Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 09:49   #31
BHPian

Can someone (GTO/Vasudeva) clarify this one? I am really interested to know this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but Indigo-CS numbers will be in B-segment and not C-segment (as its sub-4m).

In that case 7258 Manzas (+ a few Marinas) is a truly whopping number.
Manza has really taken the fight to the segment-leader Dzire!
Old 10th February 2010, 10:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

What about number of CR-V sold? it was zero couple of months back!
I think because of low number of Puntos sold, FIAT has come up with book a Punto and get lucky to win a Linea!

The Punto/Linea number reduction is mainly due to its shared floor with the TATA vehicles! Average indian buyer who is not much concerned about rdie and handling but about VFM, definately go for a TATA car. Sad for FIAT :( they should launch the performance cars soon to beat the competition!

Last edited by recshenoy : 10th February 2010 at 10:43.
Old 10th February 2010, 10:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but Indigo-CS numbers will be in B-segment and not C-segment (as its sub-4m).

In that case 7258 Manzas (+ a few Marinas) is a truly whopping number.
Manza has really taken the fight to the segment-leader Dzire!
If its true, it cuts both ways. While Manza & Indigo are making a killing, Vista & Indica are being pushed to the fringes. TM needs to get its act together fast, the competition is only getting stiffer.
Old 10th February 2010, 11:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO, thanks for the detailed analysis. Wanted to know the sales figure for Jaguar/Land Rover, is it included in the TATA list?
Old 10th February 2010, 11:05   #35
BHPian

Tag team of GTO and Vasudeva are back again . Wonderful insight and well explained.

Very interesting or should I say stagnant sales trend for FIAT. Punto sales is way below what I thought would be. Hope Punto sports and Linea T-Jet spike these numbers.

Jazz - First failure yes, but it's still a rocking product!! Will Honda turn it around? Let's wait and see... Probably touchscreen music system, GPS, Sunroof for the same price? If it's too late they might have to do the buy one get one free offers. Bet there are thousands of unsold Jazz in their lot already.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:45   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, Glad you liked our analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Manza proves TATA with true quality products it can have a greater pie in market share
You can say that again. The Manza is a massive step ahead in product R&D, albeit a little ahead in quality. That Fiat engine has got to have less issues than Tata's proprietary units. All Tata needs to do is bring fit & finish up and work on their after-sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
In the UV segment, any stats available on Force Motor's performance?
A mere 606 units, Kedar. Going by purchase experiences of the Gurkha on board, you'd think they don't want to sell their products at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
Hyundai should do something in it's line up with i10/i20 because there is very serious competition a head with Figo/Polo/Mirca.
I disagree. Hyundai's hatchbacks are well positioned and have their following. The Santro is now cheap yet competent, i10 high quality and the i20 truly premium. Look at their sales for the last 12 - 18 months. They've been consistent despite the Ritz, Punto and Beat's arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Ford's market share is pretty pathetic considering that they were one of the earliest MNCs to set shop here.
Bingo! The opening lines from my Figo review:

Quote:
70% of the Indian automobile market consists of the small car. The question isn’t : Why small car? The real question is : What took you so long, Ford? Consider the case of the only two American car manufacturers in India, both of whom entered our market around 1996 - 1997. Ford primarily uses its European products (either as is, or as a base platform) for the Indian market. GM only turned around their Indian operations after tapping into its Korean expertise (thanks to Daewoo buyouts). Ford’s average market share for the year 2009 was a mere 1.6% (total 29,452 cars sold last year). The General’s average market share for ’09 was 3.8% (peaking at 5.5% in December) for a total of 68,808 cars sold. The primary difference : GM has a presence in the small car segment which Ford didn’t. That’s all about to change with the Figo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
What FIAT is missing in Punto that GM doesn't have to battle with Beat?
Beat is way cheaper, futuristic and has excellent fit & finish. Plus, thanks to GM PR, the brand has a better position in our market than Fiat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
6) Bolero still surprises me. The car is from Qualis era with original 68 bhp sumo. Then came is Turbo Sumo called Victa, came in Tavera, then came Innova, but Bolero is now since long a best seller, the M800 of Utility segment.
Just think of the T-H-I-C-K profit margins, Aaggoswami! The Bolero's platform is derived from an ancient Jeep chassis. The quality of most parts is sub-standard. There is an absolute lack of any technology in the UV, save for the recently introduced common-rail engine. Still, there is a long list of buyers at its asking price of 6 - 8 lakhs!

The Bolero is rugged, FE, simple to repair and has a strong reputation in semi-urban / rural India.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:47   #37
BHPian

Thanks Vasudeva. Looking at UVs, it's a joke that Maruti and Nissan sales heads still believe in the Vitara and X-Trail. Maruti must be wondering sky high on what went wrong. Well, Nissan can console itself by treating the next couple of years as "testing the indian waters" .
Old 10th February 2010, 12:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO, I was actually expecting some more sales due to the new Traveller which looks quite good & offers a lot for its price.

But yes just like HM, Force too seems not much keen to make any sales.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:56   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
@GTO, Something not right about Audi figures. Your first post shows this as 190 while Audi website claims this as 306 for Jan/10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
But Audi India today reported an over two fold jump in its January sales at 306 units over the same period last year.The company had sold 109 units in January 2009, the company said in a statement.
Audi sales jump over two fold in January- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
The official SIAM numbers clearly stage Audi = 190. The 306 is some marketing gimmick, I can assure you of that. 33 Q5s, 136 A4s & A6s and 21 A8s & Q7s. It's better if Audi doesn't indulge in cheap tactics and sticks to facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Commercial production of Nano in Sanand to start in March, 2010.
Whoa! That's before time. Great news.

Quote:
Checked. Even in Tata's own press releases, the Indigo CS is included in the C segment itself. Remember, B segment = Only hatchbacks, C segment = Sedans (irrespective of length).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
Can u also share the category wise volume & value share,i.e sedans/hatches/SUV?
Sure thing.

Entry hatches : 6495
B Segment : 106,207
Mid-size : 27,165
Executive : 4,730
Premium : 1,247
Luxury : 61
UVs : 26,120
MPVs : 15,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm glad to see the Jazz numbers where they are.
Likewise. Will teach a thing or two to everyone about pricing their cars right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
What about number of CR-V sold? it was zero couple of months back!
The CRV has quite a following amongst the super-rich urban types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi GTO, thanks for the detailed analysis. Wanted to know the sales figure for Jaguar/Land Rover, is it included in the TATA list?
Maverick, numbers too low for them to report . They claim their sales are the "highest ever" but don't disclose actual numbers.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Some points:
1. No point comparing yoy figs and growth since the denominator was quite low (Oct 2008-Dec 2008).
2. Consider the yoy growths for various segments in sheet yoy. You will find smaller cars posting lower growth than bigger cars. This is because, smaller cars were less affected by 2008 collapse than bigger cars.
3. One month growth is misleading. Consider Q2FY2010 (July-Sep 2009) and Q3FY2010 (Oct-Dec 2009) as to whether the industry is sequentially reporting higher numbers. That leads to the conclusion that growth is there but not that high as reported in PRs (they give yoy and quote 100% as if customers are standing in line outside dealerships). Can you seriously consider 100% growth in any industry (except mobiles in the early 2000s).
4. Anyway, Q3FY2010 has not been so great but still better than Q2. Refer column CC and CD in sheet `fig'. Losers are Punto, Ford (nearly all segments), Fusion,Jazz, Indica, Hyundai Accent/Verna. Some successes: City, Cruze. On the Cruze point, I have seen so many spikes for GM (as anyone can see from this xls. sheet). Only 2-3 quarters of this spike will lead me to think that Cruze is a success.
Old 10th February 2010, 13:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

If they had given a powerful motor in Jazz, it would have looked decent next to City's price. It would not have a boot and 2 lakhs odd less !
Old 10th February 2010, 14:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Manza is just amazing. T this rate i wont be surprised if it overtakes Dzire as the top selling Sedan. And it deserves to be too!

Lineas are back to 1000 per month after a 2 month gap.

There were talks of 10000 Beats - why is that not reflected in GM's sales? I must say with 6K= in hatchback segment, and Cruze - GM is doing pretty good in India now.

Superb's continuing to outsell Accords.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:15   #43
BHPian

Great report GTO & Vasudeva.
Is Manza re-writing the Indica story in the C segment all over again? Somehow, is keeping these cars away from the taxi image that cooled Indica/go in the eyes of private customers working alongwith the promise of better A.S.S.? It just shows that VFM is still the topmost priority in India and those who forget it (Jazz) will perish and those who remember it (Tata cars) would flourish.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Great report GTO & Vasudeva.
Is Manza re-writing the Indica story in the C segment all over again? Somehow, is keeping these cars away from the taxi image that cooled Indica/go in the eyes of private customers working alongwith the promise of better A.S.S.? It just shows that VFM is still the topmost priority in India and those who forget it (Jazz) will perish and those who remember it (Tata cars) would flourish.
Money is objective but value is subjective. Value incl. not only the hard cash but also the intangibles. A Rs. 300 watch also gives the time as a super-expensive Rs. 1 cr+ watch.

Although Jazz may look expensive to many, for many it is VFM.
I think I read in my management school that high price+high quality is as value for money as low price+lesser quality. Low quality+high price is a rip off, and the reverse is a steal.

I consider VFM to be subjective.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:30   #45
BHPian

I still remember reading a newspaper article stating Maruti's market share as 80% about 12-13 years back. Even though they have dropped to mid 40s it is still commendable considering the number of competitors they have ..

Am kind of surprised at very low figures of Optra. It is much cheaper than Cruze, Altis and Civic and that too with their Diesel engine i would have expected better numbers. I guess GM is probably planning to phase it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks