Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 11:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Laura at Rs.11.99 Lakhs

Saw an advertisement today in Times of India.

The new Skoda Laura is being offered at an unbielevable price of 11.99 Lakhs *

I am assuming the star at the end means it could be the lowest end
model and ex-showroom price. But, that still makes this a terrific value.

If i am not wrong that looks like a straight 1.5 Lakhs dip on the base model.

What do you guys think? Is this price good enough to overlook their "supposedly" A.S.S and is a VFM product now?

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th February 2010 at 11:57.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

this has been there for quite a while now. I think this is for the petrol TSI model. there are couple of threads where people have already bought TSI for this price. I guess they will put tax on the original non discounted price and then give a 1.5 lak off of the on road price. still a good deal. but Skoda!!
Old 10th February 2010, 12:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
this has been there for quite a while now. I think this is for the petrol TSI model. there are couple of threads where people have already bought TSI for this price. I guess they will put tax on the original non discounted price and then give a 1.5 lak off of the on road price. still a good deal. but Skoda!!
Oh, is it for petrol? I was thinking its for the diesel. They mentioned its some celebration offer but not sure if thats a gimmick or for real.

If its for the diesel then i would be super tempted
Old 10th February 2010, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sirji, its a 160bhp engine. A great price if the car still has some basic gadgets etc IMHO.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Oh, is it for petrol? I was thinking its for the diesel. They mentioned its some celebration offer but not sure if thats a gimmick or for real.

If its for the diesel then i would be super tempted
It's for the petrol TSI.Being Skoda, they wouldn't give the PD laura for the price of an Octavia.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:25   #6
BHPian

It's VFM at the time of buying. If you expect to own the car for 5+ years, then you should consider TCO more than MRP.

BTW, during my TD, I found a irritating problem with Laura TSI - it stalls at very low speed (<10km/hr) even on 1st gear. I am not sure if this is a defect or feature but will certainly make it painful to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

From a pure business point of view, I never found any company to celebrate its product's success by slashing its price - generally they do the opposit (eg. Altis, Civic. City et al). So I am curious to know why Skoda is taking a contrarian approach - only time will tell. Let's wait and watch.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
It's VFM at the time of buying. If you expect to own the car for 5+ years, then you should consider TCO more than MRP.

BTW, during my TD, I found a irritating problem with Laura TSI - it stalls at very low speed (<10km/hr) even on 1st gear. I am not sure if this is a defect or feature but will certainly make it painful to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

From a pure business point of view, I never found any company to celebrate its product's success by slashing its price - generally they do the opposit (eg. Altis, Civic. City et al). So I am curious to know why Skoda is taking a contrarian approach - only time will tell. Let's wait and watch.
IMO they aren't celebrating anything. This price has remained for quite sometime. It's only the TSI that's available for this price, maybe to boost sales of the TSI.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Avi, if you are open to an upgrade, go for it....this is a very tempting offer and the Laura(Damn! why cant they change this name- for a Punjabi like me, this will always be an issue....) TSI is one heck of a machine!

Based on ravv's feedback, it seems that serivce at Hyd is not an issue for Skoda.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post

The reason is not all that hard to figure out. The Altis has had some bumper sales in January - heard somewhere. And not to forget, the base Cruze is available in Diesel at 10.99 lakhs.So Skoda would have thought why not shake things up. This is a Civic beater any day (at least on performance) so it is a great buy. The low end torque problem may be because of the supercharger but not sure.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

As already stated by others, it is for the base TSI model but that should still give you a good 11-12 mileage. But if you are looking at a diesl in that price bracket, then apart from the Octavia, the only option to you is the Chevy Cruze. Its a hoot to drive as well and with Pete's I'm sure you won't miss your Viva
Old 10th February 2010, 12:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hmm - I heard this is a sham. Laura TSi's are not available in any color (some problem with procuring kits here) and hence this offer to show that Lauras are in great demand.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hmm - I heard this is a sham. Laura TSi's are not available in any color (some problem with procuring kits here) and hence this offer to show that Lauras are in great demand.

What do you mean by "not available in any color" ? Are they not delivering anything then ? Just booking ?
Old 10th February 2010, 12:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
The low end torque problem may be because of the supercharger but not sure.
Correction, the Laura is turbocharged, not supercharged
Old 10th February 2010, 12:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Correction, the Laura is turbocharged, not supercharged
The TSI is a new petrol engine only. The TDI is a turbo engine only (diesel)
See below
Volkswagen Launches Petrol Revolution With TSI Technology
Old 10th February 2010, 12:48   #15
BHPian

TSI is indeed a turbo charged engine and TSI stands for "Turbo Stratified Injection".

The information regarding VW TSI engine can found at Volkswagen | TSI Petrol Engines

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks