Team-BHP - warranty issues - is it fair ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   warranty issues - is it fair ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/7527-warranty-issues-fair.html)

Well,my 1 month old(on 26th July 2005) NHC CVT(bought 21st June 2005) was affected by the July Mumbai downpour,and the car is at Ichibaan Honda,Kalina for repairs.They are gonna give the car in mid-October,because of spare parts shortage,and getting them imported from Japan.
They've said that all flood affected vehicles warranties stand cancelled from the day of the downpour..infact,I have this in writing from them,through email.
The dealer said this is a direct order from Honda Siel India..so,my entire 4 years warranty stands cancelled.
I don't think this is fair even after taking the car to their authorized superexpensive service facility and paying around Rs1,50,000,and yet warranty stands cancelled !..that means Honda Siel doesn't trust their best service centers with the post-flood repair jobs they do..
Guys - do you think it's fair ?..I don't know whether other Indian Car Cos. are voiding the warranty effective 26th July for all flood damaged vehicles...
Here's the email I got from Ichibaan Honda Customer Relations Dept. -
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:43 AM
Subject: Fw: Brand New Honda City Warranty

Dear Sir,

We are in receipt of your mail dated 13th September'05 and have noted the contents.

We wish to bring to your kind notice that the original manufacturers warranty is provided along with sale of a new car so as to take care of any deficiency that may have occurred during the manufacturing process of the car, which means that it is limited to absorbing any manufacturing related defect that may arise during the normal operations of the car. The car does not have any manufacturing defect but has been damaged due to inundation caused by excessive rains that were unforeseen.

We would also like you to refer to the standard warranty terms and conditions of Honda Siel Cars India Limited, which states that any damage that results from natural disasters, fire, collision, theft and secondary damages based on any of these occurrences are not covered under warranty.

As a result, we wish to inform you that the warranty as originally applicable to your car stands void with effect from the time the car was inundated due to floods. We wish to submit that while all efforts shall be made to repair the car, we would further like to clarify that even post car repairs, we shall be constrained not to assume any responsibility towards the car’s performance in future as you would appreciate that the car post-repairs can not be restored to its original pristine condition owing to its inundation.

As you are aware that there was flood situation in Mumbai of unforeseen magnitude which had affected large number of cars in short span, causing sudden spurt of demand of spare parts that usually do not require replacement. Accordingly, based on the requirement ascertained by us, efforts are on to procure the required parts in shortest time span.

We would like to apprise you that certain parts that usually do not require replacement are to be procured from the overseas suppliers of Honda Siel Cars India Limited (HSCI) and is likely to take some time.We are in constant touch with HSCI regarding the same. Under the circumstances, you are requested to bear with us. We would revert to you as soon as the parts required for repair of your car are available with us.

Thanking you and assuring you of our services at all times.

Warm Regards,

Archana Mane

Customer Relations Department

----------
post your views on this issue team bhpians !
cheers,
sr

Would be good to publicise this move by Honda India. Please let more people know that their warranty on flood affected Hondas stands cancelled.

What I don't understand is - why can't they claim responsibility for after they've restored the car to an almost original condition?

Definitely not fair.

Logically and legally, the reason for the cancellation of the warranty is sound. Sadly so. :(

Legally, the warranty is against manufacturing defects.
The water generally reduces the life of electricals and other sensitive a lot, which starts showing up after certain usage period. This gradual damaging process is usually cascading in nature and can't be judged or repaired at one shot. Secondly, this also varies from vechicle to vehicle and the conditions it was in.

The best bet is get few servicing done in quick successions post repairs to stem the rot if any is noticed and replace the effected part.

I fell very sorry for you and its not fair to cancel warranty.

legally, HSCI cannot be blamed. Since the irregularities brought in the various parts of the car cannot be corrected to the level of that during the production of the car, it is right for HSCI to inform the owners of this.
But I still believe that hsci could have taken a different route towards this matter. cancellation of warranties of all the automobiles since the black tuesday is not the correct thing to do. think of a person who bought his car right on 25th? he would be stunned. least honda could have done is to atleast provide free repairs to the cars.
@srasania: i really feel sorry for you my friend. you had a 4 year warranty and i am sure u paid extra for that. atleast honda shouldnt have cancelled the extended ones.

A sad move for the Honda Customers, at least they should pass the warranty on the parts changed by them

@srasania , you should ask for refund for the extended warranty u paid to HSCI.

They clearly mention that there is no warrantee for damage done by Floods, but why not *after* all the repairs are done at owners expenses? I remember reading on this thread(?) that they even straightaway replaces ECU and electrical components, since they don't want to take chances. Now, these replaced parts should have warrantee. They should at most void warrantee of electrical compoenents, but what about engine and mechanical components? Either they will be replaced due to damage, or they will be in good condition. They will not deteriorate over period of time (other than regular wear and tear). To me, it appears that HSCI is playing safe.

It doesnt seem fair to cancel a 4 year warranty after you take the car back to them and pay through your nose to restore it.

For what its worth, you might want to dispute the warranty cancellation in a consumer or civil court. Consumer court is cheaper and faster (resolved within 6 months), but civil courts may have the jurisdiction to over-rule Honda's blanket decision or at least put in caveats. After all, you did take the car back to Honda after the floods and not to any local mechanic.

I feel for you, friend...

I absolutely agree with you, Steeroid! I am not aware of all legal complications involved. But going by face of it, it just doesnt appear fair to me.

This is real sad man. Technically they are correct but it feels pathetic that your car just about a month old has to go through this. Plus you have to pay for it ! The least they could do is refund you your 4years extended warranty money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srasania
We would also like you to refer to the standard warranty terms and conditions of Honda Siel Cars India Limited, which states that any damage that results from natural disasters, fire, collision, theft and secondary damages based on any of these occurrences are not covered under warranty.

I am no legal eagle either .. however me too thinks its' unfair ..

And my interpretation of this clause is .. the cost of repairs to get the car back on road due to the flood damage will not be covered under warranty .. and this you are anyway paying ..

BUT by cancelling the warranty they are basically assuming, that ANYTHING that goes wrong with the car after it is given back to you post repairs will be due to the effect of the flood .. how can they prove that assumption ?
Ideally the warranty should still be in force .. and when there is any other damage, then it should be analysed whether it falls under the category of 'secondary damages based on any of these occurrences' .. I know it's hard to conclude whether something that happens 2 years later, was an effect of the flood .. but they could have probably tweaked the warranty clauses instead of withdrawing it altogether ...

There you go .. a black spot on Honda service .. It would be really interesting to know how the other manufacturers are dealing with this situation ..

Pal,

this is bad news maan ! I know legally honda might be right but then after you get the cars repaired from them , atleast there should be some goodwill warranty for a year atleast !

I feel for you pal , a month old car and all this happens.......

I guess - we should atleast publicise this step of Honda more so that people are made aware ! But as usual , with the MAGNIFICIENT OBSESSION we have for Jap cars , this will least bother anyone!

BTW - im curious to know if the other manufactures have dealt the same blow to their customers ? anyone ?

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy
BTW - im curious to know if the other manufactures have dealt the same blow to their customers ? anyone ?

I think it will be the same dude. Maybe not for Tata, but who knows. With FIAT, they sell so few that they may not be facing this problem. Though Cream will be in a better position to answer this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc
BUT by cancelling the warranty they are basically assuming, that ANYTHING that goes wrong with the car after it is given back to you post repairs will be due to the effect of the flood .. how can they prove that assumption ?

i seriously think that they are shirking the responsibilty as a manufacturer. when they are replacing major parts like the ecm and repairing other mechanisms, they should be sure of the work they are doing on the car. the manufacturers should not cancel any warranty and that too of all 4 years. i agree what happened was unforseen but then why should the customer suffer becoz of all this. any was he is paying money ranging from 1 lakhs to 2 lakhs for this repairs and above all this losing warranty for which a good amount of money has been paid.

my personal feeling is that these dealer workshops are overcharging the customers always, and if you select a good local workshop then this work can be done well and you can get the car beck at a reasonable time. at the most you can do as a safety move is to buy parts over the counter itself and get it done at the workshop. any one who loves his/her car may try this option.

suraj, i feel that try to bargain hard and dont given into their gimmicks and thus end up saving some money atleast. ask them, arent they sure of their own work.

shubbhi