comes to carry 3 passengers at rear.

So for me its not only deciding factor that what is the exact legroom at rear.

And if this is the only criteria then there is no competition for Manza.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The city was designed with the asian markets in mind where people demand "more car per car". If you look at the Palio, it has more interior space than even the City, and that is because it is built for third world countries. Punto (on which Linea is based), was built for the european markets.
Cant really understand your point. Westerners are bigger than Indians. So, why would the europeans have less space. Its not like nobody cares for rear seat comfort in the west.
When look at Accord and Civic, in the U.S at least they are considered better ergonomically.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Cant really understand your point. Westerners are bigger than Indians. So, why would the europeans have less space. Its not like nobody cares for rear seat comfort in the west.
When look at Accord and Civic, in the U.S at least they are considered better ergonomically.
As I mentioned in my previous post, we want more space for less price. So packaging is important. When the westerners want more space, they buy a bigger car (read, next segment).

Yes, they are a size bigger than the Asians. That is why Corollas and Civics are compact cars in the US while they are "big" cars in India.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
@Delta_Wing, awesome post, though there are minor errors in calcualtiions here and there. A phenomenal effort, I must say.
Ahem..thank you pratim. If you could point the errors out, I'd be glad to correct them. If you refer to the geometric drawing and the figures, there would be minor error since I measured angles/lengths as displayed in the software. Actual equation would give a little variation, but only a little. If you referred to the pics, I am not able to work out the problem and my Photoshop CD has been missing :( otherwise would have compared the pics there. But will resolve the problem soon. Is there any other error you have in mind?
Regarding your head banging the door, wouldn't know. Have you been used to some other car before? But mind the head nonetheless.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 2nd February 2010 at 18:41.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:57   #65
BHPian

What a great debate !

Delta Wing & civic-sense .... you guys are amazing .... It was all greek & latin, vibgyor for me the first time I read the whole post . Had to go back to the pictures and pull out a calculator and empty a ball-pen to get the numbers in to my head. Kudos to both of you for the time and effort put in to making this discussion healthy and making TBHP forum an interesting read.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:10   #66
BHPian

@SamtheLeo, electricheart,
Thank you.
Old 10th May 2010, 08:49   #67
BHPian

Ergonomics is the major factor that determines whether the cabin space is well utilized or not. In Linea and Punto the seating height from the floor is less. So to achieve an ergonomically comfortable position the occupant has to stretch out his legs. Hence longer space is required. Where as if the floor to seating height is more, the occupant doesn't have stretch his legs much to attain a comfortable position. A classical example is the Tata Vista, which has a higher seating position and hence has more leg room than Punto. I believe the cabin space in length is less in Vista as compared to Punto (Correct me if I am wrong) but still has more leg room.
Hence despite of having more cabin space, but because of the seating position, Linea and Punto may feel cramped. Folks who own Linea or a Punto my try placing a pillow or two in the rear seat to increase the seating height and check whether it still feels cramped as compared to actual seating height. Would appreciate a feedback.

I personally feel that the placement of the center console of Linea/ Punto is good ergonomically. The controls for ICE, HVAC, etc are close to steering and one will have a minimum movement of his hands to reach these controls.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
I my head gets banged inadvertantly on the door frame of the front dirver seat. BTW, I am 5'8".

It happened to one my friend also who is about 5'9'', who banged his head really hard inadvertantly, while getting into the drivers seat.

Could this be counted as an ergonomics issue for ANHC?
I had the same expirence while TD ANHC. I had banged my head while ingress. Looked at the SE and he promplty replied as Aerodynamic desing for better FE & High speed stability.

Banged my head while checking the rear headroom in Linea. Again thanks for the Aerodynamic desing

BTW I'm 5.11

Last edited by Praveen1 : 11th May 2010 at 12:26.
Old 12th May 2010, 00:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Banging your head on the A-pillar/C-pillar: That's a typical problem with a lot of "aerodynamically" styled cars with steeply raked windscreens and high seating: ANHC, Linea, etc.

This doesn't happen in the old-school low-seating, relatively "boxy" types like the Fiesta, Palio, Figo etc.

Most Viewed