Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 15:45   #16
BHPian

I have observed that wherever cars are washed on the road side, there are more pot holes in the area.

Stagnant water damages the road, and probabaly wasting water in a city where there is little water left.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:56   #17
BHPian

Whoa man that is huge... 1 Grand for washing your car. I guess its a practice to keep users from maintaining their vehicles better than BMCs. :-)
Old 8th February 2010, 15:57   #18
kkg
BHPian

One thing i fail to understand if a regular car wash walla washes a car with half a bucket of water and makes money in that process,what's wrong in that? I don't think that half a bucket damages road and can be called WATER WASTAGE.( We use flush tens of times a day, then what is that??)

Secondly people making these laws have dedicated car porches in there acres sprawling Govt. bunglows where their duty bound servants do these chores daily to their fleets of cars.Where is the common man like me and you who want to see our cars just clean are supposed to go??
Old 8th February 2010, 16:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

I wish they could extend this rule to all states & every vehicle in this country
Old 8th February 2010, 16:03   #20
BHPian

God knows when the BMP is going to bring such a rule here in Bangalore. Its a hopeless scenario when parking space is tight in our metros.
The local car washing guys are in for a tighter budget.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is a wrong move IMHO. This is of no use when we have roads that have water accumulated on the road. Is there any law that if car gets dirty during rainy season due to water accumulated on the road then one would get Rs. 2000/- from municipal corporation ? Why not if they can put up a charge of Rs. 1K just for washing cars.

The smallest of the lanes must be designed well to drain the water out. Is this done ? Where can we see urban planning ?

I agree that the water does cause inconvenience and eventually leads to potholes, but what can the car owners do ?

What I mean to say is that " Provide a viable solution first before putting up such rules ".
Old 8th February 2010, 16:38   #22
m4w

what we need is this

Car wash area in every apartment complex/block/whatever. I'd be interested to know if any builder in India is offering this facility in their damned apartment towers. Oh, who am I kidding, most of these towers don't even have fire/emergency systems in place.

http://www.realestateholdings.com/Ci...ay/carwash.jpg
Old 8th February 2010, 16:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

well, all this is just a facade - govt. puts up such rules so that the pockets of our dear "netas", who we have elected, can be filled.

in Bangalore, it is a tradition of sorts to encroach public road when you've a event at your home. they just put up the tent and put stones on either side of it to block vehicles. Indians as we are, we just find another way around. i've seen people blocking public road for their own use for days together and nobody questions them! why, you ask - coz they would have paid under the table at the local police station.

apna pocket filling is the name of the game
Old 8th February 2010, 17:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

well, all this is just a facade - govt. puts up such rules so that the pockets of our dear "netas", who we have elected, can be filled.

in Bangalore, it is a tradition of sorts to encroach public road when you've a event at your home. they just put up the tent and put stones on either side of it to block vehicles. Indians as we are, we just find another way around. i've seen people blocking public road for their own use for days together and nobody questions them! why, you ask - coz they would have paid under the table at the local police station.

apna pocket filling is the name of the game
True, this practice irritates the already congested Bangalore lanes. Coming back to washing of cars, majority of tenants in Bangalore parks car outside. Cleaning of the car once in a week with one/ two buckets of water also gives a small workout to body . It also saves time since on weekends it can be noticed that the washing stations are crowded. This should not be looked as a public offence and fined because public is already offended without parking places.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Stagnant water damages the road, and probabaly wasting water in a city where there is little water left.
When the rains come most of the roads is under water. Wonder how much fine would be levied during those rainy days.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

What happens if the car is washed in a portico/inside compound but the water cascades downstream onto the street and collects in a scenic pool ?!
Old 9th February 2010, 14:48   #27
BHPian

Crazy rule. As for the water cascading to the street, i guess they will have water forensic investigators to catch the culprits! And i believe all the car washers who have been made redundant will be on top of the hiring committee!
Old 9th February 2010, 15:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

The idea behind it is supposed to be to curb littering. But wait a minute. Even if you wash your car inside your compound, the water will eventually reach the same ditch. Finally, the litter still ends up in the same place. And on top of that, I can't really agree that dust/mud which is what most cars are covered with counts as litter.

If this about water wastage, then the government has no right at all on the matter. I pay for the damn water and I have every right to use it to wash my car. Its ridiculous to say that cars should only be washed with one bucket or anything like that.

All in all, it just goes to show what a bunch of fools make the decisions. May they rot in the unwashed depths of hell.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well, this new rule is asking a bigger question. That of affordability.

How many can afford a house with parking space, at today's real estate rates in cities? There are building laws, but those are practiced more in violation, and later the authorities "regularize" the violations.

Thus, we see lot of houses which do not have parking inside. But the owners still have/buy vehicles and park on the road. Isn't this itself a violation of rules? Why fine for washing on the road, when parking on the road itself is an issue?

BTW, using a car duster should serve the purpose I think, on most of the days.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:03   #30
BHPian

This rule should apply in every city. There should be MUCH bigger fine for washing cars with hoses, especially in cities with water shortage. Even jail or seizure and destruction of car is appropriate. I see my some folks in my neighborhood doing it and feel so angry when people queue up 1 hour for a pot of water in same city.

Owning car is not a fundamental right - it is a right that comes with responsibilities towards other citizens who may or may not have cars. We just dump our s..t on others and expect them to pick it up.

I agree similar things like slum dwellers using streets as public toilet etc., is also wrong and needs curbing but car owners are educated, wealthy and should know better.

Why are you not punishing x, y and z is a good argument on a forum like this but not in front of legal authorities. Everyone wants to be the last one to be punished.

Let us not come up with too clever by half arguments on such matters and show that we are no different from uneducated people that dont care for anyone

Last edited by Traxter : 9th February 2010 at 16:07.

Most Viewed