Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 23:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
arrgh!!
wasting people's precious time!
Where exactly is this RNS motors located? i know where metro cash and carry is but im not able to grasp where this place is.
The driving school is near yeshwantpur railway station. The RNS motors showroom is further down on tumkur road.

13.024236,77.549739 - Google Maps
Old 6th March 2010, 23:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
arrgh!!
wasting people's precious time!
Where exactly is this RNS motors located? i know where metro cash and carry is but im not able to grasp where this place is.
If you're coming from WOC road/Rajajinagar, You'll have to take the right deviated road(after mysore sandal factory)>take a weird U turn> proceed straight and you will see Metro c&c on your right, But to go to the driving school, you'll have to go left, Get on to the main road, Take the first U turn and you'll find an abandoned petrol pump, That's where the driving school is, Right in front of YPR railway station!
Old 7th March 2010, 09:36   #78

I attended the simulator test yesterday 3pm slot in Chennai, but i dont want to disclose the MDS name.

I'd suggest you people to not waste your time attending this foolish test, this is just a eyewash. The guys in the centre were least bothered to test the driving skills. There was no one inspecting me when i took the so called simulator test.

They were only keen on asking me to bribe them 500 rupees for promoting me to the 3rd round in delhi. They kept on claiming that these are the people who determine the score and if you give 500 rupees you will be awarded maximum points and you could go to Delhi and stay in 3* accommodation etc. etc

He had asked me to decide and come today regarding this. God save India!
Old 7th March 2010, 12:21   #79
Senior - BHPian

You should tell the name of this MDS so at least others can try their luck elsewhere
Old 7th March 2010, 12:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

judging by the posts this thread and the simulator not working in my center period.
i think i will give this a pass.
obviously the organizers are incompetent and allow such non sense to happen in the selection process.
500 bucks to help you get to round 2? lol what if someone says "No" obviously he will get a lower score.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:44   #81
Senior - BHPian

After seeing all these posts, i feel that going for the 2nd round is just a waste of time. I am also giving this thing a pass.
Old 7th March 2010, 14:26   #82
BHPian

Just gave the simulator and practical tests at the center in Delhi. The simulator is an absolute piece of crap. The road signs are barely visible until you drive past them. The clutch is feather light and the engine needs to be revved like mad to keep up the acceleration. The practical driving test was a much better affair and I was assigned a thoroughly beaten up Estilo as my test car. The examiner asked me to check the level of oil, tire pressure and the condition of the hazard lights. I had one mistake according to the examiner - I drove too fast while reversing into the parallel parking slot. WTH is that?

Last edited by khan75 : 7th March 2010 at 14:27.
Old 7th March 2010, 15:08   #83
BHPian

just back from the venue. Simulator machine is a joke. Super hard brake pedal, feather light accelerator pedal, gear shift lever will break with the slightest of effort.
The parallel parking test was okay. Examiner asked several questions about the daily maintainance of the car. What's funny was that i parallel parked the car in a single go, whereas the examiner had to reverse a few times.!!
Old 7th March 2010, 18:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Just gave the simulator and practical tests at the center in Delhi. The simulator is an absolute piece of crap. The road signs are barely visible until you drive past them. The clutch is feather light and the engine needs to be revved like mad to keep up the acceleration. The practical driving test was a much better affair and I was assigned a thoroughly beaten up Estilo as my test car. The examiner asked me to check the level of oil, tire pressure and the condition of the hazard lights. I had one mistake according to the examiner - I drove too fast while reversing into the parallel parking slot. WTH is that?
Is this the CR Park center ? , how do you manually check the tyre pressure without a gauge ?
Old 7th March 2010, 21:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Went to RNS Yeshwanthpur at 2pm. As expected the simulator was not working, so they asked me to go to Bimal MDS at Indira nagar. So went there for the test.

There were a few people already waiting for the test. We had to wait for a good 45 minutes or so for the test. There were two simulators. I was asked to practice in one of them for some time. The clutch was light and the gearstick was lose. It didn't feel real at all in terms of the feedback from steering or the pedals.

For the actual test the instructor asked me to use the other simulator. The clutch and gearstick in this was exactly opposite. Clutch hard as a brick, and the gearstick needed a lot of effort to slot the right gear.

The test went OK. I didn't bang any other vehicle and the jaywalking lady
For the practical test, instructor gave me a swift dzire, asked me to drive it, couple of u-turns and then a parallel parking between two cars.

There was one more guy who took the test after me. I don't know how he managed to clear the first round! This guy must have mistaken the simulator for a Sony PS3 gaming station. I didn't see him using brakes, he did couple of 360 degree turns in middle of the road and was driving mostly on footpaths and lawns instead of roads. I hope he doesn't drive like that in real roads.

Overall, i think the initiative from the Autocar is good, but the implementation at individual test centers is not in same level everywhere.
Old 8th March 2010, 09:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
Is this the CR Park center ? , how do you manually check the tyre pressure without a gauge ?
Yep.
The guy had a tire pressure gauge on the back seat. He probably wanted to see if the contestants knew how to read a gauge correctly.

A friend of mine gave the test later in the day on a Wagon R. According to him, I had it easy with the Estilo as the WagonR's clutch was broken.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

I gave the test at Bimal in Indiranagar (Bangalore). Simulator was hard to get used to, and the evaluator gave me only two minutes to practice. Then 3 minutes of test. Then road test too. 3 of us were given a Dzire DDiS and made to drive through the city traffic for a while and then inside residential areas. Later the evaluator gave a test of parallel parking, after marking the parking spot with cones. I was the first to drive the car and do parallel parking. Later the other 2 guys with me were made to drive in the residential area. They were honking at every intersection, so I got very irritated (I rarely honk on main roads, and never in residential areas, and if someone honks at me more than once for no reason, I get my window glass down and give a vulgar finger sign), so I commented about it. I am sure the evaluator gave me negative points for that :-D
Old 8th March 2010, 14:16   #88
kkg
BHPian

I gave my second round test today at Sahwney Automobiles Rohini. The place was nothing to write home about.I expected some rush of people but was surprised that i was the only one there for the test, another guy joined me later. Both the instructors were guys in their mid 20s and were going by so called " as Maruti has Told Us" every now and then.

The simulator test went fine as per me although the brake was non responsive and the real world scenario was like Dream roads (very wide and less traffic). I drove within the speed limits and followed all the signs i could but goofed up at the end.

As for the practical, we were taken to a remote lane for parallel parking test. All cones were placed as per the measurements as per Maruti and the guys took a lot of time doing that. I was told to park the car which i did in reasonably good time and bang in the middle, the other guy couldn't do it. But later i was told that i left too much space between the car and the kerb.

Later i got in argument with the instructors about what one should do in the car for the first time in the morning. I told them to check the tyres, Check underneath and lights as well and when inside check for all the controls and the lights in the IP cluster. They said you didn't open the bonnet and checked the battery, engine oil ,coolant etc. I told them nobody does that daily( i do it once in a week or if some abnormal sound is coming from the engine bay) and i trust the lights on my car's panel but they disagreed and when i asked them do they do it themselves On DAILY basis, how could they said NO, they were instructors after all so what if they Didn't put their belts on, so what if they drove on the wrong side while coming back, so what If they stalled the car. And i made sure to point these things .
At the end of the day i realized:

1: Even the instructors don't follow what they teach.
2: Maruti Estilo is a Very medicore car.
3: I won't make it to the third round.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:21   #89
BHPian

I gave the test at CR Park to the most disinterested bunch of people, had an afternoon appointment , reached half an hour before time, test didnt begin till half an hour after it, that too after I told the Autocar guy to push these folks.

The person taking the simulator test was good and nice, but the simulator is a super expensive junk machine. Stupid machine kept giving lane change errors when there were none, often I would ask the instructor what these meant and most of the times, he was blank. Anyway, I also stalled the car once in the test. The simulator had a car flying over the footpath. Now thats real life for you. No lady crossing the road though, was missing her.

Now onto the practical, this was taken by an instructor who seemed frustrated with life. First they took me to a car which was narrowly parked in between 2 cars and had a car perpendicular to the back just to ensure reversing is a pain in the you know what. Did the reverse perfectly and entered a residential lane ahead.

In the residential lane , was asked to parrallel park, which too i did perfectly, although there was a lot of space in between the 2 cars (1.75 cars worth). Now is the classic part, the car suddenly dies and the instructor marks it in the notes.

I crank it, no effect, crank again, accelerator to the floor, no effect. Try after 10 seconds and it finally lives. The isntructor looks at me as if I drained the battery or something in 2 minutes of driving with alternator on :P

Then as I am used to hydraulic brakes of my Maruti 800, the power brakes on Estilo were pretty hard, I made a joke about how the brakes work good. To this, the instructor rudely and angrily told me to move out fast (there was a car approaching, but the instructor insisted and i moved out). I understood the instructor was pissed off with me and wouldnt select me.

Then while driving I hear the Instructor say tch tch, I wonder what the problem is, apparently "27 ki speed pe 3rd gear is not done". I told the instructor I trust the sound of the engine and car feedback to change the speed (is it possible to look into the speedo all the time during driving) and the car was moving perfectly without a hint of jerking. Anyway, i do the downshift for satisfaction and hear the engine overrev at the speed and engine braking happening. Would have loved to look at the instructor but didnt want to be marked for distraction.

The viva was also stupid, what will you check in the car before going out ?

I named a large number of things including tyre pressure, engine oil, brake oil, all lights etc. Nothing to the instructor's satisfaction.

No chance of making it to the 3rd round, wont be surprised if the instructor marked me as an idiot.

Sorry for the double post mods, please merge with previous if possible.

I forgot to mention that the Autocar guy told me that they have called almost everyone to the simulator round. He said everyone, I added almost.

Also, after my test I saw a person with score 58 with his name on the sheets scheduled for later in the day. Even the person after me was banging the car here and there in the simulator. Had no car control (rotated the steering like crazy) and yes, he had come on a bike , probably joined the contest because he got an ad to do it.

So yes, it IS a big publicity stunt.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2010 at 10:09. Reason: Merging
Old 8th March 2010, 16:16   #90
BHPian

I gave my test at kataria automobiles, Ahmedabad.

Instructor was really helpful, but simulator was stupid. Signs were so small that I seen them sometimes only after passing through it.

Was asked to parallel park an alto in practicals.

Most Viewed