Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:31   #226
BHPian

Does anyone know the likely engine in the Etios Sedan? Will it have a diesel option?
We've currently booked the VW Vento but would like to consider a Toyota car (petrol or diesel) as long as it has comparable performance to Vento/ANHC. Is that likely considering that Altis is underpowered? TIA!
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:47   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Does anyone know the likely engine in the Etios Sedan? Will it have a diesel option?
We've currently booked the VW Vento but would like to consider a Toyota car (petrol or diesel) as long as it has comparable performance to Vento/ANHC. Is that likely considering that Altis is underpowered? TIA!
I think the Etios is a segment below the ANHC and Vento. It will rival the likes of the Fiesta,Logan,aveo,etc. I highly doubt the performance will beat the ANHC.
Old 2nd October 2010, 02:53   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think the Etios is a segment below the ANHC and Vento. It will rival the likes of the Fiesta,Logan,aveo,etc. I highly doubt the performance will beat the ANHC.
Thank you. Then we will probably go ahead with the VW Vento.
We had almost decided to purchase the city and were finalizing the finances. That same day, we took a test drive of the Vento TDI and found the engine (surprisingly) to be even more peppier, despite the fact that it is a diesel.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:06   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

The Etios sedan is speculated to come with the 1.5 litre vvti engine producing around 105 BHP and the same diesel engine as the Corolla. However the diesel will come in at a much later stage probably a year later.

The Etios hatch will come with the 1.2 Litre VVti engine with around 75BHP, may be slightly detuned for fuel efficiency. Heard no news about the diesel variant for the hatch, though it may come much later than a year after launch.

OT: With 70K initial production capacity, I wonder will the Etios end up like Fortuner with a long waiting period. A thing to ponder over
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:57   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

If the Etios sedan will be having the same diesel engine as the corolla(albeit with less turbo lag), it would be hot choice indeed. 6 speed box,90BHP and amazing FE, given that the corolla has 21km/l ARAI figure and the lighter Etios will better it along with improved performance.
P.S- Maybe they will nuck of the 6 speed for a traditional 5 speed.
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:26   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
If the Etios sedan will be having the same diesel engine as the corolla(albeit with less turbo lag), it would be hot choice indeed. 6 speed box,90BHP and amazing FE, given that the corolla has 21km/l ARAI figure and the lighter Etios will better it along with improved performance.
Add to that, Toyota's reliability, and competition will be mud.

Bye-Bye Dzire,Manza,Logan,Fiesta and Aveo (you still there?)
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:37   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Do you have any solid confirmation on the diesel engines? The last time I had read the details given out by the company [posted in one of the previous threads] , they are not talking about any diesel engines now. They are only talking of the petrols. I am sure there will be quite a waiting list with petrol alone. They might wait and see the trend before bringing in the diesel -- obviously the 1.4D-4D used in Corolla and we well used in the hatch as well as sedan.
Old 2nd October 2010, 14:10   #233
Senior - BHPian

Initally Toyota will launch the petrol version of Etios hatch/sedan, based on the initial consumer response they will strategically bring in the diesel and gas based models subsequently.
Lets hope there will be no or low waiting period
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:51   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do you have any solid confirmation on the diesel engines? The last time I had read the details given out by the company [posted in one of the previous threads] , they are not talking about any diesel engines now. They are only talking of the petrols. I am sure there will be quite a waiting list with petrol alone. They might wait and see the trend before bringing in the diesel -- obviously the 1.4D-4D used in Corolla and we well used in the hatch as well as sedan.
I don't have any solid info mate, the only info i got is from this thread, also it's widely said that the petrol will launch first, then the diesel from the corolla but the tuning of the engine may differ.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:20   #235
BHPian

According to ACI Oct'10 edition

- Sedan in Dec'10 and hatch by Mar'11

- the Etios hatch is expected to be even lighter than the Micra - by around 30 kgs and the rest of the competition by 100kgs.

- F.E is given top priority

- The 1.2 petrol in the hatch will make 68 bhp ( yes, I checked twice )and the 1.5 petrol in the sedan will make 95 bhp (twin cam, 16 valve)

- Diesel option w will be the same engine as in Corolla, but no news about the transmission

- There are 4 variants expected from absolutely bare basic ( no PS) to top end

Last edited by indivic : 3rd October 2010 at 09:27.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:50   #236
BHPian

Got a letter & a gift from TOYOTA for online registering!

Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-image439.jpg

Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-image437.jpg

Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-image436.jpg
Old 6th October 2010, 21:11   #237
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is going all out for the launches. Surely the two cars will be a huge success.
I am eagerly awaiting the launch of the etios sedan with the diesel powerplant.
Old 6th October 2010, 21:12   #238
Senior - BHPian

I am eagerly waiting to see the 1.4 D-4d Etios in flesh. It surely has the specs along with the mandatory brand name to be the best seller sedan in India. If priced correctly it can easily trounce even the segment leaders because it sure does seem to have all the ingredients to catapult Toyota into Maruti/Hyundai territory as far as sales numbers are concerned.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:20   #239
BANNED

Toyota has announced that the Ethios sedan will be launched on Dec 1st and the hatch will be somewhere in 1 st quarter of 2011.

But every thing depends on the pricing as the car looks almost like the Logan.Personally i didnt like the dash ,it looks plain and think vista has a better dash.
Old 28th November 2010, 19:35   #240
BHPian

Toyota etios could be a competitor for Vento in the sense that it could have a good engine, as much space, better reliability and refinement and much better A.S.S. If it could do all this at a price lesser than vento don't see why anybody should buy a vento.

Unless it is for the same reason that a lot of people buy the polo 3 cylinders now snob value.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks