Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 19:29   #181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Are the Ikon/Fiesta/New Fiesta models going to sold along side each other? If the current Fiesta moves into Ikon price territory, then there is enough room for Ford to price the new Fiesta sedan below the competition.
Ikon will be discontinued , thats for sure, rest of the plans are still not sure. But we are getting the fiesta hatch first & then only after some time the fiesta sedan will come.
Old 16th May 2010, 20:09   #182
oss
BHPian

Quote:
I fail to understand why Ford have been hesitant with the 1.6 TDCi. It should have found its way into the current Fiesta, but Ford have held back for some reason.The new Fiesta sedan will be up against competition like the VW Polo sedan, which is said to have a torquey 1.6 diesel. About time Ford India give us a 1.6 TDCi New Fiesta S..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
If we introduce it then obviously the mileage will be much less than the competition ie the lineas, the dzires, etc. etc.
Isn't the 1.6TDCi as fuel efficient (if not more) as the 1.4 TDCi? All the international test figures seem to suggest it returns 20+ mileges, so I would expect Indian driving conditions to provide atelast 14/19 kind of figures, which is just as good.

Quote:
Ikon will be discontinued , thats for sure, rest of the plans are still not sure. But we are getting the fiesta hatch first & then only after some time the fiesta sedan will come.
Any change in plan for Focus launch schedule! Looks like that not very high on the priority for Ford. With the lifetime tax changes in Tamilnadu to 15% it has become costlier by a lakh even before it was launched

Last edited by oss : 16th May 2010 at 20:12. Reason: Multi quote
Old 16th May 2010, 20:11   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Isn't the 1.6TDCi as fuel efficient (if not more) as the 1.4 TDCi? All the international test figures seem to suggest it returns 20+ mileges, so I would expect Indian driving conditions to provide atelast 14/19 kind of figures, which is just as good.
no actually it is slightly less FE. Especially when frequent gear changes are involved, it is less FE then.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:55   #184
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mustang, the 1.4 TDCi is now outshone by newer, more powerful, competitors. The 4.5 lakh Figo can still carry that engine, but I doubt a new C segment sedan could make do with only 68 BHP. Lets also keep in mind that the new Fiesta will be larger / heavier than the current car and thus, will have a lower power to weight ratio (if the 1.4 TDCi is used).

Diesels are inherently fuel efficient. I doubt anyones going to complain about a 1.6 TDCis fuel efficiency, which is presumably respectable (independent of the 1.4).
Old 17th May 2010, 14:23   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But we are getting the fiesta hatch first & then only after some time the fiesta sedan will come.
Can we expect the Fiesta hatch to go up against the i20 or will it move into Jazz price point?

Quote:
Any change in plan for Focus launch schedule! Looks like that not very high on the priority for Ford.
The Focus has been in the pipeline for far too long. This is a car that should have made it to India before or in place of the Mondeo. There are Ikon/Fiesta owners looking to upgrade and they are left with no choice but to look elsewhere.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:32   #186
Senior - BHPian

Mustang, here's my unsolicited pricing suggestions for your future launches. Please pass them along to your Marketing division.

Fiesta hatch- 7 lacs
Fiesta sedan- 9 lacs
Focus sedan- 11 lacs
Mondeo- 13 lacs

I will buy the Focus in about 4 years if you get the pricing right.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:59   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Fiesta hatch- 7 lacs
Fiesta sedan- 9 lacs
Focus sedan- 11 lacs
Mondeo- 13 lacs
If they discontinue the Ikon, then the Fiesta can sit just above the Figo as their entry level sedan. Ford needs to do a Figo with the new Fiesta hatch as well. This means a shock pricing of 5 lac ex-showroom for the entry level petrol.

Aggressive localization is needed for the same. Ford did it with the Figo. Lets hope they pull it off again.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:10   #188
BHPian

For the hatch : My suggestion would be, don't bring in a 1.2l petrol engine at all, let the 1.4 TDCi be offered as the lowest variant (with atleast ABS of course) and then add on top the 1.6l for petrol and diesel.

For the sedan, just stick to the 1.6s for both fuels.

I would think that the pricing of the hatch would be tough for Ford since I guess the interior would be quite similar to the sedan and they could end up in a situation like the GP and Linea where the GP interior looks cheap for a 6L hatch

OT: I remember reading somewhere that the 1.4 TDCi had a 16-valve DOHC sibling with VGT (90 bhp), but it says on Wiki that the engine does not meet Euro-4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-414

How come ?

Last edited by indivic : 17th May 2010 at 15:18.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:13   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford needs to do a Figo with the new Fiesta hatch as well. This means a shock pricing of 5 lac ex-showroom for the entry level petrol.
A 120 BHP hatch at 5L ex showroom eh? Dream on buddy. I expect the entry level Fiesta hatch to be fairly loaded as well. The top end will have all the other gizmos. I don't think there will be a middle version at all. It will sell decently at 7L ex showroom if they don't compromise on the interiors. At that price point, I don't want to see any evidence of cost cutting like in the case of Figo. The car should be loaded to the gills.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:25   #190

Test Drive on new Fiesta Hatchback

While looking for a car, I took a test drive on this new Fiesta Hatchback here in Denmark. My wife was highly impressed with the looks of the car and also the feel inside. I liked the overall look of the car. The fit and finish inside was of good quality and nice looking. I tried the diesel engine and I guess it was 75hp model. The car was good to start-off but not fast. It was the Eco model which was touted to be having a mixed-mileage of 26 Km/l. The only negative from my side was small rear passanger windows.
My two cents.
-Rahul
Old 17th May 2010, 18:03   #191
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Mustang, here's my unsolicited pricing suggestions for your future launches. Please pass them along to your Marketing division.

Fiesta hatch- 7 lacs
Fiesta sedan- 9 lacs
Focus sedan- 11 lacs
Mondeo- 13 lacs

Mondeo at 13 lacs

It compete with Vauxhall Insignia and the likes, mate. It would be priced no less than 18 lacs for the petrol & 20-22l for the diesel.

Focus can start at arond 11-12 going up to 15-16 for the topend diesel with Powershift, Come on Ford, what's holding you up.
Old 17th May 2010, 18:13   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Fiesta hatch- 7 lacs
Fiesta sedan- 9 lacs
Focus sedan- 11 lacs
Mondeo- 13 lacs

This truly is a wishlist. Mondeo will be competing with the Accord/Camry. Pricing will be beyond 18 Lakhs as OSS mentioned.

Btw, you want the Focus as your next car? How about the Mustang
Old 17th May 2010, 18:22   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mondeo at 13 lacs

It compete with Vauxhall Insignia and the likes, mate. It would be priced no less than 18 lacs for the petrol & 20-22l for the diesel.

Focus can start at arond 11-12 going up to 15-16 for the topend diesel with Powershift, Come on Ford, what's holding you up.
18L and 22L for the Mondeo is like CBU/CKD pricing and I don't think Ford will do that, especially after the earlier Mondeo disaster. If the diesel is priced between 15 to 18L, it will sell. Petrol at 13-16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Btw, you want the Focus as your next car? How about the Mustang
I don't know about you, but I will need a rear seat and boot space. Mustangs can always be rented in America.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th May 2010 at 18:27.
Old 17th May 2010, 19:13   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 120 BHP hatch at 5L ex showroom eh? Dream on buddy.
The Fiesta hatch measures 3950mm in length. As it qualifies for the excise benefit, the 1.2 petrol engine would most likely power the base variant. The entry level Polo and i20 use similar 1.2 petrols and start near the 5 lac mark. And yes, you can buy your 1.6, 120 bhp loaded-to-the-gills Fiesta hatch for 7 lac and tell us about it.
Old 17th May 2010, 22:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fiesta hatch measures 3950mm in length. As it qualifies for the excise benefit, the 1.2 petrol engine would most likely power the base variant. The entry level Polo and i20 use similar 1.2 petrols and start near the 5 lac mark. And yes, you can buy your 1.6, 120 bhp loaded-to-the-gills Fiesta hatch for 7 lac and tell us about it.
There is no way Ford will plonk a 1.2L into the Fiesta hatch. If they had been doing any such re-engineering of that sort, we would have heard of it by now. The test mules spotted near Chennai are 1.6L. The only thing going for Ford petrols is the 'fun to drive' factor. No one's going to buy them if you take that away. Even the Fiesta 1.4 petrol was killed for that reason. The Figo 1.2L sells because of its rock bottom pricing which is possible because it's nearly a decade old. The Fiesta is a brand new platform by comparison. And nope, I am not buying the 120 BHP Fiesta. I have my eye on the 140 BHP Focus as mentioned above.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th May 2010 at 23:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed