Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 20:25   #31
BHPian

Yes, I will buy one if it is a True Hot Hatch like Golf GTI MK - VI, Fabia VRS and upcoming AUDI - A1
Old 9th February 2010, 20:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Firstly if i were to buy a hatch for that money, I'd obviously look for 130+bhp as everyone else pointed. But don't even dream of getting a powerful hatch for 10L in India. This market would contribute just 50 units a month. And for such a small number, no manufacturer would consider building it here. And if you were to import such a car it would cost upwards of 15L viz Bravo, Civic Type-R, Punto 1.6 etc.

If you have a 10L budget, I'd suggest you go for the Honda City. It has a nice 120bhp engine!

Otherwise if i had the money, I'd go for this
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a hatchback for 10L?-concept_honda_civic_frontangle_mfr_430.jpg  

Would you buy a hatchback for 10L?-genevehondacivictyper2b.jpg  

Last edited by theragingbull : 9th February 2010 at 20:35.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:39   #33
BHPian

i would buy the bravo.

or the skoda yeti. (i know its not a hatch but its not a big butch suv too) its gonna be priced more than 10 lacs i know but its wishful thinking from my part i guess.

also if launched VW golf, or Renault meagane looks like a hot hatch!

Last edited by Caramelo : 9th February 2010 at 20:41.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:41   #34
BHPian

10 lakhs for a hatchback. I would rather go for a nice sedan. This is with respect to the cars CURRENTLY available in India. I dont think there are any hatches at 10 lakhs anyways. However in the future if any hot hatches come ashore, i will definitely contemplate about one, especially the Civic Type R. And yes, the Golf GTi is sweet, so add that too!
Old 9th February 2010, 20:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I voted NO because I have defination of hatchback in my minds which indicates hatchback =< 6 Lakh only. Above the settled limit is for luxury and oomph factor.
Voted for no as my definition of hatch matches with what ashthedivx has mentioned above.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:48   #36
BHPian

hi! I voted No. In this budget, we have more choices & we indians love bigger cars for various reasons already discussed on this thread. Moreover, a person spending 10L would most likely be already having one car at home(in most cases), so he would look at other segments like SUV/MUV/Crossover etc. My two Cents. Cheers
Old 9th February 2010, 20:50   #37
BHPian

If above 10 L, it should be an RWD/AWD with 150+ bhp(+all features mentioned above ).
Some dreams.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:53   #38
BHPian

Thanks for your responses. The voting seems to confirm my suspicions that these stereotypes still exist.

I also see a lot of wishful thinking. Cars like the Fiat Bravo, Honda Civic hatchback, Mini etc would not only cost more than 10L, but would be close to 15L in India. And if we consider the Civic Type R or the Golf GTI, there's no chance that these cars, even if they were made in India, would cost less than 20L.

The 10L price point would be more applicable to cars currently on sale (Honda Jazz, Fiat Grande Punto, upcoming VW Polo) if they were sold in India with the same top-spec engines and features as they are abroad. E.g. a Honda Jazz with a 1.5 iVTEC, or a Grande Punto with a 1.4TJet, or a VW Polo 1.2 TSI with DSG. With 6 airbags, and fully loaded in terms of equipment, each of these cars would cost around 10L if they were to be sold here.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO. Budget of ten lakhs, eyes closed either safari or scorpio. Heart says safari, mind says scorpio
Old 9th February 2010, 21:20   #40
BHPian

I voted yes.

Hatches are the most practical option on narrow roads that we have in India. Further, thankfully, we don't have to move houses in our own trucks and sedans in India, so that's not a basic requirement for us.

I would any day go for a luxurious hatch than a basic sedan. However there are very few cars currently in the Indian market which meet this criteria (with the exception of Jazz IMO). This is probably because of our stereotype that hatch has to be cheap. Sedans also add to so called "status" in India, it seems. Lukewarm response to Jazz proves these points. It will take some time, but I am sure we will mature as a market and have premium hatches. We will get there!
Old 9th February 2010, 21:38   #41
BHPian

Yes, of course.

At 10 Lakhs OTR. I want:

- at least 150 hp
- < 1200 Kg. A hatch might help keep the weight down
- I don't mind if it is FWD
- I don't need a DSG. A slick-shifting 5-speed manual is alright
- Sharp, powerful, fade-free brakes.
- Chassis and suspension tuned for handling
- ABS, 2 Airbags minimum. I don't need traction control
- If it helps cut costs, I can live with 2 doors
- I don't need many amenities. A/C, power windows should suffice

How about a Skoda Fabia with the Laura TSi engine?

Give me such a car and I will beg, borrow or steal to get it into my garage.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:43   #42
BHPian

If Fiat Comes with Bravo 1.6 MJD ,am sure its best buy.Or punto Abarth with T-Jet.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

A 150-200 bhp Audi A1 or BMW 1 series hatch.. why not??
Old 9th February 2010, 22:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

If you are talking about existing hatches with some meaty engine making it to 10L price and if I would consider to buy it?

Then its a straight NO!!

In case if its a hatch with tolerable looks, producing 120-140BHP, has enough strength to handle that power and impressive 0-100 figure, why not I'm ready to pay 10L

Last edited by HammerHead : 9th February 2010 at 22:29.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:32   #45
BHPian

I have selected 'No', keeping in mind the current scenario of hatches available in India.
If some modern hot hatches with good features are available, I would surely like to buy one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks