Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why no Hyundai Genesis for India?

Dear All,

Almost all the major sports car and super car makers are now in India and others are eyeing to enter India in the near future. However, I fail to understand why can't we have a economical sports car (Hyundai Genesis) in India?

Hyundai should bring this car to Indian and even if they price it close to 25-30 Lakhs, it should sell like hot cakes IMHO.

What do you feel?

Hyundai, please bring this here and soon!

Pics Courtsey - google and respective websites
Attached Thumbnails
Why no Hyundai Genesis for India?-130_0902_23_z2010_hyundai_genesis_couperear_side.jpg  

Why no Hyundai Genesis for India?-2010_hyundai_genesis_coupe_new_press_image_029.jpg  

Why no Hyundai Genesis for India?-2010hyundaigenesiscoupe.jpg  

Why no Hyundai Genesis for India?-gencoupe_1280_01_opt.jpg  

Old 12th February 2010, 10:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Even though the car looks good and the performance would be great. However, with the current image of Hyundai as a small car maker, there would not be too many takers for this car barring for the image
Old 12th February 2010, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai hadn't been able to successfully sell their premium sedans in India yet. Look at past sales of Elantra, Sonata.

Hyundai in India are volumes player similar to Maruti. May be they should keep an eye on response of Suzuki Kizashi in India & then decide whether Indian market would accept premium/sports sedan from Hyundai in India.

Please note Kizashi is not to be compared with Genesis but only as an example for premium offering from an existing volumes player and how market reacts to it.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

There's no harm in trying! They were sceptical about the I20 as well. They should make the most of it now!

PS: They did not use a certain actor for the promo's of I20 and still its selling like hot cakes. So, it clearly shows it is now very well accepted as a premimum hatch maker. And I feel, they should explore this option.

PPS: There is currently no one in this segment and they stand to have the first step advantage.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
There's no harm in trying! They were sceptical about the I20 as well. They should make the most of it now!

PS: They did not use a certain actor for the promo's of I20 and still its selling like hot cakes. So, it clearly shows it is now very well accepted as a premimum hatch maker. And I feel, they should explore this option.

PPS: There is currently no one in this segment and they stand to have the first step advantage.
Ditto

Genesis is a wonderful car, & many people know about Sonata + Elentra (big cars from Hyundai). At least they are not in the same shoes as Maruti, which people perceive as a small car manufacturer, having least knowledge about very good car big car from Suzuki (read Kizashi).

Hyundai can always use the their wide network second to Maruti & Tata, & given the performance of Genesis, it would only reinforce opinion of the perople about the credebility of Hyundai as a competent manufacturer... thereby driving their sales & goodwill both.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

The sedan version could do well in India i think, but if they launch it upwards of Rs 40 Lakh then it would get the same result as VW got by Launching the Pheaton ( whatever it is called) in the US.
Old 12th February 2010, 13:57   #7
BHPian

I think it has very low ground clearance and it's a coupe.

I think Indian mentality adjusted to a 4-door rather a 2-door, may be it'll take some time to change that.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:09   #8
BHPian

I really don't think there is a market for the Genesis in India, especially the coupe. Please see this thread and judge yourself -> Would you buy a hatchback for 10L? . Why there is no market? Blame the mentality of the Indian car buyer.
Just look at the Sonata and more so, in the case of Elantra. Elantra was a very capable car, especially the CRDi with little flaws and it failed. Why? Brand image! People just cannot accept the fact that a Korean manufacturer can do a better job than a Jap. Other markets are much more liberal and they accept products, if they are good. I don't think Hyundai should take a gamble here.
Old 12th February 2010, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
The sedan version could do well in India i think, but if they launch it upwards of Rs 40 Lakh then it would get the same result as VW got by Launching the Pheaton ( whatever it is called) in the US.
Hyundai knows it well that they need to offer VFM (and good looking) products and then only they would survive. The only problem is they took a lot of time to realize it and hence Terracan, Tuscon, Elantra were failures. Hyundai Sonata was a hit when it was launched. However, Accord came and became a true blue VFM killing the sonata. Embera came but it was too late and too similar looking to the old Accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I think it has very low ground clearance and it's a coupe.

I think Indian mentality adjusted to a 4-door rather a 2-door, may be it'll take some time to change that.
Have you heard about the Supercar Club of India? I think 99% of the cars there are 2 door with very low ground clearance
Old 12th February 2010, 16:27   #10

Forget a sports coupe

Have you seen the new Hyundai Sonata? Check it out (the link leads to the official US website for the car). It looks awesome! I would gladly buy that for around 11-13 lakhs!

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th February 2010 at 17:43. Reason: Please mind your language on the forum, such language is not allowed here, thanks
Old 12th February 2010, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild82 View Post
Screw that. Have you seen the new Hyundai Sonata? Check it out (the link leads to the official US website for the car). It looks awesome! I would gladly buy that for around 11-13 lakhs!
It looks like a mix of an Old Generation Toyota Camry and the new generation ANHC. Sorry, I still want the Genesis.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

As long as there is no similarly priced Japanese or European competitor, it should sell well. There is indeed a market for cars like the Genesis.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
It looks like a mix of an Old Generation Toyota Camry and the new generation ANHC. Sorry, I still want the Genesis.
Amtak, i fail to see the mix of lines that you have noticed.
Hyundai definitely won't bring this down. Simply cause it won't sell. Take the Tucson and Terracan, did they sell? NO. How many people, willing to spend 30 lacs on a car, would want to put it in a Hyundai? Definitely not me. If it was less than 12, i wouldn't mind a Hyundai. But 30 lacs, a Hyundai, no way.

Yes i've heard of the supercar club, and those cars, on an average, cost upwards of 1 cr. Comparing them with the Genesis coupe, IMHO, makes no sense.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

May be you would not invest 30 lakhs in a Hyundai. I would ,if I cannot exceed my budget to 1 crore. Btw, I think the cheapest Sports car in this side of a crore that money can buy would be Porsche Boxster at about 60 Lakhs Ex Showroom?

And, Hyundai is slowky shedding its economical car maker image to a VFM car maker image. This should do wonders for them. If Fiat can sell 500 at a premium and get away with it then I am sure, Genesis would be a hot seller. Hyundai certainly has (even still) better image than Fiat. Hyundai learnt their lesson and now they should go on to the next level.

Btw, Hyundai was world number 4 in August 2009.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/18/h...est-automaker/

Last edited by amtak : 12th February 2010 at 17:40.
Old 12th February 2010, 17:56   #15
BHPian

Here, the Genesis coupe is priced at 125,000 DHS, that's 16.25 lacs, add tax, shipping, Hyundai India's Profit, the dealer's profit, it should cost 40 lacs ex-showroom. Unless Hyundai manufactures it in India, they can not price it at 30 lacs. IMO i still don't think Hyindai would launch this in India, though i agree there's nothing this side of 60 lacs, except probaly for the 370z.

Most Viewed