Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 11:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheeldrive View Post
I think that WagonR will get the 1.2 litre G-Series engine from Eeco.
For Alto 1 cylinder can be chopped off from the above 1.2 Litre G-Series engine to give a 3 Cylinder 900 cc engine. That way they can keep the costs down as the G-Series is old engine. Also Alto and WagonR are still the top 2 selling cars in India. With these changes the engine performance of both the cars will also go up.
I think FE will be more important in this segment than outright performance. Remember, the Alto is selling 22000 units a month due to its price point. Any hike in price will be inversely proportional to the sales figures. We have a very decent alternative in the Spark. The base Santro is also not very far off. The F8D can be tuned to meet Euro IV norms. Let's wait and see what they are going to do.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

At a time when cutting-edge cars are being offered to the common man in India, Maruti seems determined to stick to its "cheapest car" approach. That cant be right for a long term strategy in a maturing market.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
At a time when cutting-edge cars are being offered to the common man in India, Maruti seems determined to stick to its "cheapest car" approach. That cant be right for a long term strategy in a maturing market.
Don't really think so.
Let us not forget that there is a huge market for cars in the sub 3.5 L range. Imagine if every manufacture started producing only the so called "premium" hatchbacks (viz Swift, i10 Kappa, Figo, Punto etc.) then where would the real common man go? The gap between the entry level A (Nano/M800/Alto) and B+ segment must be filled and that is where these sub 3.5 L cars fit in. A lot of first time car buyers who can't afford the premium hatchbacks choose this, and so do the people upgrading from 800/Alto segment.

Last edited by DCEite : 12th February 2010 at 12:15.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong in going for the cheapest car approach. Not everyone can afford a Swift or Punto. Basically they are provide a choice at the bottom of the pyramid where the sales opportunity will be higher. The Alto is not selling 22000 odd units a month for nothing. It offers an individual an opportunity to go in for a new car rather than a used one. Then again Maruti is not stopping any other manufacturer from offering a product at that price point. The Tatas have already done it and Hyundai is looking at it now. More competition means better opportunities for the customer. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:42   #20

Alto website is down! Wink Wink

Hello guys,

I was trying to access Alto's micro-site, but Maruti seems to have pulled it down. I guess it's time for the new Alto to hit the streets! Any news or test mule spotted?

Cheers!

Sanket
Old 17th March 2010, 20:48   #21
BHPian

With the date to implement BS IV norms not too far, still no sign of the new Alto anywhere. Anybody has any concrete information on this front? Come April 2nd and it will be a wait of 7 full months since I sold my previous car and decided to wait for the BS IV Alto.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

@longhorn - I hope your wait is over, just see this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...coop-pics.html
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@longhorn - I hope your wait is over, just see this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...coop-pics.html
@ Argee you got it wrong. That thread is for the all new 4th gen WagonR. That should be getting either the K12M or G12 engine. The YP3 is a much smaller engine probably a 660cc motor. My guess is, if they stop selling the current WagonR when they introduce the new one, then the old one will make its appearance , probably six months down the line, as a low cost variant. The above WagonR (4th gen) is not going to be a low cost variant.

Last edited by longhorn : 23rd March 2010 at 11:30.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:38   #24
BHPian

Got a call from Mandovi-Shivajinagar sales guy today saying they have got the details of the BS IV Alto - he asked me to book the vehicle and to take delivery before the end of this month.

Details given by him.
1. Current engine has been re-worked to meet BS IV norms.
2. Comes with 2-tone dash - he said there is a silver lining - perhaps silver borders to the AC vents etc., from what i understand.
3. Rear seats come with fixed head rests.
4. Tubeless tyres.
5. Mileage of 19+ kms.
6. On-road price - 3,44,343/= (i assume it is for the lxi model)
7. Cash discount of 12K on the above price.

I asked him about the colours available and he told me the same colours that were available on BS III models. When I asked him if the brochure was available, he said it would be available in 1 or 2 days. I have asked him to call me as soon as the brochure is available.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
Got a call from Mandovi-Shivajinagar sales guy today saying they have got the details of the BS IV Alto - he asked me to book the vehicle and to take delivery before the end of this month.

Details given by him.
1. Current engine has been re-worked to meet BS IV norms.
2. Comes with 2-tone dash - he said there is a silver lining - perhaps silver borders to the AC vents etc., from what i understand.
3. Rear seats come with fixed head rests.
4. Tubeless tyres.
5. Mileage of 19+ kms.
6. On-road price - 3,44,343/= (i assume it is for the lxi model)
7. Cash discount of 12K on the above price.

I asked him about the colours available and he told me the same colours that were available on BS III models. When I asked him if the brochure was available, he said it would be available in 1 or 2 days. I have asked him to call me as soon as the brochure is available.
thanks for sharing information,
IMHO, the new BS IV Alto price should be around 2.8-3.4 L.
orther thing i think maruti must bring BS IV Alto to the market as soon as possible unless they will lose share to the new comer.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Some news trickling in w.r.t. low cost Alto with YP3 engine courtesy MSN India.

Quote:
Maruti has already started sourcing parts for an engine for the new Alto -- codenamed YP3 -- which will be a two-cylinder engine. The current Alto lineup sports an 800-cc, three-cylinder F8D engine. The new engine will help Maruti lower prices significantly, a vendor confirmed.
According to vendors privy to the plans, the car will be launched by the second half of 2011. A top component-maker with direct knowledge of the development told FE: "Maruti's strategy is to explore every price category in the small car segment. The Nano launch forced it to sit up and explore this segment once again."

Another vendor said though the new Alto would cost at least Rs 50,000 more than the Nano, Maruti hopes to attract customers who would take a bank loan for a Nano. "The idea is that if a customer can buy a Nano with a certain down payment, he can perhaps own a Maruti product at a little extra cost," he said.
A Maruti Suzuki spokesperson denied having any plans for a stripped-down Alto.

Last edited by longhorn : 13th September 2010 at 15:00.
Old 13th September 2010, 20:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

So a whole family of alto models.This 2 cylinder model,the 800cc model and the K10.
I guess they will price the 2 cylinder model with the introductory price of 1.99L,a good option for nano buyers.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:17   #28
BHPian

Maruti's Answer to Nano: Get a stripped down version of Maruti Alto for 2 Lakh !!!

Hey Guys... Just read a news on MSN

Maruti is plannig to launch a stripped down version of Maruti Alto for 2 Lakh Only.... Its powered by a 2 cylinder motor..

Here's the link: Get a stripped-down Alto for Rs 2 lakh - 1 - *Autos - MSN India

I guess, Tata's will be sweating for their Nano sales..
Old 13th September 2010, 21:24   #29
BHPian

There is already a thread for the same : Please Click Here
Old 13th September 2010, 21:25   #30
BANNED

There are at least 2 other threads on Alto / Nano down there in the similar threads section.

That said, I feel grateful to the Gods at MSILfor not pushing a souped up version if M800 down our throats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks