Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 15:53   #16
BHPian

Sid, thanks for the info. So as expected the Chinese are coming to India.

I really doubt if the QQ is going to sell at the price levels mentioned.I very well hope that it doesn't come to India at all.

IMO Chery could find some buyers if the J-One is priced on par with Santro/Spark and the Tiggo is priced between 5-8 lacs

Last edited by harishnair : 1st February 2010 at 15:54.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for the info sid!
Old 1st February 2010, 17:33   #18
BHPian

I have a totally opposite view from most of the ppl in this thread. I really hope Chinese come to India and really am looking forward to the day.
Old 1st February 2010, 18:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

That small car has horribly failed the road test! totally junked out!
I sincerely hope they wont dump their junk crap cars in India. Hope indian govt will not allow these zero safety car to enetr our market!

OT:

what happened to those Chinese bikes which people used to dream few years back. Some images given on news paper shows bikes which look like R1 and selling price was quoted as 50K
Old 1st February 2010, 18:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
That small car has horribly failed the road test! totally junked out!
I sincerely hope they wont dump their junk crap cars in India. Hope indian govt will not allow these zero safety car to enetr our market!

OT:

what happened to those Chinese bikes which people used to dream few years back. Some images given on news paper shows bikes which look like R1 and selling price was quoted as 50K
When the govt can give permit to Bajaj Auto and other 3 wheelers to run on Indian roads, I cant see why we cant have Chinese car run these roads in the near future.
Old 1st February 2010, 18:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
I have a totally opposite view from most of the ppl in this thread. I really hope Chinese come to India and really am looking forward to the day.
Care to enlighten us why you do so?
Old 1st February 2010, 18:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sid for all this, Excellent job.
Chery QQ - Dont think will be a good choice when we already have had Matiz and Spark at our shores.With that quality donno where they will be headed.

J1 - can be good choice with better quality and price, also read somewhere that it has one best NCAP ratings for any chinese vehicle.

Tiggo - Again is CRV-GV chopsuey.As Sid says the quality is nothing great, would be a RIO part -2 then.

AFA scouting for partner goes ICML could be one as they were in news for same , sometime back.Other one is Subbu led Argentum Motors( though its almost in shambles with ongoing blame game) with a world class facility at its disposal.Personally i dont think we are ready for Chinese autos as of yet (can be seen from chinese bikes that came to india).On the contrary Chinese electric bikes/scooters with indian brandings are doing well.If similar is done with these cars, there is hope that they can do well for them.
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm certainly NOT convinced. See, Chinese cars (and other products from the country) enjoy a huge cost advantage. In fact, one of the main motivations behind buying a Chinese designed product is the price.

Buttttttttttttttttttttt in India, the situation is very different. For one, our labour rates are competitive. More importantly, Maruti / Tata / Hyundai enjoy an installed cost structure that is VERY hard to beat. Chery cars will not be able to compete on cost with Maruti, Tata and Hyundai. I don't see a big difference in pricing at all. If they have to compete, it will be on sheer product. And that's where, unfortunately, I expect Chery to fall flat on its face.

I'm not writing Chery or any other Chinese car maker off completely (would be foolish to do so). However, they aren't "there" yet. Note that they will be sometime in the future. As the saying goes:

In the 60's, everyone said Japanese cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

In the 80's, everyone said Korean cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

In the 2000's, everyone said Chinese cars are too cheap, flimsy, lack depth in engineering, are a copy of other cars and will never cut it.

See a pattern?
If Indian cars are competitive to Chinese cars in India, then it should be very close in china as well. This makes a good case for Indian manufacturers like TATA and Mahindra to explore the market in China. With better quality and little more price to the comparable chinese counterparts, there is a good chance our cars will do well in china.

I remember reading Mahindra already owns a tractor company in china, may be they could use that relationship/distribution & service network to launch zylo and scorpio in china.

Last edited by gshanky : 2nd February 2010 at 02:53.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

That SUV from Cherry is also nothing but a copy of a prev generation Toyota Rav 4
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:43   #25
BHPian

Is it just me or the Tiggo's rear end and the third row glass (viewed from rear perspective) looks like the Grand Vitara?
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

There has been a lot of talk about Chinese bikes entering India but this never happened. I think this would also go the same way. And I don't think I would buy one at that price.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

The J-One looks promising. If anything, the entry of cheaper Chinese cars will hopefully force the arrogant Japanese automakers and their money grubbing bania local partners to lower prices for their grossly overcharged products.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Care to enlighten us why you do so?
Thats my view mate. As simple as that. My view.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Thats my view mate. As simple as that. My view.
That's cool; I just thought that when one looks forward to the day the Chinese (specifically) come in with their cars, he/she has to have a reason.

Turns out I am wrong.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:28   #30
BHPian

Chery is set to flop

I would think they would take Sid's views seriously and pack their bags and go back. While MUL itself does fleece Indian customers because of their cost advantages, they atleast provide good A.S.S and have built their brand in spite of not having the best products. And I dare say their products are way better than anything that is shown in this thread.
While that SUV may have some takers, I seriously believe this is just junking the Indian market. I don't expect these to last anything more than 20000 km
and wearing well. This is not to reflect my bias. I have used Chinese Toys, batteries etc that are unbranded. I do see superior products coming out but those are all brands that are owned elsewhere but manufactured in China with evidently good QC. These , however are chinese-owned and for some reason, the quality difference shows, as Sid has found out.
I hope this thread serves as a good safeguard for anyone planning to buy a Chinese car with inferior engineering. You could be endangering your life. What's more, you contribute to rupees becoming yuans. Not good. I just hope the Indian car-buyer becomes more conscious of this.I do believe Indians are used to good quality ( see why the Nano succeeded) at this point of time and will not take anything cheap. We value our money. Whle we can part with it for overpriced cars at the lower end, we still don't expect _this_. I think the Indian customer will call their bluff. I don't see them succeeding unless the production cars are better than the Concepts (which we see here!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks