Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 22:59   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat - 10,000 bookings in just 24 days!

Is it too good to be true?
If it's true, GM might have cracked the code in this segment!
They have done all the things right and can really call the shots by launching Beat Diesel (which I confirmed with a dealer, it's coming within next 6 months) and pricing it aggressively.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:07   #2
BHPian

10,000 cars seems to be too good to be true! Good for GM if it is. I am not sure how the production would be geared to clear this kind of a booking number. Any idea about the waiting period committed to customers?
Before I narrowed down to my recent purchase of the Fiesta, I had visited the Chevy dealer and test driven the Beat. Casual conversation indicated a 3 week delivery by the dealer.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:28   #3
BHPian

thats good news! More success of different manufacturers means less monopoly, more competitive prices, better deals.
Old 7th February 2010, 23:48   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Wow... That is great going.

Does General Motors offer the same 3 years maintenance free plan for Beat as they have been offering for Spark?
Old 7th February 2010, 23:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Wow... That is great going.

Does General Motors offer the same 3 years maintenance free plan for Beat as they have been offering for Spark?
Sadly not! I had specifically asked Sundaram GM @ BLR and they said that the scheme does not apply for the Beat.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:31   #6
BHPian

If the numbers are true, then I suppose GM has done it at last and its no surprise because everything about the Beat was just right be it the styling,equipment or price.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:38   #7
BHPian

Good for General Motors.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

...and well deserved, too. I've been a Chevy fan for a while now, and according to me they deserve some success. Especially with the Beat and Cruze. The Beat is my fav hatch right now, especially after years and years of getting SICK of car manufacturers who seduce with concepts and then dole out production versions which look like crap.
Old 8th February 2010, 02:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
...and well deserved, too. I've been a Chevy fan for a while now, and according to me they deserve some success. Especially with the Beat and Cruze. The Beat is my fav hatch right now, especially after years and years of getting SICK of car manufacturers who seduce with concepts and then dole out production versions which look like crap.
Quite true, have to agree with you. Many manufacturers showcase the concepts in the Autoshows, and bring in bland looking cars when they actually launch it. The Beat looks good, seen it in flesh; the interiors are just great. But i personally didn't like the rear end. It looked tiny. Didn't do justice with the macho-looking front.
Old 8th February 2010, 06:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

The flipside is that they could have priced it a little higher and shown a better ROI.
Old 8th February 2010, 08:31   #11
BHPian

The only bad thing IMO is that GM India's operations are now 50% owned by Chinese firm SIAC. Hope this does not entice them to bring a whole load of cheap Chinese cars with poor safety records.
It surprises me why GM would sell 50% of their shares in the company. They should have rather setup a separate company which partner with the Chinese to bring in the commercial vehicles to rival cars like the Ecko & Ace.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Sadly not! I had specifically asked Sundaram GM @ BLR and they said that the scheme does not apply for the Beat.
Surprising. I remember reading in paper that the 3 yrs cashless offer is across all Chevy brands.

Did they went back their statement after seeing the good response of Beat? if so, not a good sign.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The flipside is that they could have priced it a little higher and shown a better ROI.
You are *assuming* that they would have been able to sell 10k Beat's in 24 days at a higher price.

Imho the pricing is the factor for this gold rush that Beat has generated. Had GM pricecd the car at 4 lakhs, it wouldnt have many takers. After having driven the car, I find it best car at its price, but price it 20k upwards and it becomes dangerously close to Ritz/Swift and likes. And it would find it tough to survive in that segment given the fact that the K-Series is miles ahead of GM's 1.2 doing rounds in Beat and that Beat is very small boot wise/clausterphobic at the back.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Surprising. I remember reading in paper that the 3 yrs cashless offer is across all Chevy brands.

Did they went back their statement after seeing the good response of Beat? if so, not a good sign.
There are apparently two offers. The 3 yrs/100000kms warranty package - this is across all Chevy cars- and is there for the BEAT as well.

The second is the maintenance free program - where your maintenance expense for 3yrs is guaranteed to be Rs 12k or something - and this was there only for the Spark and isn't there for the BEAT.

And yes, the news of 10000 bookings in 24 days is true - I've seen this in Times of India, and Deccan Chronicle here at Hyderabad
Old 8th February 2010, 09:50   #15
BHPian

Good for the hatchback wars !
If this trend continues the different car manufacturing companies will have to keep bringing in new deals to keep up with the market. Good signs for the customer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks