Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one has the upper hand as far as overall appeal is concerned ?
BMW 530D (f10) 107 65.64%
MERCEDES E350 CDI (w212) 56 34.36%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 21:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
The Merc's just plain ughhly.

My sentiments exact ! :P ( especially about the silly rear )
Old 11th February 2010, 08:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Here's something for the perfect visual comparison. Whenever Audi comes into the fray, the already intense battle gets only more intense.Like it that way,dont we?
Am putting up 3 pics, 1 of each of the 3 models-

Audi A6 slated for release in 2012
2010 BMW 535i
2009 Mercedes Benz E350

Though the A6 isnt there in the poll ( as there is quite some time to go for its release yet), the 3 can be visually compared here and the pros and cons can be spotted.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10)-1.jpg  

2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10)-36.jpg  

2009 Mercedes Benz E350 cdi Avantgarde (w212) vs 2010 BMW 530d (f10)-2.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 08:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

The current A6's looks were not to the tastes of many people and lost out on many occasions as a result of its bland (old) look. This Audi suggests otherwise.Seems to have borrowed a lot from the present A4 nonetheless, would be quite a stonker of a vehicle both looks & performance wise IMO.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:33   #19
BHPian

Wow....the new A6 looks really aggressive and sporty.

When you compare the Merc here with the Audi & BMW, it already beings to look a bit dated.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:08   #20
BHPian

Hard for me to admit the fact (BMW Lover), but the New E is a better overall package than the 5-series for sure. Autocar UK has also done a comparo and said that the E wins by a whisker of whiskers.
My Take : The New A6 would be the Bench Mark when launched, Going by the A4 And The Stunning New A8
Old 11th February 2010, 11:13   #21
BHPian

It's all about matter of opinion (more precisely TASTE)
One can't prove conclusively prove that which car is better.
Personally I would go for the Merc purely because of styling. The previous gen 5 series was better looking - mean and aggressive.
Old 11th February 2010, 11:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
Hard for me to admit the fact (BMW Lover), but the New E is a better overall package than the 5-series for sure. Autocar UK has also done a comparo and said that the E wins by a whisker of whiskers.
My Take : The New A6 would be the Bench Mark when launched, Going by the A4 And The Stunning New A8
You are right about Autocar UK's verdict but you might also be aware that tons of more European auto magazines/shows tested these 2 including Autobild ( German and 1 of the very popular choices among Europeans) and lets say 65 to 70% majority voted for the 5 series in overall appeal and personality. After all those are probably the only people who along with seeing the new e class ,have ALSO SEEN the new 5 series in flesh. Their basic point of argument is this very fact that the Merc seems to be trying way too hard to look aggressive and make a point, too many lines and boxy arches here & there. Whereas the fact they loved about the Beemer was, though there was nothing exhilarating , path breaking or unique about its design, it seems simple, elegant yet sporty at the sametime and with its slightly increased proportions and big kidney grille it looks like a handsome stunner in reality. It seems that the roles have reversed here....the e60 5 series with the Chris bangle design was aggressive ,sexy, angry looking and sporty where as the w211 Benz was elegant and timeless with nice curves and arches all over. This time over, the Benz is looking all aggressive & the Bmw sporty BUT elegant. 1 key area where the benz screwed up , according to them, is the back area. It looks really weird and straight out of some other car. Lets not forget that though many loved the e60 design including me, BMW also lost out on many of its loyalist because of its controversial looks. This time around they claim its elegant and a typical "BMW" design and it would surely be a hit among not only BMW loyalists but others as well. lets c how it goes...Going to be a lot mor fun just to observe the reactions once the A6 launches as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
It's all about matter of opinion (more precisely TASTE)
One can't prove conclusively prove that which car is better.
Personally I would go for the Merc purely because of styling. The previous gen 5 series was better looking - mean and aggressive.
The Merc sure is quite a head turner in its own right . What do you have to say about the rear end though ?? convincing enough for u ??? dont you think the w211 had a much more elegant shape overall ?

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 11th February 2010 at 11:42.
Old 11th February 2010, 13:04   #23
BHPian

the new A6 looks a little to much like the A4, which is a good thing since the A4 is one hell of a looker.

IMO in the looks department, the Mercedes is no way close to its other two German rivals
Old 12th February 2010, 09:53   #24
BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo
Agree to most of what you say, and Yes anyone on T-Bhp would have designed a better rear for the E. I have seen the E in Flesh and it looks good, which kind of makes up for the pathetic rear. I would wait for Autocar India's verdict by end of this year to make a final opinion (Although they gave the New E a 10/10 in their review) so don't know how the 5 (F10) would beat. A bigger issue for me with Mercedes is their Interior Design, the central console looks the same as the last gen and Command Seems "Made In China".

Still go for the A6 if they get it with the 4.2 TDI which they have out in the New A8. Wow if Wishes were Horses..

Last edited by MonkeyMan : 12th February 2010 at 09:54.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:42   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Haven't driven the new 5. But based on my experience with the E Class, I have this to say:

- Looks. No debating here. I am a guy who loves clean designs and the F10 totally does it for me. The side profile is especially timeless, compared to the quirky E. I went (and still am) ballistic over the new 7, so no surprises here as the 5 takes a lot of inspiration from its big brother.

- Driving experience. If history is anything to go by, the 5 will have the edge here.

- Luxury. The Benz is a better overall luxury car. For me however, to hell with ride quality and practicality. It's always the heart over the head.

Voted for the 5.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
@PlatzdaTurbo

Still go for the A6 if they get it with the 4.2 TDI which they have out in the New A8. Wow if Wishes were Horses..

Highly unlikely. Too good to be true. They usually launch models looking at the requirements. Audi 3.0 TDI is a hotseller as far as the A6 is concerned and its good enough to compete with the Beemer & Merc diesels, so they dont really have a reason to launch it. Though as you say, if they somehow did, it would be fun !
Old 12th February 2010, 21:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Voted for the 5.
Good call ! Agree with all your points

I do have a question for you though. In the photo comparison, Autobild says that the Beemer is on 19 inchers. Do you see those coming along with the F10 when it launches in India ???? If yes, i suppose they would only be available with the top of the line 535i, d or 530d right ?? & if not, what would the 535i, 528i and 530d , which would be the more expensive range,get ? 18 inch alloys right ??? i really hope & pray they dont come with 17 inchers as from what i have heard, 17 inch alloys are offered on the E350 & 350 CDI in India ( i dont even know if its true , i have just heard about it) . I am really praying the top of the line variants of the 5 series are offered with big alloys !
Old 12th February 2010, 21:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Good call !! Agree with all your points.

I do have a question for you though. In the photo comparison, Autobild says that the Beemer is on 19 inchers. Do you see those coming along with the F10 when it launches in India ???? If yes, i suppose they would only be available with the top of the line 535i, d or 530d right ?? & if not, what would the 535i, 528i and 530d , which would be the more expensive range,get ? 18 inch alloys right ??? i really hope & pray they dont come with 17 inchers as from what i have heard, 17 inch alloys are offered on the E350 & 350 CDI in India ( i dont even know if its true , i have just heard about it) . I am really praying the top of the line variants of the 5 series are offered with big alloys !
lol dont worry. even they launch it with smaller alloys you can upgrade it easily. and for your information - the present 530i comes with 18" rims and so does the 530d highline i think. and the e class is with 17" rims.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
lol dont worry. even they launch it with smaller alloys you can upgrade it easily. and for your information - the present 530i comes with 18" rims and so does the 530d highline i think. and the e class is with 17" rims.

yup am aware it the current one comes with 18s but seeing the new E on 17s scared me a bit
Old 12th February 2010, 21:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
yup am aware it the current one comes with 18s but seeing the new E on 17s scared me a bit
yes but mercedes always does lean more towards a comfortable drive than a sporty one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks