Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:33   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The Boot integration on the Hatch is much much better than that of the Manza or the Dzire.
IMO Toyota designed the sedan and then thought of the hatch where as in Vista/Swift it was hatch first and then added boot to make a sedan hence the boot job looks out of place.

Look at Etios hatch, it looks like a sedan with boot chopped off.

Last edited by HammerHead : 2nd June 2010 at 14:36.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:39   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanjayrao View Post
Yesterday on my way back to Bangalore from Mangalore I spotted both the new cars from Toyota, the new hatch back and the sedan in Shiradi ghat. I guess they were testing these in the ghat section. They were going towads Mangalore and I spotted them just after Gundiya. I guess Toyota is testing them rigorously in all terrains

Sorry guys, could not click any pictures
Saw the Etios hatch in Udupi on Saturday. Didnt see the sedan. Looks like they wanted to taste the monsoon as well.
Sorry, no pictures. I was on the opposite side. By the time, I turned and went behind, he had already disappeared.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Saw the Etios hatch in Udupi on Saturday. Didnt see the sedan. Looks like they wanted to taste the monsoon as well.
Sorry, no pictures. I was on the opposite side. By the time, I turned and went behind, he had already disappeared.
... means that the car is a reasonably good performer.

with you & all that Etios is a looker (sort of bland & tasteless). But, with expected prices in Verna territory (Toyota are determined to bring doen prices to Hyundai levels, i.e. lower by 30%), it would be in great demand.

BTW, Toyota have strength in inner space management, ride comfort, FE & no doubt the reliability will be on the higher side as compared to US Toyotas.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:40   #139

No Frills would be fine with the Toyta badge, It would be worth watching the price game that Etios plays and that would matter the most
Old 6th July 2010, 15:56   #140
Senior - BHPian

The front is very agressive but looks disproportionate and boxy from the rear, similar to a Logan.

Going by the Vento launch it seems both cars will run for the slice of the pie by the end of this year.

But Vento definately scores in the looks department.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:10   #141
BHPian

I used to work for Toyota on site and they had huge plans for ETIOS. Volume of sales expected was great and hence they were replacing their legacy systems just to gear up for ETIOS sales.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
I used to work for Toyota on site and they had huge plans for ETIOS. Volume of sales expected was great and hence they were replacing their legacy systems just to gear up for ETIOS sales.
Lets hope they go right with the quality this time.

Quoting Mint (01-Jul-10):

"The automaker has been working to patch up its reputation after recalling more than 8 million vehicles worldwide because of unintended acceleration and other defects

Tokyo: Toyota Motor Corp. said on 1 July about 270,000 cars sold worldwide including luxury Lexus sedans have faulty engines.

Of the 270,000 vehicles with engine problems, some 180,000 were sold overseas and the rest in Japan"
Old 11th July 2010, 21:18   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The front is very agressive but looks disproportionate and boxy from the rear, similar to a Logan.

Going by the Vento launch it seems both cars will run for the slice of the pie by the end of this year.

But Vento definately scores in the looks department.
  • Etios competition = Dzire/ Manza
  • Vento competition = ANHC/ Verna
Definitely, Etios is going to pull more customers even if the looks are compromised!
Old 12th July 2010, 13:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Definitely, Etios is going to pull more customers even if the looks are compromised!
I feel that Etios will compete with cars in both these segments, & rather lets not confine it to one segment only.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:19   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
You may be right on this one since Toyota may like to venture into the volumes game now, given their dealer strength and the brancd name in India.

VW is still a small player more into the upper segment (except the Polo now, which takes eons to be delivered)
Old 21st July 2010, 08:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

I think that Toyota has made it clear that the hatch will come with 1.2 ltr. petrol engine and Sedan will be coming with 1.5 ltr. petrol engine. Today when I was on Toyota website for the Altis diesel ( that is supposed to be launched today ), I figured out that they had something marked specs for hatch and sedan in the little flash. A diesel unit is not mentioned. I wonder how the hatch will fight Swift and i20. Again the Sedan will have tough time as most of the cars are available with diesel. If they are targetting Swift Dzire and Manza, Toyota will have tough time beating them. One level above, may be they will get success, but IMO at that price level ( one level above Swift Dzire/Tata Manza ), the interiors will have to be better than in hatch.

I am uploading both images.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-toyota-etios-hatch.jpg  

Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-toyota-etios-sedan.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 21st July 2010 at 08:12.
Old 24th July 2010, 14:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Etios is coming in December.

Source : Toyota to roll out small car 'Etios' in December

Article :

Quote:
Toyota to roll out small car 'Etios' in December
MUMBAI: Japanese automobile major Toyota will launch its new small car 'Etios' in December this year and sales will begin in January next year, a top company official said.

"We are setting up a new facility for our new car, 'Etios', which will be completed soon and the production will start a little ahead of December. We will launch the car in December and the sales will start in January next year," Toyota Kirloskar Motor Private Ltd Deputy Managing Director Sandeep Singh told reporters here on the sidelines of a boot camp conducted for owners of its Fortuner SUV on the outskirts of Mumbai.

The company has invested Rs 3,200 crore to set up a new facility for production of the small car, with an initial capacity of 70,000 cars per annum, he said, adding that the company has utilised internal accruals for the investment.

The capacity of the new facility can be extended up to 2,00,000 cars per annum in two years. The company will produce 65,000-70,000 cars in the first year, he said.

The price of the new car will be above Rs 5 lakh. The company is looking for local components suppliers for the new car, he said.

Toyota is looking at exporting the small car from India to various overseas markets, which is likely to start within the next two years, Singh said.

The company is, at present, using the full capacity of its existing plant, with an output of 73,000 vehicles per annum. Next year, it will go up to 80,000, he said.

Innova is Toyota's best selling vehicle, with 48,000 units sold every annum, followed by Altis with 13,000 and Fortuner with 9,000, he said.
If the price of base Etios is above Rs. 5 lakh, Toyota will lose sales to others, specially Swift.
Old 24th July 2010, 15:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If the price of base Etios is above Rs. 5 lakh, Toyota will lose sales to others, specially Swift.
I do not think so. At INR 5 lacs (ex-showroom) it will be only costiler than the Hyundai (initially), still cheaper than Honda. This pricing can bring herds of people looking for premium hatch to Toyota (image/brand) from even Honda's showroom.

With Toyota's aim of bringing the sale price of cars to Hyundai levels, I think not much sales will be lost to Swift or any other competitor. Swift sales will not suffer, especially with the new Swift expected soon, but the Indian car market is big enough to cater to supply of both the cars.

Still I have doubts with Toyota's installed capacity to meet the demand surge with Corolla Diesel, & the Etios versions, & also fear that the A.S.S. experience could only go bad with the kind of work pressure on A.S.S. guys.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:51   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Source : Toyota to roll out small car 'Etios' in December

Article :

More likely it'll have people getting second thoughts about buying a swift when a "Toyota" is available at this price range.

Last edited by Arun1 : 24th July 2010 at 23:54. Reason: Typos
Old 31st July 2010, 23:57   #150
Senior - BHPian

Some more spy pics of the Etios sedan

[Source: ]Spied: Toyota Etios Sedan
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop Pics of Toyota Etios-etios.jpg  

Attached Images

Closed Thread

Most Viewed