Team-BHP - Why not get the facelifted Chevy U-VA with the S-TEC II Beat engine.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Why not get the facelifted Chevy U-VA with the S-TEC II Beat engine. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/74877-why-not-get-facelifted-chevy-u-va-s-tec-ii-beat-engine.html)

This is a good opportunity for GM.

The Beat seems to have had a good start. Not sales chart topping but pretty decent.

The Beat engine is extremely refined and performance is pretty much on par with the i10 1.2L Kappa.

On the other hand their aging Aveo U-VA is barely moving out of the showrooms. The old 1150cc S-TEC engine has very mediocre performance and is not even efficient.

This is a good opportunity for GM.

GM can bring in the facelifted Aveo U-VA which is there in other markets like UK. I'm not referring to the Aveo RS concept shown in Detroit but the facelifted one shown in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post872953

With this facelift they can plonk in the 1.2L S-TEC II Beat engine. It wont be a blazing performer but the USP of the U-VA is ride, space and solid build, now coupled with the new 1.2L engine should make it a decent package.

With the aggressive pricing strategy GM has adopted recently with the Cruze and Beat they can easily undercut the i20, Punto and even come close to the Swift pricing.

This should be a pretty good package.

Another advantage is reuse. Same engine in Beat and U-VA would mean lower manufacturing costs.

Remember Hyundai is already doing just this with the i10 and i20 both sporting the 1.2L Kappa engines.

The GM hatchback lineup will be complete with this. The Spark to compete with Alto and Santro. The Beat to compete with the i10 and Ritz. Now finally they can have the Aveo U-VA to compete with i20 and Swift.

Is GM planning to do this? If not why aren't they looking at this option?

I think they are planning to do this and are working towards launching the facelifted UVA by early 2011.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1716053)
I think they are planning to do this and are working towards launching the facelifted UVA by early 2011.

That long just for a facelift and engine upgrade.

They should be working to get this car out in a few months latest.

Then they can look at getting the new Aveo unveiled in Detroit by 2012 to India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1716064)
That long just for a facelift and engine upgrade.

They should be working to get this car out in a few months latest.

Then they can look at getting the new Aveo unveiled in Detroit by 2012 to India.

Sad but true! I even love the Aveo UVA in its present guise. But with new looks, its a beast!

PS: Don't forget we just might get it with our "National Engine":D

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1716138)
Sad but true! I even love the Aveo UVA in its present guise. But with new looks, its a beast!

PS: Don't forget we just might get it with our "National Engine":D

Nope national engine is not possible.

GM India has issued a circular in ACI long time back that they have no plans for the Aveo and U-VA to get the MJD.

I think some license/royalty issues which does not give access to GM india to those engines.

I agree to Vid6639 to some extent, but the question is, don't you guys think U-VA failed due to lack of diesel variant? Its high time for GM India to launch a diesel version of Aveo and U-VA and yes with refreshed exteriors and interiors too!!

If not MJD, I have wondered why not source the 1.4TDCI engine from Ford. Its a fantastic engine too and should fit for U-VA and Aveo. I know its easy to say and Ford might not be interested as it can jeopardize its own lineup. But just a thought, maybe can Ford sell their 1.4Tdci with a slight premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerHead (Post 1716155)
I agree to Vid6639 to some extent, but the question is, don't you guys think U-VA failed due to lack of diesel variant? Its high time for GM India to launch a diesel version of Aveo and U-VA and yes with refreshed exteriors and interiors too!!

+1.. With the space and ride offered by these 2 cars,they could have had an advantage with diesel mills doing duty on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1716149)

I kind of missed that! In that case use their partner's (or owner's) engine from Shanghai Motors line up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerHead (Post 1716155)

Plus 1 to this. They have already refurbished the interiors and its only the exteriors that needs a revamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivn (Post 1716174)
If not MJD, I have wondered why not source the 1.4TDCI engine from Ford. Its a fantastic engine too and should fit for U-VA and Aveo. I know its easy to say and Ford might not be interested as it can jeopardize its own lineup. But just a thought, maybe can Ford sell their 1.4Tdci with a slight premium.

Nope, not possible. They have been arch rivals for ages now:Frustrati

I think they have totally given up on this generation Aveo.

New engine and facelift do need some investment as far as calibration/homologation/testing and with the all new Aveo round the corner there is probably not enough time to recover that investment.

a new aveo is coming and what a hatchback it is. GM is gonna be a serious player in the future and it will get back on its feet. i am optimistic about that, checkout search for new aveo RS hatchback on you-tube. it was shown in the Detroit auto show! i believe its gonna come to India soon.. not the RS version but the hatch definitely!

The Aveo U-VA is neither good looking nor a hoot to drive though it is spacious . I dont think any facelift or engine upgrade can revive sales unless they offer some drastic cut price budget offering . They might just let it die slowly and concentrate on the Beat and Spark .

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1716149)

GM India has issued a circular in ACI long time back that they have no plans for the Aveo and U-VA to get the MJD.

I think some license/royalty issues which does not give access to GM india to those engines.

Are you sure? In their beat test drive they had mentioned that the beat would get diesel power by end 2010 as GM's diesel engine plant will only be operational by then. The UVA and Aveo should get the engine too then

Quote:

Originally Posted by radiokidb (Post 1716957)
Are you sure? In their beat test drive they had mentioned that the beat would get diesel power by end 2010 as GM's diesel engine plant will only be operational by then. The UVA and Aveo should get the engine too then

The engine that they are talking about is a 1litre 3 cylinder diesel engine developed by GM.

Oh yeah, you are correct its a 1 litre 55 hp engine for the beat. Bleh sounds like it'll be boring :/ If they've got no other diesel in their lineup, the new UVA and Aveo arent gonna sell well if they dont offer them with a better diesel engine