Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 17:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
- Rarely travel with passengers in the backseat (has got nothing to do with the car being a hatch or a sedan)
Simple... If there's any parcels or luggage to carry, it can easily sit on the back-seat. I have to do this as my Swift's luggage space is almost entirely occupied by a bass tube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well there is the i20 1.4 Auto or the CRDi which is just the right car for such requirement, they meet the expectations quite well I think
True. The i20 is an excellent car. Unfortunately I'm very stubborn and would never buy a car with an automatic (torque convertor) or a diesel engine.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:11   #17
BHPian

Voted yes, if i get something like:

1. VW Beetle
2. Mini
3. Fiat 500
4. Bravo
Old 9th February 2010, 18:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Octavia is a hatch back right and its sold for over 10L. So 10L hatches are not entirely impossible. So yes, definitely, why not?
Old 9th February 2010, 18:23   #19
BHPian

Yes i would if it's from Benz or BMW or Mini
I think I can include Audi TT
Old 9th February 2010, 18:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Bravo looks very promising. A good hatch to own even for 10L+
Old 9th February 2010, 18:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If it was a truly premium driver's hatch (equal or above the Octavia vRS), I'd bite. 150 - 200 BHP, super build, excellent hydraulic steering + handling + braking combo, all wheel discs, a 6 speed manual gearbox and i20 like amenities.

Sadly, enthusiasts would account for a mere 50 - 100 monthly sales at a national level. Such a car would fail miserably in our VFM & FE obsessed market.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would be certainly interested to look at buying a 10L+ hatch provided it has following

1. Stunning design (e.g. Beetle) with excellent internal packaging (e.g. Honda Jazz)

2. One should be able to walk in/out of the car (and not squeeze through), Rear leg room is also very important. 3 people should be able to sit comfortably for an 8 hour drive.

3. Safety (airbags, ABS, EBD)

4. Security (immobilizer, passive keyless entry)

5. Good power with good fuel efficiency (better than Honda ANHC), better road grip with wider/larger tyres.

6. Hybrid (2 or more fuel choices) Petrol + Electricity OR Petrol + Fuel Cells or Petrol + CNG or Petrol + Solar

7. Apple iPAD like ICE (with built in Modem, Wifi, GPS, BT, FM, Media Player, Videoplayer, gaming) embedded in the front seat head rests with (wirless) head phone connectivity options in the arm rest.

8. Everything OE fitted (SUN Films, Alloys, Tubeless Tyres, Front and Rear Fog lamps etc)

9. Premium Brand delivering superior customer experience (after sales, reliability of the product/service)

10. No Gross Errors (GC issues, Highspeed stability, cutting corners for tax benefits, Non availability of service stations around India etc)
Old 9th February 2010, 18:54   #23
A.R
BHPian

I am a typical Indian and will want to buy a Sedan or a SUV (adding some more Vit M). I, certainly will not buy a sedan. Well, unless I plan on my third car and I sign the cheque on a Friday evening!
Old 9th February 2010, 19:08   #24
BHPian

I voted yes and its simply because I feel hatches are better than sedans in terms of space utilization and design. Especially when u live in a city like Mumbai you know how much every inch of space means. Plus I prefer smaller cars with more power. So my wishlist from a 10 l hatch will include:
- 1.8 l+ petrol engine generating at least 140+ BHP
- All safty features like ABS, 6 airbags, rear discs, etc.
- Climate control plus GPS navigation system
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth connectivity like Blu&me
- Leather upholstry
- great music system with USB
- chunky tyres that can keep up with the engine
- Decent passenger seats as if i am spending so much I do not want to not being able to show off
- Parking sensors
- Top class plastics & fit and finish

Though i think this will always be just a wishlist coz we Indians will always prefer sedans over hatches coz we are just made that way...
Old 9th February 2010, 19:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Voted for YES.
But again there are many conditions.
1) The car must not have a huge turning radius. If it has a large turning radius, then IMHO, upto some extent, it defeats the purpose of having a hatch in the first place.

2) Engine. Here is the core and heart. Must be around 1.6ltrs. with good technology like variable valve timing capable of valve lift, duration + phasing.
Nothing is fun like having a 1.6 high tech unit giving out high output and fighting with those big gun 1.8 ( by indian standards ).

3) Ride quality and stability : Must not be a compromise.

4) Cost of spares and maintenance must be low. Not the current way of pricing the spares high. If we exclude Maruti and Hyundai, almost all are expensive to maintain.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:31   #26
BHPian

Yes, I would buy one provided that it is a performance hatch like the Civic Type R, Fiat Bravo or the Golf GTi.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:53   #27
BHPian

I voted NO, because -
1. It does not make sense.
2. I donot live in a big city like Mumbai where space is a constraint.
3. A sedan has a boot and is more practical in highways and probably safer too.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:54   #28
BHPian

I would buy only if it is something like a Fiat 500 with customized features and exploding power.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:03   #29
BHPian

Of course, if I had the cash and the car is from a niche segment. I wouldn't spend that much for a usual premium segment hatchback, though.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think the discussion is veering towards 10L + wish list for a Hatch instead of discussion on buying a hatch for 10L

To be frank its not a straight forward answer, in a place like Mumbai it may make lot of sense because space is at premium but not if you are in a not so crowded city(which is most of India).

Then again some would buy it purely because either they want to flaunt it or they need a hatch with all the bells & whistles & budget is not a constraint.

Most Viewed