Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a hatchback for Rs. 10L (OTR)?
Yes 205 47.79%
No 224 52.21%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 08:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you buy a hatchback for 10L?

The question in the OP was asked about 2 years back and a lot has changed after that. I guess the top-end diesel versions of most premium hatches already touch 8.5L to 9L OTR in places with high road tax. So 10L isn't too much of a stretch in the current scenario. Maybe, the question now should be - Would you buy a hatchback for 12L or 13L?
Old 21st May 2012, 10:16   #122
BHPian

As I said before, I will still buy the polo/similar hatch at 12L OTR. When you want to enjoy driving, I better have a car with a short chassis, good power, right handling, good brakes. And when I drive like that, I don't want 5 people in tow. Obviously, it can't be my primary transport. It has to be a second car, which can be also used for 4 people at times. Not to mention the ease of parking.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:50   #123
BHPian

Interesting question..i have been asking myself the same cos we dont have parking space at office (at home too since its a joint family where we have 4 cars) but i want to scale-up since i believe the car you drive shows where you stand in life to the society.

So would i be interested in a powered up swift or Fabia? I think not since most people will not recognize the difference. If i wanted a powerful car, i should get a brand which says it loud enough(literally too).

I would buy it if it gives me that feel good factor associated with the brand.
For 10 Lakhs OTH
A Cruze hatchback is a good option
So is the Honda Civic Hatchback
The Ford Fiesta hatchback with the Dual Clutch Auto (its much better looking than the sedan)

For 15 to 20 lakhs OTR
Volvo S40 would be awesome (The build quality of Volvo is just mind blowing & love the features volvo brings to the table)
Mercedes A Class (If they manage to retain the outrageous looks to a certain extent)

Practically speaking i doubt if these cars would ever get sold here in India in the near future. Meanwhile i think I would have bought the Ford Eco-sport (its sub 4 meters & to me a hatchback on stilts) ..fingers crossed

Last edited by urajkumar : 21st May 2012 at 10:53.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:00   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yes will buy.
But only if it has minimum 150-160 bhp. All wheel drive, sticky rubber,proper anchors, recaro's, little thingies called adjustable bilsteins or eibachs at the corners and a steering mechanism that's more talkative than the wifey on the phone ! .
I dont care about the number of doors, dont care about hvac, dont care about cd/mp3 players, power windows, softy dashboards, flappy paddle shifters etc , etc
Lancia Deltia Integrale HF, Renault Clio Williams V6 (original 1st gen one with the golden alloys) - can your spiritual successors be ever launched in India ?
Old 21st May 2012, 11:35   #125
Team-BHP Support

Yes I would definitely buy a hot hatch for 10L, due to the superb power-to-weight ratio, ease of parking and in-city driving comfort for hatches. Considering today's diesel hatches extend into the 8-9L range anyway, 10L isn't too much of a stretch, like someone else pointed out. I'm not even asking for 150-160bhp, since that would be impractical and financially not viable for companies, considering the sparse market here for such enthusiast hatches.

All I want is a decent, well-sorted hatch with 100-120bhp on tap. For example, I would love to own the VW Polo if it came with the Vento's 1.6 TDI engine as an option, now that would be a hoot to drive! is 10L too much to ask for that diesel rocket hatch, nope, not at all! Ditto with the Punto T-Jet or the Swift Sport 1.6. Heck, even the Swift with the 1.3 MJD VGT (93bhp and 210Nm torque) would be brilliant. Give me the topend, fully loaded trims of these models with all the safety features and bells and whistles, with any of these engine options at around 10L OTR (especially the european ones) and I would be joining the queue .

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st May 2012 at 11:39.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:18   #126
BHPian

Voted No.

I say No to this one, unless the following are available in the package:
  • An excellent 5-seater
  • Excellent to drive, good handling and on-road manners, good ground clearance
  • Superior brakes + ABS, 6 airbags, excellent tires (silent ones + with good grip)
  • Good head, shoulder and leg-room, under thigh support
  • Superior firm suspensions that can be comfortable for all occasions
  • Excellent all-round visibility and good driving ergonomics
  • Boot Space in excess of 275 lts, + additional makeshift boot space in terms of 60:40 rear seat split
  • ICE, Climate Control, Rear A/C, Rear Defogger + Wiper
  • Peppy to drive with Silky Gearshift
This might be asking for more OR may be not, but I just expressed what would convince me buy a premium hatch for Rs 10 L OTR price!

Thanks,
C_
Old 21st May 2012, 15:24   #127
BHPian

Its not really the size of the car that matters when it comes to the cost of buying for me. Its the full package. Couple of years ago I almost was bought the first gen Fabia (the one that had HID projector lights with sunroof, ABS + AIR bags, defogger mirrors etc). It was close to the 10L price band, but then it was way ahead of its time for a super hatch (there were some other let backs, for which I did not guy it eventually), but if there is one today which is technically, component wise superior then hatch not I would buy it! but we have none today that fits the bill.

Last edited by man_and_machine : 21st May 2012 at 15:24. Reason: Spell check
Old 21st May 2012, 15:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't. I am a space person, i need to see space with increase in price (and some engine power), but i am not outright engine power person. So if a hot powerful hatch is launched at 10L+ i would probably avoid it.

I guess most of the time i see hatch as a city car (I know there are exceptions), and in the city i would surely not need that much power.

I answered No and initially was surprised to see so many Yes, now i know why .
Old 21st May 2012, 16:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

I voted yes.
In fact, I don't mind spending a little more.
I am not looking for a supermini with a massive power output. I want a practical hatchback that not only has power, but also space. It should not be bound by the Indian 4 meter rule. It should have enough leg room at the rear, and also good enough boot space. Cabin shold be airy. Interiors should be decent. I don't mind front-wheel drive.

What I want is, something like Lancia Delta with a little less luxury.

Last edited by rohanjf : 21st May 2012 at 16:54.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:52   #130
BHPian

I would absolutely, most definitely, definitely willingly buy a hatch even if the range was pushed to lets say 15 Lakhs.

I would honestly take the 200 BHP Golf GTI over the Laura TSI. And blindly buy the Golf R over the Laura RS even if priced the same.

I love the way hatches handle (agile and so so sharp) and Golf has tremendous space too.

If wishes were horses...
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:18   #131
BHPian

Yes if the hatchback in question is a VW Beetle or a Mini :-) may stretch a little may be by 20%.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:52   #132
BHPian

I'd buy a hatch for 10l or more maybe upto 15. depends a lot on the power output though. features are addon's you could mostly get aftermarket. but something like a swift sport with the 1.6 or a polo/golf GTi or something with a little more horses. i like hatches and am a sucker for hot hatches. :P
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:02   #133
BHPian

If its a sub 4 meter 1200cc hatchback, i would not be too interested..but a product like the Jazz or the erstwhile Chevvy SRV could be a VFM product at 10 Lakhs provided it ticks all the right boxes.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:05   #134
Senior - BHPian

Yes, and hopefully the envelop will be tested by Merc A class coming to India or maybe Audi tries the A1 that's for the luxury segment when I would like to drive within city and do some simple runs.

If given a delicious track ready sizzling hatch (no compromise) then I too am up for it. Buddh circuit will see more of me then. It was utter disappoint to see Mini cooper prices. But that might be due to some stupid regulation in India, IDK.

Hot hatch over compromised sedan any day.

Hope the marketing department of many giants are keeping an eye on this thread.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:04   #135
BHPian

Yes.... If its a Polo GTI with the 1.4 Twincharged engine belting out 180 HP (Or something similar).
No if it has a weedy engine and only some additional 'luxury' features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks