Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 10:26   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I think what we need to ask ourselves is this. Given a hatch and a sedan with the same engine, ride and handling, features, space (except maybe boot space), would you pay approximately the same amount for both, if that amount was near 10L? From what I see, some of the expectations of a 10L hatch are quite optimistic
Spot On. Expectations from 10L hatch are sky high I shud say going by the responses above. Honda City is currently available at 10L. Lets assume we also have Honda Jazz with same 1.5L City engine and with same features of currently sold top end Jazz. Lets say this Honda Jazz also costs ~10L.

Which one would you opt for here ? I will go with Honda City even if it is the low end model and has slightly less features than Honda Jazz.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Europe has moved a long way ahead with hatches,while in India a hatch is still dubbed as a mass-market automobile.While Europe is a sucker for big,fast hatches India is more of a 'compact sedan' country,where manufacturers are busy slapping boots/status to hatches! So the concept of a 10L hatch has not yet dawned here yet.And rest assured even if these Euro hatches are produced here,they'll cost more than these so called compact sedans.And that will mess with the general perception about hatches,and will bomb in the market!

But I'm willing to put my money down on a 10L hatch if,
1) If it has the looks,space and practicality compared to all equivalent sedans
2) Should be a peppy performer,needn't be a hot hatch,and as mentioned by the End all true hot hatches will cost north of 20L.Again should be comparable to all equivalent sedans
3)Should be dynamically sound.Again comparable to the sedan competetion.
4) Features,safety and equipment should be at par with sedans at that price,if not more.

Cars like the Ford Focus hatch or the VW Golf MK VI should address all the points mentioned above,given the benchmark is the ANHC.And well,they would be the perfect 10L hatches with the right engines!
Old 10th February 2010, 10:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Definitely, if

I would definitely buy a 10L Hatchback if I get either Golf GTi/R32, Clio 172 like the one below
Would you buy a hatchback for 10L?-p1010704.jpg
or even the Astra VXR.

Agree with most of the points in OP
Old 10th February 2010, 10:45   #64
Team-BHP Support

Each of us has his/her set of preferences. One person might have a parking problem another might not. One person might feel the ned for a more sipirited engine another might prefer the fuel economy of a smaller engine and so on.

We make our decisions based on our own particular set of needs, wants, and desires.

For example: When my wife was looking for a car we really really wished that we had choices like the Skoda Fabia 1.6vRS with 6 speed DSG box but we did not.

Her budget was 10-11L. She really wanted an good hatch with auto box - no the Santro was not an option. So she got hte Honda City it was really the only choice she had. The boot (in her case) was a compromise.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

i would say NO, coz i prefer sedans (and SUVs) to hatchbacks. i'd add little more money and maybe get a Civic or a Laura. have been driving a Getz for 3yrs now, next upgrade will be to a sedan. this doesn't mean hatchbacks are bad - i love my Getz!

like navin said, its subjective to one's needs.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

No. We get some very good Sedans at that prize, so why bother?

When we talk about a hatch we talk about convenience of city usage - have some good features (auto cc,alloys,a good ICE, aribags+ABS) , get a decent engine : diesel, and preferably auto. All these can be done in under 10L comfortably.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
Asking this question itself indicates dangerous trends in Indian automobile industry.

Today if we have Rs.10L, lets evaluate two possibilities of utilizing the money.

Option 1 - Buy a hatchback for 10L

On road price of the new car - 10L

Value of the car after 5 years (after depreciation) - Rs.4.25L

Total Asset Value after 5 years - Rs.4.25L

Option 2 - Buy a hatchback @ 4L and rest invested in bank

On road price of the new car - 4L

Value of the car after 5 years (after depreciation) - Rs.1.70L

Amount invested in Bank - 6L (interest @ 8%)

Amount in Bank after 5 years - Rs.8.82L

Total asset value after 5 years = 1.7 + 8.82 = Rs.10.5L

You all are intelligent people.....You decide, whether to buy a hatchback @ 10L or buy a 4L car, having most of the features of a 10L car and invest the rest of the money wisely (bank, shares, property) . Interestingly, by the end of 5th year,your investments may have grown up automatically to buy your next hatchback!

Source : Depreciation Calculator
i agree with your practical argument! but at the same time. some cars could be keepers. and could be your workhorse for 5 long years. and just take an example of say. 1.9 tdi fabia. or bravo.or jazz. i mean this thing could last more than what you expect. you pay for the engine, the features, and extra bits. others wise why would you pay 6 lacs more? if you are a long term buyer i don't see any harm in spending such money!

Last edited by Caramelo : 10th February 2010 at 12:47.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:49   #68
BHPian

I'm not sure, but isn't the Optra SRV a good candidate here? Or the Ford Fusion with the 1.6 engine?
Old 10th February 2010, 12:59   #69
BHPian

Yes for me, but It should be Laura like car with out boot. One of the the advantages are, being a hatch it will be of shorter length, and parking needs only lesser space. Many times I have seen people could t park their Octavia or Accord inside their gate here in Bangalore.

So many people will treat the car as their status symbol. Only because of that they will go for the bigger cars (sedans).
Old 10th February 2010, 13:19   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I'm not sure, but isn't the Optra SRV a good candidate here? Or the Ford Fusion with the 1.6 engine?
SRV is a good option i felt too! And since its under 10 lakhs, i guess there will be some $$ left for some after market work as well! But its a dated car, never sold well either.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
SRV is a good option i felt too! And since its under 10 lakhs, i guess there will be some $$ left for some after market work as well! But its a dated car, never sold well either.
The SRV also was not the performance monster which it was made out to be, IIRC.

If I had Rs. 10L and a hatch worth that much (to me) were available, i'd consider it. currently there is none such so i'll vote no.

No hatch produced in India today is in this category (discounting niche stuff like Beetle, 500 etc). There are just too many if's and but's that come into the picture as is evident from all the posts.

Last edited by gomzi : 10th February 2010 at 13:58.
Old 10th February 2010, 14:54   #72
BHPian

I would definitely go for that. I dont mind spending a few lakhs extra for a brilliant car like Fiat Bravo rather than Honda Jazz or Skoda Fabia which are atrociously priced and more over under powered . I would have gone for SRV it had a much more powerful engine.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:10   #73
BHPian

I might if I am to get
1) outrageous power,
2) excellent handling
3) ultimate reliabiliy
4) ABS,EBD, airbags,Traction control(All safety net you could get)
5) Good After Sales
6)Good Brand value(Mabe this is the most important)
Old 10th February 2010, 15:12   #74
BHPian

I will never spend more than 2-3 lack over any hatchback. I know will not get new ones in that range but where is the place to drive and park cars in delhi or other big cities. They all just crawl and all gets dented, scratched etc the moment they leave the showroom. Sometimes even in showrooms as well. Just a personal opinion but don't find wise to spend money one something you adore and you find no place to park and drive it at as fast speed as it is meant for.
What use buying a car for such price like 10 lakh when all you've to do is just show off and convince yourself that yes you are driving something which is expensive, when you've no place do drive or park.
Just my personal opinion don't wish to argue or hurt others opinions.

Last edited by sameer551 : 10th February 2010 at 15:15.
Old 10th February 2010, 15:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
The SRV also was not the performance monster which it was made out to be, IIRC.

If I had Rs. 10L and a hatch worth that much (to me) were available, i'd consider it. currently there is none such so i'll vote no.

No hatch produced in India today is in this category (discounting niche stuff like Beetle, 500 etc). There are just too many if's and but's that come into the picture as is evident from all the posts.
True. The SRV was more of a poser than a performer. But it had killer looks and for its time looked quite futuristic. It looked a class apart from the regular hatches. And it also was a mod friendly ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks