Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 19:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Excellent report, as usual, GTO!

What FIAT is missing in Punto that GM doesn't have to battle with Beat?
IMHO Punto is another typical 1.3 multi jet engined hatch with average fit and finish (read worth 4.25L for base and 5.5L with ABS airbags max) .

Just for PUNTO's mini maserati looks-exterior styling alone FIAT in India is asking big premium of 75K .

FIAT's poor self created customer distrust.

FIAT is not independant in A.S.S and back riding with TATA.

With all faults FIAT audaciously increased prices of PUNTO in 2010

On the other hand GM built customer trust in 2009 in full swing.

GM with its range of products hatches, sedans, MUV and SUV assuring Indian clients that GM is for Long run in India.

With new SPARK, BEAT, CRUZE launches and VFM pricing GM has built customer confidence several folds in 2009.

GM's 3 year warranty has convinced many to buy GM products.
SPARK sellingk 4K plus units vouches the Indian Mass customer support to GM.

Well managed performance by GM top Management

Last edited by harimakesh : 9th February 2010 at 19:16.
Old 9th February 2010, 19:55   #17
BHPian

@GTO, Something not right about Audi figures. Your first post shows this as 190 while Audi website claims this as 306 for Jan/10.

Audi India > Company > News > Local news
Old 9th February 2010, 20:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

that's a very comprehensive report of the sales figures. GTO and Vasudeva

But Audi India today reported an over two fold jump in its January sales at 306 units over the same period last year.The company had sold 109 units in January 2009, the company said in a statement.
Audi sales jump over two fold in January- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 9th February 2010, 21:11   #19
BHPian

Commercial production of Nano in Sanand to start in March, 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Entry Hatch Segment:

The Gujarat plant is still 8 – 10 months away from being ready.

Commercial production of Nano in Sanand to start in March, 2010. And once that starts Tata will cling on to No 2 position slowly widening the gap with Hyundai(tata aria is also expected at the same time). Maruti will still be no 1 atleast for some years.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th February 2010 at 09:48. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 9th February 2010, 21:30   #20
BHPian

Excellent Report GTO and Vasudeva. Very Nice. Happy to see Manza doing good and getting TATA to a comfortable position . to GM's Performance.

Last edited by mnhegde : 9th February 2010 at 21:31.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:35   #21
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, but Indigo-CS numbers will be in B-segment and not C-segment (as its sub-4m).

In that case 7258 Manzas (+ a few Marinas) is a truly whopping number.
Manza has really taken the fight to the segment-leader Dzire!

Quote:
C Segment Sedans:

- The competent Manza does the job and brings Tata the best ever performance within the C segment. A whopping 7,258 Indigos (Manza, CS and a sprinkling of Marinas)
Old 10th February 2010, 00:59   #22
BHPian

Kudos to the TATA team for the splendid performance
Old 10th February 2010, 02:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Jan 2010 - MB records 400% growth

Jan 2010 - MB records 400% growth Year On Year

Statistics: Jan 2010: 403 units; Jan 2009: 82 units.

Pune: In the international market, Mercedes-Benz has registered strong growth in January 2010 (China more than doubled Year on Year sales for January to 8300 units for Jan 2010; in Japan the company recorded 11 percent growth, Australia netted over 50 percent growth, South Korea more than 238 percent growth, and South Africa 12 percent increase). The growth story continues in India with Mercedes-Benz where the company has registered 400% growth on a year on year basis for January 2010. "Luxury is all about offering services and providing the best to the customers- and not just about sales numbers. Statistically we are the Numero Uno in terms of monthly sales for last two consequent months (December 2009- 334 units, jan 2010- 403 units wholesale) however leadership in numbers is not the focal point of MB India as we maintained all along" quoted Dr. Aulbur, Managing Director & CEO of Mercedes-Benz India.

Fascinating customers through existing product offerings in line with international launches like SLS AMG to launching a series of 7 products in the last 1 month, supported by the largest distribution network spread across 52 over 25 cities, Mercedes-Benz leads the market with exotic customer experience all throughout.

"Lifestyle is an essential part of luxury" maintained Dr. Aulbur, adding "it reflects when we meet our customers on the 10th edition of MercedesTrophy played across 15 cities attended by more than 2000 or when we launched our Fascination Series of haute couture with Manish Arora the only Indian designer to be featured at the Paris fashion week for the last 5 years. We shall continue to fascinate our customers with our initiatives- be it through exciting products or engaging initiatives.”

Soursey: MBIL

Last edited by hanmust : 10th February 2010 at 02:06.
Old 10th February 2010, 03:07   #24
BHPian

Excellent report GTO and Vasudeva.
Good to know that MB has picked up its market share but wonder how would E class sell once the new 5 series is launched.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:02   #25
BHPian

Some how I am not happy with finish of Manza.I saw some places where wielding is budging out badly and some painting problems.I asked the dealer guy "is it a problem with this show room car"."No sir, it is like that" yek!
Old 10th February 2010, 07:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
And while on lackluster performances, HM closes at 755 (Ambassador, Lancer & Cedia in that order)
Think about it for a moment : The 60 year ol’ Ambassador sells more than the Lancer and the Cedia. Do you think that’s enough to tell HM-Mitsubishi that they are doing something wrong? Well, apparently not.
The Lancer still sells?? and it sells more than the Cedia!!!???
Old 10th February 2010, 08:19   #27
BHPian

Nice report GTO! neatly summarized

Can u also share the category wise volume & value share,i.e sedans/hatches/SUV?
Old 10th February 2010, 08:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Well managed performance by GM top Management
I echo that, as a customer that has had very quick responses from the head of the company down to the customer service engineers at the dealerships. The cars are very well put together too.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

[OT] I love this website. Gives me literally lots of everything that an enthusiast could ask for. Great report guys.

Coming to the topic:

I'm glad to see the Jazz numbers where they are. Jan of course has probably seen pent up Dec demand also spilling over. The fact that there is a general appetite increase with several mfgrers seeing record numbers - its even more telling that the Jazz has seen a further dip in its sales. Its important that dominant players get a bit of a reality check at regular intervals if they start defying the market dynamics. I really hope that a competent car like the Jazz can be backed by sensible pricing so it can muster the numbers it deserves.

Here's my wish list from the hatchback segment which I feel has to be where the market should and will move at some point. I'd like to see a lot more offerings across players in the A/T hatch segment, both in petrol and diesel. I think these engines should come with slightly powerful engines (e.g. city 1.5 like engine if jazz were to bring it) and be priced between 5 - 8.5 lakhs on road and no more (depending on which end of the hatch spectrum they occupy {Beat/i10 or Jazz/i20/polo}. Diesel automatics will hopefully take away the pinch of lower FE in this segment which will be more sensitive to lower FE than the D upwards segment is.

Having said the above, one thing that really surprises me is the lukewarm response to the Verna D A/T. I'm not a big fan of the looks but to me it seemed like a no brainer. Competent sub - 10 lakh sedan with Diesel efficiency and A/T convenience not making the A/T a guzzler. If I were a stretching my budget to buy a cost efficient sedan; don't have budget for driver, drive longer distances since I'm still climbing professional ladder and live far from work, such a product would be a very attractive proposition coming from a brand like Hyundai. The next diesel A/T sedan is around the 16 L price point so there's no comparable competition. Someone please explain why its not doing better numbers. If anyone else has thoughts on this please share. I searched hard on this forum and only found 3 i20 A/T owners and one!! Verna A/T owner.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th February 2010 at 09:37.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Analysis has been jointly prepared by GTO & Vasudeva. Many thanks to Vasudeva for his support.
Thanks GTO for being kind. The analysis was 100% prepared by GTO. I only provided the data and excel sheet here.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DOMESTIC SALES.xls (768.5 KB, 1464 views)

Most Viewed