Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 15:42   #31

What the hell is happening to the Mitsu product portfolio. I remember they had a All-India Experiential Marketing campaign called The Great Driving Challenge to target young consumers to know, experience and hopefully buy the Cedia Sports in the exercise. Well it did receive some excitement and a lot of young urban couples dashed to give their entries and those few shortlisted ones actually drove the Cedia Sports for the final rounds and won the grand prize,the Cedia Sports itself. It did have all the gizmos such as GPS/NAV/Bluetooth/MOMO steering/OZ wheels etc and the overall performance of the car might have helped young customers to buy a Cedia Sports after the experience. Now are the HM /Mitsu marketing team planning to launch another experiential marketing campaign to target consumers who are 40+ to take a dig at another road drive by launching a stripped down of the Sports version and call it Spirit Sports Basic?????

Why don't these guys just stick to basics and not confuse customers with trimmed down versions of a Sports Model and call it Basic Sports and squeak a Spirit buyer to have a few/basic accessories of the sports version. As sales of Cedia is nothing rave to talk about in the country, the marketing folks must have come with a great idea of selling or give a choice of two products to two different TA in a family, sell a Spirit version to a Father who might be inclined to buy a Spirit Cedia Basic Sports model without GPS/NAV/ OZ/ MOMO (one who will just drive to office and come back, not interested in other flashy gizmo) and Sports version to the younger sibling. I really don't this how this strategy will work or there would have been plenty of Spirit inventory lying in the factory, so they must thought, add in a few gizmos and sell the variant as Sports Basic. A simple product differentiator that Maruti follows in all its model categories - Lx, Lxi, Zxi.

But, one thing for sure, the Cedia Sports version brand equity is being diluted and its better Mitsu realises just adding/trimming accessories will not get sales. They would be better off getting new Lancer models in the country. Can you believe Mitsu/HM did not have a stall at this year's Delhi Auto Show. I own Cedia Sports and casually asked one of the marketing guys, pat came the reply, No Money to book a stall, forget showcasing!!!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:02   #32
BHPian

I enquired about the Cedia models currently available and the Southern Motors SP in Bangalore told me that only Cedia Sports is being sold now. The Cedia Sports Basic i is discontinued, and they are expecting a new variant in August. Would someone know what the real status is? The Cedia Sports Basic seems to have been launched only this year.....
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
The Cedia Sports Basic is discontinued, and they are expecting a new variant in August.
New Variant of Cedia.. Damn HM..the new variant will just have reshuffled features. Nothing much. They look in no mood to launch the new lancer.
If you want the Cedia, I'd suggest you go for sports and bargain hard on discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_msingh View Post
I own Cedia Sports and casually asked one of the marketing guys, pat came the reply, No Money to book a stall, forget showcasing!!!!
They didnt have any new products to showcase, and thats why they didnt have a stall.. All their products including the EVO X were already displayed at the 2008 auto expo. Even Ford didnt have a stall despite the fact that they had figo almost ready for launch.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd July 2010 at 20:34.
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:05   #34
BANNED

Will they have enough sense to upgrade the engine power from 115BHP to something like 140BHP. The current 2.0L engine is capable of much more than its pumping out today. If not the new lancer, let them atleast do this basic favor.
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:48   #35
oss
BHPian

Wonder how long more HM is going to flog the Cedia

they should replace it with Lancer Ex with the 1.8 & 2.2 DiD engines, if they ever want to see some decent volumes.
Old 24th July 2010, 15:11   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I knew that mitsubishi would have to relaunch the cedia with ordinary beige interiors and especially the MOMO wheel with the old 4-spoke steering wheel.
BTW, the cedia link in the mitsubishi website doesn't seem to be working.What maybe the problem?
Old 26th July 2010, 00:29   #37
BHPian

On clicking the Cedia link, it tries to open 'http://www.cediasports.in/' and fails. I opened the link for lancer and replaced 'lancer' with 'cedia' and it opened the Cedia site.

Cedia Sports
Old 26th July 2010, 08:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Wonder how long more HM is going to flog the Cedia
Well, i wonder how long Mitsu is going to flog HM. IMHO -They should just fire them and go solo.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:59   #39
BHPian

@ Venkateshkm - What is the ex-showroom and OTR cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
I enquired about the Cedia models currently available and the Southern Motors SP in Bangalore told me that only Cedia Sports is being sold now. The Cedia Sports Basic i is discontinued, and they are expecting a new variant in August. Would someone know what the real status is? The Cedia Sports Basic seems to have been launched only this year.....
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:30   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

@voyager-1 .thanks for the link on the cedia,bro.
but i think they forgot to put the cedia sports basic on the webpage. Nothing about it on the webpage. They can't even seem to put their website properly updated.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Dicky
Cedia Sports Basic is now discontinued. The only available model is the Cedia Sports.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@Dicky
Cedia Sports Basic is now discontinued. The only available model is the Cedia Sports.
I went to Excel Motors, Okhla yesterday; and a sales-person Raghavendra told me that it is still available. Even then new price-list has it listed.

According to him, the new Sports Basic is coming with a parking camera.

Nitin
Old 4th August 2010, 00:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Everyone loves the sporty driving experience the Cedia offers, but they know the competition has moved on. Every other car in the segment feels fresher compared to the Cedia. HM now its time to get the latest Lancer here with a range of latest engines.

AFAIK Mitsubishi sells the Lancer internationally with the same PD 2.0 140bhp diesel engine that was available in Passat and Superb initially. Now when both Skoda and VW have raised the bar with CR engines, even if HM gets the latest Lancer here with the dated diesel engine it will feel dated and crude compared to the competition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks