Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 08:22   #61
BHPian

And why not the Swift in this category?
Old 12th February 2010, 11:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Because the Swift is not a fast car. Call it what you want, it still drives like soggy bread.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Word. Now Boleros, Ambassadors, Swift Dzires and Palio S10s are sleepers. The point of a sleeper is that it shouldn't look like it has anything special under the hood. Most Indian cars actually don't have anything under the hood anyways. The Fiesta S doesn't qualify, it has a bodykit, neither does the Cedia with its moderate performance. Perhaps the only few would be the Getz CRDi, OHC VTECs, Balenos (though all of them shared the same specs) and the Laura 1.8 TSi. Even the Octavia vRS had a different front bumper, alloys and badging.
Bang on target.

The real idea behind a sleepr is to modify the car to the extremes under the hood, but leave it as stock as possible inside. Getz Crdi with a Petes Box, OHC, yes. these can qualify as sleepers
Old 12th February 2010, 23:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
The real idea behind a sleepr is to modify the car to the extremes under the hood, but leave it as stock as possible inside. Getz Crdi with a Petes Box, OHC, yes. these can qualify as sleepers
You obviously mean outside!
Anyways,any car can be turned into a sleeper with after-market go faster mods! But they won't qualify for this thread which says "India's ultimate sleeper cars currently in production"! Which I think there hardly are!
Old 12th February 2010, 23:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

If i manage to get endorsement, then the Ambassador with 2.4 Isuzu turbo diesel is the ultimate sleeper car in India.

otherwise BOLERO CRDi is the sleeper currently on indian roads.

Last edited by ramzsys : 12th February 2010 at 23:37.
Old 13th February 2010, 08:19   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Sorry to say this, but the whole concept of a sleeper car seems to have been thrown out of the window with this thread. I can see almost every Indian car making it to this list.

Just because a stock car can go fast doesnt qualify it to be a sleeper. For instance, I really dont see how an India or an Amby can be a sleeper car. Swift Dezire!! You got to be joking.

So lets be realistic and list only the best that really need to qualify. We do not want to confuse a novice into believing something like a Dezire is a sleeper
I Absolutely agree with you here.

If Bolero CRDe makes to the list then whats next?? a Tata 407 Turbo because previous versions had NA engine or Maruti 800 MPFI because previous carburetted version was slower.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th February 2010 at 08:21.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:59   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
With respect to the context,I think only the Octavia 1.8TP in non-RS guise has any real semblance of being called a sleeper car.And maybe the Getz CRDi.But only just.
bang on man! among the production cars only the octavia 1.8tpi non-vrs( u dont even get alloys with it ! ) and also laura 1.8tsi to an extent!

ps: in india there are more ricer cars than sleeper cars !
Old 13th February 2010, 16:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
If i manage to get endorsement, then the Ambassador with 2.4 Isuzu turbo diesel is the ultimate sleeper car in India.

otherwise BOLERO CRDi is the sleeper currently on indian roads.
bolero ? Amby ?
Old 17th February 2010, 07:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Because the Swift is not a fast car. Call it what you want, it still drives like soggy bread.
Whoa! Man, seems like you are a Anti-Swift. First time I heard someone saying the Swift is not a fast car (Of course it isn't when you try to compare with a car higher of its class. But it surely is, in its class) . I respect your opinion too and I don't want to comment anything about it. But the fact remains the same, no matter what people say. Right?!
Old 17th February 2010, 10:18   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
Whoa! Man, seems like you are a Anti-Swift. First time I heard someone saying the Swift is not a fast car (Of course it isn't when you try to compare with a car higher of its class. But it surely is, in its class) . I respect your opinion too and I don't want to comment anything about it. But the fact remains the same, no matter what people say. Right?!
just because he says its not a fast car makes him anti swift? lol. it isnt a fast car. its average.

ambassadors in this thread?? i guess sleeper in that case would mean cars that can make you fall asleep.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

A sleeper car is one which has an unassuming exterior but great performance.

The fact that there are questions for including the bolero and the ambassador is itself a proof that a 'performing' bolero and amby is a sleeper.

Hence i included the 2.4 Turbo diesel ISUZU powered ambassador. Or even the Bolero Storm. The performance of these machines is entirely different from their mass-selling avtars.

Last edited by ramzsys : 17th February 2010 at 10:58.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
just because he says its not a fast car makes him anti swift? lol. it isnt a fast car. its average.

ambassadors in this thread?? i guess sleeper in that case would mean cars that can make you fall asleep.

I hardly find any difference when I drive a Palio and the Swift, though Palio has a 1.6 ltr engine. And, this car falls in this sleeper car category.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:42   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinesataris View Post
I hardly find any difference when I drive a Palio and the Swift, though Palio has a 1.6 ltr engine. And, this car falls in this sleeper car category.
i see you own a swift ddis. well the swift diesel does feel faster than it is due to the turbo push. that is true for quite a few diesel cars. the palio 1.6 is probably about 3 seconds faster than the swift diesel 0-100.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:20   #74
Senior - BHPian

We are talking of so many cars as sleepers.
Old 17th February 2010, 15:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Sleeper cars currently in production ? Are there really any?

Few replies say Laura 1.8 Tsi as a Sleeper car, i cant understand why?. Does it look too bland ?

The Stand out few may be;
  • Verna CRDI (of course)
  • Octavia 1.8 Tpi
  • Fiesta 1.6 Sxi (To some extent - there are anyways too many editions of Fiesta's that are running around)
  • Sonata Transform (?? I dont know)
Other Sleepers that are out of Production:
  • Elantra CRDI (Out of Production)
  • Getz CRDI (Out of Production)
  • Ikon 1.6 (Out of Production)
  • Baleno (Out of Production)
  • Palio 1.6 (Out of Production)
The OHC Vtecs were very good looking during their time - A layman would atleast get an image of a fast car by looks of it.

And No way swift is a sleeper car - The image of a car is projected to be 'too sporty' than it really is.

Last edited by Mi10 : 17th February 2010 at 15:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks