Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 11:08   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
7 lakh for a suv with all those features .looks tempting
lets wait for gto for the test drive and decide
Having seen few Chinese electronic equipments like DVD players suddenly burning while in operation, I would never opt for a Chinese SUV even for free. If they prove themselves like Hondas did post 70s and Hundai did post 90s, only then I will even consider them.

I agree even Suzuki, Honda and toyota have failures but their failure rates are very low and at least we can be confidant that if they detect some thing wrong they will immediately recall and fix those problems.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnk77 View Post
Having seen few Chinese electronic equipments like DVD players suddenly burning while in operation, I would never opt for a Chinese SUV even for free.
We people also buy "PRC Made" I-Pods and I-Phones here at hefty amount, again and again. Think about that! Not all Chinese goods are horrible! As stated by Zappo, you should wait and watch before making these statements
Old 8th February 2010, 13:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
We people also buy "PRC Made" I-Pods and I-Phones here at hefty amount, again and again. Think about that! Not all Chinese goods are horrible! As stated by Zappo, you should wait and watch before making these statements
Its just that I-PODs, phones are manufactured in China. Companies like Apple etc have stringent quality standards and the manufacturer just adheres to them. But for a product which is 100% Chinese , I would not put my money in to that until I have seen at least couple of generations of their models.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Its just that I-PODs, phones are manufactured in China. Companies like Apple etc have stringent quality standards and the manufacturer just adheres to them. But for a product which is 100% Chinese , I would not put my money in to that until I have seen at least couple of generations of their models.
As far as I know, within their country Chinese have much higher standards for most of the things than us. Take food items for an example: They punished/executed (in no time) the senior management responsible for the Melamine adulteration of infant milk powder. Whereas in India, enforcement is as good as nothing at all. Million of Tonnes of adulterated milk find it's place all over India and those responsible for it are sitting pretty.

Coming onto cars, as discussed before, people all over China are using these cars for many years which you're comparing to DVD players and Video games.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Whereas in India, enforcement is as good as nothing at all.
Having worked in a Chinese firm, I would bet on a TATA car rather than a Chinese.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Having worked in a Chinese firm, I would bet on a TATA car rather than a Chinese.
That is OK as it's a matter of opinion.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Tiggo's face looks sad - like the car is very unhappy. Side profile and back side look good - reminds me of the new Suzuki Grand Vitara. Interiors look OK.

Rs. 6.5 - 7 Lacs is impossible. I will shave my moustache and beard if they manage to hold that price.
Old 9th February 2010, 11:26   #53

we, indians have a common perception here, i.e. chinese products lack in safety and durability. price may be the only factor that can attract customer to buy these car.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:24   #54
BHPian

Read about Chery Motors on wikipedia. They have a bad reputation for copying car designs from established makers. Moreover since they are protected by the Chinese government, they cant be sued! Talk about aggressive business models! All things said and done from 2000 to 2008, their car production has increased form 2000 to 350,000+ . Thats more than 10,000% in the time frame! If you can get a cheaper GM car badged by Chery, i would suspect many Indians will go for it! The Chinese have arrived indeed!
Old 9th February 2010, 19:39   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
All things said and done from 2000 to 2008, their car production has increased form 2000 to 350,000+ . Thats more than 10,000% in the time frame!
To put that in perspective, it's more than Tata's domestic passenger car sales for 2009. Of course, until the Nano assumes full fledged production that is.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:52   #56
BHPian

Grading all chinese products the same is not correct.
Even 25 years back Chinese have made some world class products which are as good as German make.

I'm referring to the humble folding Scissor which was very popular in the 80s. It was a 100% chinese make and many of those are still in good condition. I myself own one which is 22 years old and still works fine.
And the best part is, still it hasn't rusted here in coastal Chennai, wheras even my 4 year old german Washing machine, 2 year old microwave and many other things has rusted very soon.

Another popular and reliable chinese product from the 80s was the fountain pen brand HERO. Eventhough it was heavily inspired by a Parker design it cost just 5% of what the Parker cost and yet maintained a high standard. Virtually every school student owned one and it never leaked ink or had a broken nib.

If Tata Indica( which according to James May of Top Gear " the worst car he ever drove") can be trusted and bought by so many of us i don't think, Indians will have a problem in buying Cherry cars. Of course a lot will depend on the marketing the Cherry makers do.

Regarding copying of design every company does that in its early stages when they can't afford to have the services of world class designers.
Even Hyundai has been accused of copying designs of other manufacturers.

Last edited by Daewood : 10th February 2010 at 10:57.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:47   #57
BHPian

People are apprehensive of Chinese make because common perception is that there only emphasis is on cost cutting even at the cost of quality. This perception is there only because they have been flooding Indian with cheap low quality goods which are sometimes replicas of established western brands. This is the common people's opinion about Chinese goods.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
If Tata Indica( which according to James May of Top Gear " the worst car he ever drove") can be trusted and bought by so many of us i don't think, Indians will have a problem in buying Cherry cars. Of course a lot will depend on the marketing the Cherry makers do.
The same James (M)ay have said the Citroen 2CV was a better car to drive. That statement just came from an english stiff upper lip.He is a human being too. Take that with a carload of salt. Of course it was'nt. That was an Englishman's reaction to his perception of Indian products. Many of us reacted in the same way in this thread too, only against our perception of Chinese products .BTW, This thread is a laugh riot . Just another perspective if we know how to laugh at ourselves..
Old 10th February 2010, 15:17   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Why James, if you had always owned/driven cars like Ferrari, Bentley, Jaguar and Rolls Royce even you would have called Indica as the worst car to drive!!

Don't forget that Indica made it to UK while I don't see any Chinese car making it to UK!!

IMO it does not make any sense to say Chinese can make quality cars cause once upon a time they made quality folding Scissors and Hero pen

Last edited by HammerHead : 10th February 2010 at 15:18.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:53   #60
Team-BHP Support

Even we'll say Indica is the worst car to buy if it is sold for Rs. 8 Lacs instead of Rs. 4 Lacs. The CityRover that James May drove was priced at GBP 9000 I think.

Had it been sold for GBP 4500, I think James May would have been impressed with the car. Here is James May's opinion about the Tata Nano -
James May: Get off your bike - Telegraph

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks