Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 18:38   #46
BHPian

IMHO Scorpio has a bundle of ALL un-necessary gimmicks than those much needed features expected in a Vehicle.

Nevertheless, Scorpio is a great Marketing success by Mahindra.

Last edited by harimakesh : 21st February 2010 at 18:40.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
IMHO Scorpio has a bundle of ALL un-necessary gimmicks than those much needed features expected in a Vehicle.

Nevertheless, Scorpio is a great Marketing success by Mahindra.
unnecessary gimmicks like?
Old 21st February 2010, 22:35   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
unnecessary gimmicks like?
Air pressure indicators which work when they feel like, the voice assist system, intelligent wipers which are NOT intelligent...Raj, you should have bought the SLE and saved some money
Old 21st February 2010, 23:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Air pressure indicators which work when they feel like, the voice assist system, intelligent wipers which are NOT intelligent...Raj, you should have bought the SLE and saved some money

Unfortunately people who want a 4x4 Scorpio are being forced to take as well as pay for these.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:33   #50
BHPian

I agree with the unnecessary gimmicks that the Scoprio has.... but what has been omitted which is necessary?

BTW, I dont own a scoprio and I found SLE more VFM than VLX when I was shortlisting scorpio for a purchase.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Unfortunately people who want a 4x4 Scorpio are being forced to take as well as pay for these.
Mahindra should offer the 4x4 SLX with mhawk engine and without the gimmickery for a decent price. This way there will be more takers for the 4x4 version.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nah! i would have bought the VLX even now.

i do find the air pressure indicators & rain sensing wipers (which is working fine in my car) to be very useful & convenient.

only thing not so useful in the VLX is the cruise control.

also, the voice assist system is not an irritant to me.

i find the majority who complain about the VAS & other electronics is either non-scorpio owners or either scorpio LX or SLE owners who have not used it regularly.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I agree with the unnecessary gimmicks that the Scoprio has.... but what has been omitted which is necessary?
Mahindra Marketing = Captive selling

Scorpio VLX is a classic example of Captive selling of Cruise control,TPMS, Auto light on, Rain sensors thrusted upon aspiring customers.

A/T must be made available as a CHOICE for customer without CAPTIVE Marketing strings attached.

Instead of thrusting a useless marketing gimmick "Cruise control" on customers M&M must offer "Rear Disc brakes" which is an absolute necessary for such 2ton vehicle & safety for all.

Instead of Thrusting mandatory marketing gimmicks TPMS, Auto light on, Rain sensors on customers M&M must genuinely offer A/T in the VLX bundle.

Reduction of Scorpio height to be around 1800mm will enhance handling and dynamics much better.

M&M must offer Scorpio SLE A/T with all disc brakes.

Until such time Indian manufacturers like M&M begin to think about Indian customer needs in lines of offering Scorpio SLE A/T & Xylo E8 A/Twith ABSall disk brakes at 9L ex-showroom prices and TATA think of developing A/T for its vehicles and offer them in Safari variants at around 10L with all disc brakes, The so called premium Toyota & Hondawill Fleece Indians with Fortuner and City respectively
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Until such time Indian manufacturers like M&M begin to think about Indian customer needs in lines of offering Scorpio SLE A/T & Xylo E8 A/Twith ABSall disk brakes at 9L ex-showroom prices and TATA think of developing A/T for its vehicles and offer them in Safari variants at around 10L with all disc brakes, The so called premium Toyota & Hondawill Fleece Indians with Fortuner and City respectively
There is this perception that Indian buyer is more worried about fancy features. It is the list of features that make a car sell more. Very few really bother about safety aspects like airbags, ABS, brakes etc. Scorpio VLX has only two airbags, and that too optional.

Yes, Fortuner price is a rip off. It is because M&M/Tata are not introducing a competitive SUV that Toyota is fleecing Indian buyers. The moment a competitive alternative is present for Fortuner, I am sure the story is going to change.
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:59   #55
BHPian

@Hari -: Which Indian manufacturer gives an Auto box in all its variants or at least in top 2 variants? Take even Honda, Toyota, Hyundai for eg.. even they give AT only with highest version. AT dont have much demand in India as of now, and the manufacturers have to look at cost factor when deciding anything. They are in the market for profits.

About ride height, ground clearance etc.. its an SUV and its heritage in Jeeps. If you want the ground clearance reduces, go ahead and buy a sedan/hatch. You will get an i20 with everything you need.
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Hari -: Which Indian manufacturer gives an Auto box in all its variants or at least in top 2 variants? Take even Honda, Toyota, Hyundai for eg.. even they give AT only with highest version. AT dont have much demand in India as of now, and the manufacturers have to look at cost factor when deciding anything. They are in the market for profits.
You sure about this?

i10 AT comes in magna, sportz and asta variants.

Honda city used to come in S AT and V AT.

Also, I think the low penetration of AT is due to misinformation (about really bad FE, breakdown problems etc).
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:37   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Unfortunately people who want a 4x4 Scorpio are
being forced to take as well as pay for these.
So true

Quote:

BTW, I dont own a scoprio and I found SLE more VFM than VLX when I was shortlisting scorpio for a purchase.
SLE is THE most VFM. Frankly even the alloys suck in the VLX version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Mahindra should offer the 4x4 SLX with mhawk engine and without the gimmickery for a decent price. This way there will be more takers for the 4x4 version.
And I wish M&M had released the 4x4 variant at the time of launching the refresh model. I have not an iota of idea why they delayed the damn thing so far. Where's that Spike - Arrest(or) him right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Nah! i would have bought the VLX even now.

i do find the air pressure indicators & rain sensing wipers (which is working fine in my car) to be very useful & convenient.

only thing not so useful in the VLX is the cruise control.

also, the voice assist system is not an irritant to me.

i find the majority who complain about the VAS & other electronics is either non-scorpio owners or either scorpio LX or SLE owners who have not used it regularly.
Its not a question of being irritable or (vaguely) useful. Its a question of unethical foisting of features you dont even want to pay for in exchange for that one useful thing you need. I wonder when SaaS/cloud computing ethos are going to hit car manufacturers in India. And it better hit them like a ton of bricks.

As opposed to all these gimmicks, give me on top of the SLE

1. ABS channels on all 4 tyres
2. SIX Air bags
3. EBD with ABS
4. Sun Roof (An SUV without a sun-roof is damning)
5. Better Air-con system for the rear
6. Height adjustable seats
7. 4x4
8. Optional choice between the AT and the Manual Transmission
9 AND charge me MORE for a good service experience. Time is money Mr Tata and Mr Mahindra!

Quote:
Mahindra Marketing = Captive selling

Scorpio VLX is a classic example of Captive selling of Cruise control,TPMS, Auto light on, Rain sensors thrusted upon aspiring customers.

A/T must be made available as a CHOICE for customer without CAPTIVE Marketing strings attached.

Instead of thrusting a useless marketing gimmick "Cruise control" on customers M&M must offer "Rear Disc brakes" which is an absolute necessary for such 2ton vehicle & safety for all.

Instead of Thrusting mandatory marketing gimmicks TPMS, Auto light on, Rain sensors on customers M&M must genuinely offer A/T in the VLX bundle.

Reduction of Scorpio height to be around 1800mm will enhance handling and dynamics much better.

M&M must offer Scorpio SLE A/T with all disc brakes.

You said that right sir. Toyota and Honda are just riding on branding and a well perfected/honed product + after sales service. Our guys should just hire a couple of people from there and do a Kaizen on everything. Wonder where all the money goes. Great escapes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
There is this perception that Indian buyer is more worried about fancy features. It is the list of features that make a car sell more. Very few really bother about safety aspects like airbags, ABS, brakes etc. Scorpio VLX has only two airbags, and that too optional.

Yes, Fortuner price is a rip off. It is because M&M/Tata are not introducing a competitive SUV that Toyota is fleecing Indian buyers. The moment a competitive alternative is present for Fortuner, I am sure the story is going to change.
And thats because the average indian is still educating himself on cars. But once people *know*, by george these manufacturers are gonna run for cover.
Old 23rd February 2010, 04:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys, India is a still maturing market w.r.to Automobiles. We have very few options of making our choices in variants! Often the variants are designed not with customer in mind or market in mind but the 'positioning' in mind. It works the reverse in our country!!

So, lets hope for better days ahead where we have an option of deciding what we want and a decent price to go with it, till then-play cool!!

Happy Motoring!
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:03   #59
BHPian

This thread is supposed to be a tribute to the Scoppio, right?
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINUMON View Post
This thread is supposed to be a tribute to the Scoppio, right?

exactly, thats the reason i preferred to keep quiet!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed