Team-BHP - Honda to recall '07 NHC in India (potential fire hazard)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Honda to recall '07 NHC in India (potential fire hazard) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/74509-honda-recall-07-nhc-india-potential-fire-hazard.html)

Source: BBC News - Honda recalls cars in fire danger

Honda has announced the recall of 646,000 cars globally to fix a switch defect that could cause a fire.
The recall includes Jazz models, also known as Fit in some countries, built in Japan, China, Brazil, Thailand, Malaysia and India, Honda said.
Three cases of fires due to the defect have so far been reported - two in the US and one in South Africa.
In September, two-year-old Vanilla Nurse was killed in Cape Town when the car she was sleeping in caught fire.
The total number of recalls includes 619,000 Jazz, or Fit, models globally and 27,000 City models in Asia.
In the US, 140,000 vehicles are being recalled. Just over 171,000 Jazz cars in Britain will be recalled in March.
In a statement, Honda said a defective master switch could cause water to enter the power window switch and could, in some cases, cause a fire.
On Thursday, carmaker Toyota announced the recall of vehicles in the US, Europe and China over concerns about accelerator pedals getting stuck on floor mats.

Owners kindly get in touch with Honda and its dealers and kindly update here, in case any letter is received.
Lets see if my parents' jazz is also involved or not.

EDIT:

This does NOT affect the ANHC (currently sold Honda City) or the Honda Jazz in India
. Official press release from Honda:

Quote:

New Delhi, Jan 30: Honda Siel Cars India today announced that it would call back 8532 units of 2nd Generation City , manufactured in 2007, for a preventive part replacement of Power Window Switch.

HSCI is proactively replacing the part in these vehicles related to the potential problem of smoke coming out from the Power Window Switch if water enters the driver window when window is left open during heavy rain or is exposed to any other liquid due to spillage.

The replacement would be carried out free of cost and the company will communicate directly with the owners of the cars which are covered under this part replacement.

HSCI is carrying out the part replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company to ensure stringent quality standards for its products.

The 3rd Generation City , currently sold in India , is not affected and does not require any part replacement.

HSCI further clarified that the global recall does not impact the Honda Jazz sold in India . The recall announced by Honda applies to 1st Generation Jazz and does not apply to the 2nd Generation Honda Jazz, which has been sold in India since June 2009.

Its just bad time for the Japanese heavy weights. But good thing is that Honda added India to the list. Atleast this is not as bad as the Toyota Issue.

OT: what/who is two-year-old Vanilla Nurse ?

Looks like City is also included in the recall according to this article Honda recalls 646,000 Jazz/Fit, City cars globally - Yahoo! News

this doesn't mention which City models will be recalled, we have at least 3 versions running in India. Since the Fit/Jazz is being recalled, its probably the AHNC that will be recalled in India, lets wait and see.

Oh that hurts, it comes after hearing some reports in our forum about Ford replacing the steering spring that makes some irritating noise while taking hard turns, although not experienced by many. Dont they publish such things in the major newspapers informing its customers ?

The Japanese rank higher than anyone else when it comes to reliability. I'm sure these minor niggles won't affect the trust in these auto makers. But I wonder why these things such as 'accelerator pedals getting stuck on floor mats' don't come in picture when the manufacturer is testing the car for thousands of kilometers for over 2 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 1706192)
The Japanese rank higher than anyone else when it comes to reliability. I'm sure these minor niggles won't affect the trust in these auto makers. But I wonder why these things such as 'accelerator pedals getting stuck on floor mats' don't come in picture when the manufacturer is testing the car for thousands of kilometers for over 2 years!

Like with any well-tested any products, some issues show up only with mass use. Example is this Jazz / City recall - only a handful cases are reported in more than half a million (or more) units sold - such scenarios are close to impossible to come across during testing, IMHO.

EDIT: Just saw this thread - seems to have been created a couple of hours earlier than this one... http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...dow-fault.html

I don't recall any car/model being recalled in India. Is this really a first time?
Anyway, what exactly does happen in case of a recall? Customers would have to take the vehicles back to the authorised service center and they rectify the fault? Or is something more involved like compensating the potentially affected customers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 1706189)
Oh that hurts, it comes after hearing some reports in our forum about Ford replacing the steering spring that makes some irritating noise while taking hard turns, although not experienced by many. Dont they publish such things in the major newspapers informing its customers ?

I think only life threatening defect will be published.Stuffs like spring change or any minor change will not be published.

It's good that Honda included India in the list.

No Jazz recall in India, says Honda

"There won't be any impact on the recall in India because the Jazz that is being sold in India is a second generation vehicle, which is not a part of the global recall," a Honda Siel official said.

The official said the Jazz that is being recalled globally is the previous generation model.

No Jazz recall in India, says Honda- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

The Times of India this morning clearly quotes Honda as saying that Jazz sold in India is safe since its a "next generation" model, though they are not quite sure about the ANHC

There have been a few instances. Honda accord fuel pump problem(in 2005 or 2006 i think) is one that i recall right now

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDP (Post 1706626)
I don't recall any car/model being recalled in India. Is this really a first time?
Anyway, what exactly does happen in case of a recall? Customers would have to take the vehicles back to the authorised service center and they rectify the fault? Or is something more involved like compensating the potentially affected customers?

Doing a google on Vanilla results in the details of the incident. Looks like the car was taken to the dealer since the driver side window was not functioning and had some problem. The spare part was not available and was asked to wait.
Unfortunate incident. Makes one wonder if you need to be careful if anything related to electric does not work in your car.

When it comes to bashing, I dont think any brand will come closer to Skoda by any chance. Its been reported through various posts about different skoda variants, still they havent changed a bit about their approach to customers.

Now about buying decision, do we have any control on such things anyway ? I dont think we have. Things that can go wrong in a car is pure incidental. Neither its preplanned by the brand nor its anticipated by the customer. But things that have been repeatedly given as feedback and nothing is done on that is something we should bash about. WagonR gear box is the best example. Its a common issue right from its launch and it continues till today.

Honda is known for its good name in India, although things come with a premium.

Honda to replace Power Window Switch in 8532 units of ’07 City in India

Current 3rd Generation City not affected

New Delhi, Jan 30: Honda Siel Cars India today announced that it would call back 8532 units of 2nd Generation City , manufactured in 2007, for a preventive part replacement of Power Window Switch.

HSCI is proactively replacing the part in these vehicles related to the potential problem of smoke coming out from the Power Window Switch if water enters the driver window when window is left open during heavy rain or is exposed to any other liquid due to spillage.

The replacement would be carried out free of cost and the company will communicate directly with the owners of the cars which are covered under this part replacement.

HSCI is carrying out the part replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company to ensure stringent quality standards for its products.

The 3rd Generation City , currently sold in India , is not affected and does not require any part replacement.

HSCI further clarified that the global recall does not impact the Honda Jazz sold in India . The recall announced by Honda applies to 1st Generation Jazz and does not apply to the 2nd Generation Honda Jazz, which has been sold in India since June 2009.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 1706714)
No Jazz recall in India, says Honda

"There won't be any impact on the recall in India because the Jazz that is being sold in India is a second generation vehicle, which is not a part of the global recall," a Honda Siel official said.

I was just expecting this news. Somehow I tend to believe that if there's any recall on any vehicle in whole world, the least affected country will be India. Is it because the car manufacturer tends to believe that they can get away with law more easily than their customers OR the customers will not create noise to be noticed by others?

In addition, I really cannot believe that the Jazz in India is much better & complaint free than the Jazz/Fit in Japan & USA. I suspect this has something seriously to do with automotive law.