Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 19:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
It sure has a Ford Mondeo lineage, and a FWD. On road would be 45lacs+ Mumbai. For the price not worth it. Not great fun to drive, and safety features kick in when? Will depreciate like Camry's.
Yes, I was thinking the same as well. Ever since Ford took over Volvo, several of their cars share Ford platforms. S80 is no different. Volvo is however one of the safest cars ever made. But true, they are not a car to drive. Instead its a car to be driven in. Corporate companies and hotels will form a bee line to book them!
Old 5th February 2010, 21:53   #17
BHPian

These cars always known for big discounts in US.. I remember they always offered 20-30% off from MSRP... If anything goes bad only Swedish engineer can login remotely and fix the issue... It's better to go for Beemer...
Old 6th February 2010, 00:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
These cars always known for big discounts in US.. I remember they always offered 20-30% off from MSRP... If anything goes bad only Swedish engineer can login remotely and fix the issue... It's better to go for Beemer...
Well, the pre - facelift S80 and the XC90 were being offered at handsome discounts, and it resulted in the sales of many XC90's in Kerala. No other Diesel SUV has been available till now at that price- point, except for the Montero, the existence of which not many potential buyers are even aware of. The ML's and X5's are well in the 50- 60L range, and most XC90 buyers have BMW's and Mercedeses in their garage. Now that the Diesel Prado and the Touareg have been launched, XC90 is also bound to have a tough time.

In terms of sheer seat comfort, very few cars across all price ranges can beat the XC90 or the S80. I did a Bangalore- Kochi drive in an S80 last week, and can vouch for it!

But I agree that the the 520d makes a better buy at 37L, or the E250CDI an even better one.
Old 5th March 2010, 13:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

How Sachin got the Volvo S80!

Sachin who was awarded the Man of the Series was gifted the keys to the luxurious Volvo S80 twin-turbo diesel. It also makes Sachin the first cricketer to win a luxurious car of this stature and value

Source :: hotklix | How Sachin got the Volvo S80!

Name:  11.gif
Views: 3073
Size:  95.3 KB
Old 5th March 2010, 15:07   #20
BHPian

Just before the final ODI match between IND-SA, there was a quicke review of this car.
It looked really impressive, the seats were comfy looking with adequate thigh support.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Sachin who was awarded the Man of the Series was gifted the keys to the luxurious Volvo S80 twin-turbo diesel. It also makes Sachin the first cricketer to win a luxurious car of this stature and value

Source :: hotklix | How Sachin got the Volvo S80!

Attachment 300920
too bad the entire indian team ruined the suspension of such a nice and expensive vehicle.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
too bad the entire indian team ruined the suspension of such a nice and expensive vehicle.
It can be taken the other way also. In terms of advt they can say the car has taken all 14 members of Indian team and has the strength to take that much load. Right?
Old 6th March 2010, 13:40   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
It also makes Sachin the first cricketer to win a luxurious car of this stature and value
Your statement or that of the press release? Either ways, its incorrect. Ravi Shastri's Audi had far more stature and value, especially considering that it was gifted in pre-liberalisation India.

Quote:
In terms of advt they can say the car has taken all 14 members of Indian team and has the strength to take that much load.
Rubbish and I hope Volvo is the wiser. If anything, that will bring yet another "Volvo, is it a bus or a car" concern amongst the masses
Old 6th March 2010, 14:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

I don't find anything interesting in this car. It looks the same as the old S80. 37 lakh is too expensive for what is offered. If they price it around 30 lakh, Volvo can find some buyers. Just a load of safety features doesn't make a luxury car. Its better to buy a E250 cdi.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:17   #25
BHPian

If VOLVO/Ford plans to bring some localisation for the parts i think it can be a few lacs cheaper, say in the bmw3 or c class territory. Then it ll be good value for money...
Old 7th March 2010, 13:24   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
If they price it around 30 lakh, Volvo can find some buyers.
Well, it really isn't simple to price such a car at 30 lakh rupees and still make a profit. Though I agree with you that the Germans offer superior choices, and the market agrees, Volvo won't sell cars at a loss. I don't see a future for the brand in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
If VOLVO/Ford plans to bring some localisation for the parts i think it can be a few lacs cheaper
A high level of localisation for a 30 - 40 lakh car is ridiculous. Even the best sellers in this segment manage 100 - 200 cars a month, hardly enough to warrant a local supplier base.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Ravi Shastri's Audi had far more stature and value, especially considering that it was gifted in pre-liberalisation India.

If anything, that will bring yet another "Volvo, is it a bus or a car" concern amongst the masses
Your both statements are spot on.

Actually when i read the title of the thread, i thought oh..volvo has halunched one more bus model, then i thought of skipping it. Then i thought, let me check the interiors.

later on i found it to be a car
Old 7th March 2010, 15:04   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ravi Shastri's Audi win did more for Audi than their current media advertising. Imagine 20 million viewers in awe at that time.
Old 7th March 2010, 21:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Ravi Shastri's Audi win did more for Audi than their current media advertising. Imagine 20 million viewers in awe at that time.
I think the times were different. Neither of those two groups (Audi & Audience) would have thought so much about other.
vigneshA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2010, 14:42   #30
Team-BHP Support

Just read through this thread. It is quite funny to see how much our members value Volvo as a brand. The discussion on Volvo S80 quite quickly transformed into a different discussion - who got better a better gift, Shastri or Tendulkar!

The S80 is clearly in the league of German bigwigs Merc E and BMW 5 series, but just that it caters different sensibilities. For that matter Merc was in the threat of getting tagged as an Uncle's car - and they managed to slightly get back into the game with the new C and E. For me, looking at our road conditions and the driving sensibilities of our public (not talking of the small percentage of polished drivers), Volvo cars make a lot more sense with their excellent safety features. For a change, this company always offered an array of safety features as standard , and not as part of expensive option list.

Then the whole picture of Volvo as a bus company. Again this can be viewed as a positive. They're indeed responsible for pushing up the quality standards of heavy vehicles in India. And its all about perception. If being a bus manufacturer is a reason for bad publicity, then the same should hold true for Mercedes globally, and maybe Tata at home.
Lastly on the new Chinese branding. For me ownership need not necessarily dilute the heritage. Even though they have Chinese owners, they will still be run by Swedish management on a day-to-day basis. Similar to how Tata is running Jaguar or Land rover. Going by our benchmark, people should Shun Jaguar and Land Rover, as it is owned by the company who makes tinny Tata buses or Nano!

Having said all these, I am quite sure that Volvo will not gain much acceptance in India in near future. Even with that, I am happy that the company is bringing in new models to India via CBU route, so that our buyers are at least not deprived of an excellent option. And going by the previews the S60 will be another excellent choice in the near future.
As a responsible automobile forum, I think we should give a bit more thought, before ridiculing a specific brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks