Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 08:35   #76
BHPian

Please check The ETIOS is on its way...

The Etios is travelling across cities for a road show sort of a thing.
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:31   #77
BHPian

Toyota has really lost the plot when it comes to cars these days. Toyota's have always been boring cars and the Etios is no different. It looks seriously bland for a premium hatch (the Polo look nice and fresh, not to mention the entry-level Beat). Those pics prove that it's not gonna be a spacious car either (Indica Vista still rules).

Suzuki still rules as far as the hatch market goes in India. They make good-looking (A-Star not included), VFM cars that have a nice feature list and of course a good A.S.S. record. In Japan, Toyota, Honda and Suzuki are budget brands and not premium brands. Only Suzuki seems to reflect this fact in India.
Toyota and Honda are pseudo up-market brands selling cheap cars at high prices. I mean, even VW is selling a more VFM premium hatch.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:29   #78
BHPian

Toyota plans 7 seater MPV based on etios in 2011

Toyota plans 7 seater MPV based on etios in 2011 | autoten.com
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:38   #79
BHPian

I saw a golden Prius today at Juhu at 9.00 am Registered with the bombay plate. With Hybrid Badge. The car looked so dam different.
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

I am now getting to understand the ethios concept.
Toyota's target is mentioned as swift/dzire twins.
Price will be in the same ballpark, as claimed by TKML in some Indian automobile blogs (search for it and you will get the quote), and the company is claiming to be "15 percent more fuel efficient" than the aforementioned competition.

Like Toyota targeted Tata Sumo with its horrible looking qualis in 2000 and knocked off its perch from bestselling status, it seems that Toyota is poised to knock the swift/dzire stratght of their perches when these cars get launched this late fall season.

The big questions:
  • how will maruti react?
  • can the ethios dent the maruti's profit making model lines?
  • how will the Indian public, read aam janta react to it?
  • price and reliability and TCO?
I am eagerly looking forward to the answers and seems that the ethios VS swift/dzire battle will be a swift fight that I will surely keeping an eye on with great dzire.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:01   #81
BHPian

@SID: It may seem plausable to think about Etios concept being in direct competition to Swift/Dzire, it would take a while before the numbers stack up. While, Swift family is selling around 15k/mth or 170-180k units/annum, TKM is initially planning with a capacity of 70k/annum only which in any case is looking very miniscule considering the kind of response it's likely to generate when the cars are launched.

I can see a huge rush for the legendery 'Toyota Small Car' as there are lot like me who are looking to book the car as soon as it's launched.

Toyota better brace up for bigger volumes quicky else it would be a repeat of what's happening with Fortuner.
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Toyota's target is mentioned as swift/dzire twins.
Price will be in the same ballpark
It would be great if Toyota manage to do that. I think there are more chances of the Etios hatch matching the price of Swift than the sedan matching that of Dzire. But the drawback for Etios is unexciting looks & interiors and to make things worse the Next Gen Swift MIGHT hit our shores in 2011. The only exciting thing to me would be the price and the 1.4 diesel.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like Toyota targeted Tata Sumo with its horrible looking qualis in 2000 and knocked off its perch from bestselling status, it seems that Toyota is poised to knock the swift/dzire stratght of their perches when these cars get launched this late fall season.
Back then Tata Sumo was an upcoming product in terms of refinement, quality and reliability and is still trying to achieve these 3 things. It was easier for a product like Qualis to knock it off. However to bite into Swift/Dzire's share will be a stiff task for Toyota. Going by pics, Toyota should be able to put Etios hatch lower then Ritz price wise and Etios sedan lower then Dzire. Both these products looks cheap from outside and even cheaper inside.

With spiced up Swift round the corner, Maruti should not be worried about Etios cause people who want to buy a Toyota will anyways buy it and the majority will be still with Maruti!!!

The case would have been different if Toyota had a product like say Figo or Polo to take on Swift/Dzire.

It would be interesting to see sales figures for B and B+ segment cars after Toyota launches Etios and Nissan its Micra and and again after Maruti launching New Swift

I hope that the better "product" will win.

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd April 2010 at 19:16.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainogkok View Post
Toyota plans 7 seater MPV based on etios in 2011

Toyota plans 7 seater MPV based on etios in 2011 | autoten.com
Dont believe them until and unless they really bring in the market. Same thing happens for AVANZA. They supposed to launch this model but never turned out.
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:52   #85
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it seems that Toyota is poised to knock the swift/dzire stratght of their perches when these cars get launched this late fall season.

The big questions:
  • how will maruti react?
  • can the ethios dent the maruti's profit making model lines?
  • how will the Indian public, read aam janta react to it?
  • price and reliability and TCO?
I am eagerly looking forward to the answers and seems that the ethios VS swift/dzire battle will be a swift fight that I will surely keeping an eye on with great dzire.
Maruti isn't going to sit with its hands tied behind the back. Remember, the Swift & Dzire are among MUL's most profitable cars. The Swift is now getting long in the tooth, and spy pictures of an all-new generation have already started appearing on the forum. By the time the Etios is launched, the next-generation of Swift and Dzire would have already been introduced (or about to).

Toyota's biggest challenge will be meeting / beating Maruti's cost structure. Not impossible, as the Chevy Beat & Ford Figo have recently demonstrated, but still tough for other Japs to replicate (as the Honda Jazz has demonstrated).

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2010 at 17:54.
Old 3rd April 2010, 18:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

The best thing about the Etios is the fact that rather than adapt a model for sale in India this car has been designed with India in mind. Hopefully this will mean that the car will be sensibly priced along with being spacious.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:06   #87
BHPian

to me, the hatch itself is boring, let alone sedan.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

I spotted both these cars, the Etios hatch and sedan in the same guise in Chennai today. They just popped up in the opposite direction on a bridge else i would have clicked pics. The sedan looks very much like a modern version of a Logan but the hatch looked quite nice on the road.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:25   #89
BANNED

wow man! TOYOTA testing its small car in punjab! can't understand the logic behind. I guess Punjab is mad after diesels and they might be testing it here to get to know the roads and the ultimate heat that is scorching now a days.
coz punjab is one of the most hottest areas of india...

Plus that road is the NH1 near Sahnewal prob'ly
Old 4th April 2010, 09:29   #90
BANNED

also, in the Ist pic, I see the Petrol Pump where the INDO CANADIAN bus halts (and the bus too). Near the Sherpur Byepass, Appollo Hospital. Man! I'm dumbstruck to see the spy pics of a car being tested in punjab!

@Monty, Great Job virre!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed