Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 13:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Alto, WagonR to get YP3 engine

Source :MSN India

The country's largest passenger car manufacturer, Maruti Suzuki India, is working on a new engine, which would replace the existing engines of its 800 cc hatchback Alto and 1.1 litre Wagon R. Once the automaker replaces the existing engine of these two high-selling cars, it is expected that it would be in a position to lower their prices significantly, which would help it rev upsales.

The new engine would be more powerful and would be the next revolutionary change after the KB Series engine, fitted in Estillo, Ritz and A Star. The new engine is code named YP3.Currently F8D engines are fitted in Alto and Wagon R.

Maruti has already started procuring components for YP3, to be fitted in these two cars by year-end. The new engine will have two variants with two cylinders and three cylinders for Alto and Wagon R, respectively.
When contacted, a Maruti spokesperson said, "We do not comment on our future product and strategies".

The Maruti move comes at a time when global auto biggies like Toyota, Volkswagen, Honda and Nissan -- are stuck with anemic growth in their recession-hit home markets like the US, Europe and Japan and are set to be aggressive in India with their small car models.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

then why not the M800 as well ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:32   #3
BHPian

If they are making 2 cylinder engine then they are going to reposition Alto to Nano range for the cities.I feel it's bad move to give Alto a 2 cylinder engine might kill its name it earned.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
then why not the M800 as well ?
The 800's days are numbered. It won't be long before they pull the plug on it. IMO, it won't be available after April 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
If they are making 2 cylinder engine then they are going to reposition Alto to Nano range for the cities.I feel it's bad move to give Alto a 2 cylinder engine might kill its name it earned.
I think its going to be a new variant. Ditto for the WagonR. IMO both will get the YP3 engine that will co exist with the current ones or the K series units, unless they plan to bring in the all new WagonR and the Cervo to replace the WagonR and Alto respectively.

Last edited by longhorn : 3rd February 2010 at 15:41.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The new engine is code named YP3.
Why not utilise the same 3 & 4 cylinder engines as in the A-star and Ritz?

Maruti being the master of mass production, more numbers would make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
The 800's days are numbered. It won't be long before they pull the plug on it.
Remember reading somewhere, that it wont pass the upcoming side impact norms. Also sales are now down to 2000+ units per month!
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not utilise the same 3 & 4 cylinder engines as in the A-star and Ritz?

Maruti being the master of mass production, more numbers would make sense.
I believe its got something to do with the cost of production. The YP3 would probably be cheaper to produce. Else it doesn't make sense. They could very well chop off one block from the K10B and you get a 660 cc motor. Well anyways competition is waking Maruti from its slumber. Till now they had a free run literally.
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God!!! 3 cylinder for WagonR that boasted 4 cylinder 16 valves??? Hope the new motor pumps out better BHP
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh my God!!! 3 cylinder for WagonR that boasted 4 cylinder 16 valves??? Hope the new motor pumps out better BHP
Even the new Estilo with the K series engine is a 3 cylinder unit. The refinement level would go down but you get better power and FE. Not too bad a trade off !
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:04   #9
BANNED

There was a news some 2-3 weeks back that Maruti will launch cheaper versions of Swift, Alto and Wagon-R. So, along with these cars in the existing price levels (may be, with K-series engines for BS-IV compliance), the new models (with new YP3 engine) may also be available at a cheaper rate.

I think the YP3 series engines will be a modification to the current F series engines, just like what Maruti has done to the 1.3 G-series engine, for use in Eeco.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think the YP3 series engines will be a modification to the current F series engines, just like what Maruti has done to the 1.3 G-series engine, for use in Eeco.
What I think is that the existing F series will be modified for E-IV ( as its not entirely impossible and Maruti had earlier stated that they can do this ) and will come in Alto and Wagon R in cheaper variants. And the K series will come in higher variants of Alto and Wagon R.

If at all Maruti is interested in reducing the cost of Swift, they will plonk in the 1200cc G series from Eeco into Swift for lower variants or different variants. And the higher variants will come with K series motors.

And as far as YP3 goes, I believe that is would be an evolution of K series rather than F series.
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

What needs to be seen now is what Maruti is going to do with the Alto and WagonR. While the WagonR would most probably be shod with the K10B, its the Alto's engine that's going to be the real surprise. They have two options. Shod it with the K10B and raise the price(not a very wise option) or upgrade the F8D to meet Euro IV norms.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:52   #12
BHPian

Yes I agree, A 2 cylinder will be a nano competition. I drove the Zen 3 cyl and found it to be rougher than the smooth wagon R . I wish they sell both the 3 and the 4 cyl side by side.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The new engine will have two variants with two cylinders and three cylinders for Alto and Wagon R, respectively.
2 and 3 cycl OH NO!!!!! my MSIL has such a sinking idea!!!(No offending to anyone and MSIL Too) 3 cyl is least acceptable but not 2 cyl NO!!!. then as it would really come down to compete with Nano. ALto is really a best in class car and so do Wagan R
Old 5th February 2010, 21:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
) 3 cyl is least acceptable but not 2 cyl NO!!!.
As long as it is has good drive ability and adequate power,I don't think that should be much of a problem.

Its quite possible that the Alto will come with the new YP3 mill,judging by the recent moves by MSIL(Swift with new K Series and the new SX4 VVT),rather than modifying the current F-Series mill to meet Euro-IV norms

Last edited by AyAn! : 5th February 2010 at 21:07.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:15   #15
BHPian

I think that WagonR will get the 1.2 litre G-Series engine from Eeco.
For Alto 1 cylinder can be chopped off from the above 1.2 Litre G-Series engine to give a 3 Cylinder 900 cc engine. That way they can keep the costs down as the G-Series is old engine. Also Alto and WagonR are still the top 2 selling cars in India. With these changes the engine performance of both the cars will also go up.

Most Viewed