Team-BHP - Whats up with this so called "Waiting period"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Whats up with this so called "Waiting period" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7471-whats-up-so-called-waiting-period.html)

Many car company play say that the car is soo much in demand that you will have to book it right away i.e today to get it As Soon As Possible(ASAP), but what do you guys think is it true or is it lies.

Consider this, Honda City (New) has wating of 4 months, but the truth is not that the car is too much in demand(it is in demand) but not as much as the company claims it it. The Real truth being they have poor Capacity to produce Citys that why less stock more wating time.

Scorpio CRDe too has a waiting period for what i dont know??

If a car is a high tech one say a Merc i can understand the wating, since the sale capacity doesnot match the production.

Also Maruti Suzuki Swift has wating of 6 months :mad: . YUP, you heard it 6 months. But that does not mean the car is superb. The car is good i agree, but not that practical(comparing to swift) However Maruti produces only 5000units per month so with 30,000 bookings swift is 6 months away. They can ramp up capacity but why they dont, God Only knows.

In this age of automotive where competition is so much people cant wait so long for a car. I have heard many people turning to Getz due to the large wating the Swift has. This way Maruti is losing customers as well and increasing RIVAL sales.

So guys what do you think about this wating period and stuff.

showing that many people are buying it and booking the car asap...the waiting period is not going to increase now....coz people are thinking of other cars now...and company's even saying six month so that people who really want swift will pay some extra to get the car asap...like some car dealer offered us swift before the official launch date asking for 20,000 bucks more

well its just a gimmick to create a scarcity,boost up the reputation of the product to an extent thats not worth,create a hyper hype and make a few extra bucks..but i think MUL is overdoing it with the swift and in the longer run could affect the company badly..

arre dude wait and watch..after 3-4 months...there will be no waiting period for swift

very true..
As per MUL minimum waiting period for Swift ZXi is 6 months and VXi also in similar time range.

Just to add something off topic ..
One of my friend has decided to go for Santro now and wait till mid 2006 to buy a seden ( then available newer models) The Santro will be used as short use car later.

Lets, take the case of the swift. I highly doubt that its a marketing gimmick simply because many potential buyers (members of this forum too) have cancelled their order due to the 6 month waiting period. Why would MUL want to deliberately lead people to buy the GEtz/Santro etc. instead of their swift?

feel its marketing over kill. First they were not sure , how market will respond to Swift.
Second , they didn't launch it with few thousand stock in hand.

Third , our Indian mentality is run where everyone is running, very few chooses to question or deviate. That's the reason, in today's world we are still ready to wait for a car for 6months or more.( In certain cases after paying the full amount).

Fourth the previous generations hardship ( one use to wait for 8-10 years for a scooter delivery) adaptation is yet to wean away.

there is nothing like creating a scarcity thing in Maruti Swift's case.
its just that the car is based upon a completely new platform and the mfg. capacity at maruti's plant are not adequate for the swift.
why are u guys forgetting that maruti aint selling the swift only in India.
there is m800, alto, zen, wagonR, esteem, and balenos. they are manufacturing the highest no. of cars in India.
obv it would take time for maruti to increase their manufacturing capacity. since maruti has already planned 5 more models on the swift platform, i am pretty sure that after an year or so, their swift prod capacity would be increased to abt 2-3 folds the current one.

Its a simple law of economics - Demand does not meet Supply!
It does mean that the car is selling well but it also reflects that the company was foolish not to tackle such antisipated issues.

Quote:

Its a simple law of economics - Demand does not meet Supply!
Umm, Actually its supply being unable to meet the demand.

Its hardly a marketing gimmick, and no one is going to make a paying customer run away to someone else with ready goods. Do you know how many potential customers the NHC and Swift have lost due to waiting periods. In addition and according to the JD Quality survey, long waiting periods were the no.1 source of dissatisfaction for customers.

Quote:

Scorpio CRDe too has a waiting period for what i dont know??
Incorrect. I was at the showroom yesterday and Scorpios are available within 4 - 5 days. In mumbai atleast.

GTO

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Seems that maruti still have not been able to meet the demand for the Swift. I believe the waiting period for a Swift is still about 2-4 months depending on the colour, variant and options. This is unacceptable. The swift is no longer a new car in the market. Isn't it about time Maruti got their act together and provide these cars withing a reasonable time frame?

I would say poor planning - under estimation.

Fiats in the '60s had a waiting period of 5+ years!!
In the '70s 3+ years
Even today some premium cars have a waiting period of 1 year[ they offcourse call it made to order!
So I guess for a good car like the Swift which is successfull and a good car and is selling well in Europe too, the waiting of 2 months is not bad.

Bajaj Chetak had a waiting period of 10+ years, that takes the cake. In the present time Gurkha has a waiting period that is practically never ending. People are still waiting after 8 months.

My uncle used to describe the car buying process in the early 70s in our area. You had to use influence to secure an ambassador booking, and then constantly prod the dealer for the next 6 months to two years, or use further influence to get a car assigned to you. Those were scary days.

It is not marketing gimmick. Those days and these days, it is basically demand outstripping supply. Some manufacturers increase their capacity, but some just want to manage with existing capacity.