Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 17:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Xenon is a perfect vehicle if you are the outdoors kind. And even though it is humongous in size, its a breeze to drive in city and cars do give way.

IIRC the 2010 Xenon is coming with bigger tyres, and factory fitted ICE apart from ABS.

Saw two last week and posted pix here at TBHP. They had 215 tyres!
Old 15th February 2010, 23:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
thats good news. I am seriously considering the Xenon in 2011. Just hope these poor numbers does make TATA phase out the higher end variants by next year !
just two versions a 2WD and 4WD. Bith have just one trim level that's. TATA will not phase out the vehicle, they do make the vehicle for other markets so it just no problem with sales numbers for this one. They have been selling the TL for last 5 years in the market with similar numbers moving out of the showroom.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:21   #18
BHPian

The Xenon makes a lot of sense to regular campers. You can carry a lot of stuff for camping. Ofcourse, it does not make sense for normal city driving folks due to its sheer size. Also the ride would not be great with an empty bed due to the leaf springs at the back.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
...Also the ride would not be great with an empty bed due to the leaf springs at the back.
Here comes ... One of the comments I was looking for. While looking at its size & weight, it doesn't seem to have a bumpy drive while it is empty ! May be, I am getting this wrong.
Let me try to understand this. "Leaf springs" is something similar to a suspension on AIR/VOLVO buses where its independent (similar to Indigo Marina) ?

Looking at the build, XT is very promising and very solid. So, I am assuming a non-bumpy ride (same or similar to Safari) though its empty.

Prem.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:07   #20
BHPian

Prem, this is for you from a Xenon owner, I would like to tell you that car/truck is close to good value for money, it is a very good daily drive, a really nice highway cruiser, a workhorse like the TL.
I got my truck like 9-10months back and done 30k kms till date and even with the beginning haggles I have had no major issues and having it kind of makes me feel invincible and being a 4WD is an added advantage.
Like I told you its my daily drive in B'lore, and i have had no problems getting around even in peek traffic. Only because no one will try to get in my way when the see this
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT - 2010-imag0042.jpg  

Old 16th February 2010, 21:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Here comes ... One of the comments I was looking for. While looking at its size & weight, it doesn't seem to have a bumpy drive while it is empty ! May be, I am getting this wrong.
Let me try to understand this. "Leaf springs" is something similar to a suspension on AIR/VOLVO buses where its independent (similar to Indigo Marina) ?

Looking at the build, XT is very promising and very solid. So, I am assuming a non-bumpy ride (same or similar to Safari) though its empty.

Prem.
Leaf Springs are not something that is there in AIR/VOLVO Buses. These run on air suspension. Leaf springs are something that you see in the trucks or lot of MUV's and are used for high capacity load carrying. Leaf spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again the load carrying capacity of a MUV is dependent on the number of leafs a spring has. The more the number of leafs, the bumpier ride the vehicle will have when empty.

Safari doesn't have a leaf spring suspension but a torsion bar set-up at the rear, whereas your Marina will most likely have a helical spring with torsion bar set-up at the rear ( this is the most common setup for FWD hatch/sedans/estates)

Now I have driven it with 3 people and the vehicle was very planted and not at all bumpy.

My 2 paisa will be for you to drive the Xenon. Its only then will you be able to make it ride and other dynamics.

Cheers
Old 16th February 2010, 22:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
Prem, this is for you from a Xenon owner, I would like to tell you that car/truck is close to good value for money, it is a very good daily drive, a really nice highway cruiser, a workhorse like the TL.
I got my truck like 9-10months back and done 30k kms till date and even with the beginning haggles I have had no major issues and having it kind of makes me feel invincible and being a 4WD is an added advantage.
Like I told you its my daily drive in B'lore, and i have had no problems getting around even in peek traffic. Only because no one will try to get in my way when the see this
Thanks and your XT is simply awesome !!!! I had a look at your garage as well and really love your t5.jpg & t6.jpg Appreciate your effort in taking this pics.
Similarly, the one having XT & Safari next to each other - Superb !

Prem.
Old 16th March 2010, 19:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Xenon XT 2010 pics from a tata dealership
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02497.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02498.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02499.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02500.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02501.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02502.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02503.jpg  

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc02504.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 22:19   #24
BHPian

LHD Tata Xenon

Spotted this LHD Tata Xenon (i guess) near Arcot bypass road while coming to Chennai from Bangalore today.

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc00016.jpg

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc00009.jpg

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc00011.jpg

Tata Xenon XT - 2010-dsc00013.jpg

I guess this must be an export vehicle doing test drive under extreme conditions
Old 26th March 2010, 19:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics @sidindica. could have done with the beige interior pics of the 2010 model.
BTW nice dig on DIPPY's signature. S65 RULLLLZZZZZ.
O.T-Since you are a Tata insider,any news on the next gen xenon or a premium sedan(on X2 platform)???
Old 27th March 2010, 03:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Sid

Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Have you had the chance to drive the Xenon as well?
Old 27th March 2010, 07:48   #27
BHPian

Do we have sales figures of Xenon for other markets where it is popular? for example Thailand. Tata would be introducing new features for other markets and may be not India.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Adding 235/70/16 tires and ABS is an excellent move by Tata Motors. Now if only they could rationalize the price to bring it in line with the Sumo Not-So-Grade for the 2WD version, it will sell better. There is absolutely no reason to price the 2WD above the Sumo Not-So-Grande since the amount of sheet metal used and power train is identical. The 4WD will obviously have a premium of about 80K like in the Safari range over a 2WD in the same trim level.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Do Xenons come with LSD as a standard fitment?
Old 27th March 2010, 11:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the vinyl and the chrome grille was at all needed in this already classy looking truck.

All they need to do is to take the Sumo grande, alter its fenders and bumpers to the Xenon spec, and leave the Xenon alone, just re-price it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Do Xenons come with LSD as a standard fitment?
Yes it does, right from the factory, so does the Safari. Its time that the Mahindra's take notice (they have it on their export spec vehicles though)

Last edited by 1100D : 27th March 2010 at 11:42.

Most Viewed