Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 23:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is car enthusiasm only about loving great cars or all cars?!

Who is actually the quintessential car enthusiast? A person who's only bothered about exotics,muscle and high-end imports (well,who isn't?) and scoffs at the sight of other so called mundane,under-rated cars OR a person from whom even the Trabant or the Omni can be a source of automotive enthusiasm?

I,for instance hate the Omni,but deep down inside of me,I'd love to get my hands behind the wheel of one,just for that lovely driving position and wonderful view of the road! Its a car,its got an IC engine,wheels,gearbox,chassis..and that does it for me! I love all cars,except what the Chinese are making these days.Period.

Chip in with your views guys!
Old 14th February 2010, 01:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
I love all cars,except what the Chinese are making these days.Period.
What about the cars Indians are making?. . OK, the ARIA is a start but we shouldn't be knocking others right now for their efforts. Really.

Last edited by nickatnite : 14th February 2010 at 01:18.
Old 14th February 2010, 01:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I love all Cars !!

I love cars that have a good engine and blends into each persons personality. After all , according to me A man is known by the car he has . I could read a person's entire Character by just seeing the car he has and how he's maintaining it.

I love car's that were daring and brought about a whole lot of change in the Indian market. Car's with a good heritage , probably in India it would be the Esteem(Peppy Engine) , Zen ,Santro(Zip Drive) Octavia( - A$$ ) , Swift , Endeavour(Brute Force).

Internationally it would be cars like the Ford Mustang(Most Practical Sports car) , Chevy Camaro , Lancer(Evo) , VW Golf , Mini Cooper .
Old 14th February 2010, 02:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess its about loving and respecting every car for what its worth and what its capable of doing.It could be a Geo Metro, or a CCX,each machine is made in a specific way and liking it isn't necessary, but giving it the respect it deserves is what makes a person a true enthusiast. Obviously, all cars can't be liked.For whatever reasons (style, features etc), we tend to detest or adore certain cars.
Old 14th February 2010, 02:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
It could be a Geo Metro
I once owned a 1995 Geo Metro coupe and i drove it all the way down to Miami from New York with two friends and we had a blast and spent half as much on gas if i had driven my Olds Aurora or similar belonging to my friends at that time. A car is a car and if one feels comfortable with it, that's all that matters.
Old 14th February 2010, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

We buy cars based on our tastes and since everybody is not the same, tastes in car also vary greatly. A true enthusiast is the one who maintains whatever he/she has got in the best possible manner.

I still have a 12 year old M800 in my garage and my enthusiasm to maintain it is no lesser than it is for my 2009 Bolero. For most people cars are either a mode of transport or a status symbol but for a true enthusiast it ends up being more important than their spouse/partners/GF (My wife feels my cars are my first love and on that count atleast I'm a true enthusiast)
Old 14th February 2010, 12:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is not an indica I wouldnt feel like loving Any idiot could like a good looking or fast car. It takes real dedication to love the underdog
Old 14th February 2010, 12:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'll give you an analogy. I love chocolate. It can be any kind, any brand and in any price range but I will still love it. But I sure know that I like a Toblerone way more than a Kit-Kat. I think my car enthusiasm runs along similar lines.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I like just about any car (with few exceptions) and never think twice before slipping in behind the wheel of an 800, Nano or Spark (oh! for the pure mechanical feel). I love all types of cars; big engines or small, SUVs to stationwagons, petrol, diesel and CNG, AWD, FWD or RWD....you get the jist.

Of course, I do (as with any other enthusiast) have a soft spot for sports cars & German luxo-barges. But, on friday evening, I spent as much time studying the Nano as I did the Ferrari Enzo (when I'd seen it first in '03). My best friend added a Nano to his stable on the 12th.

What defines a car enthusiast? It'd be unfair for us to do so. Anyone who loves cars / driving is an enthusiast. Whether its us knowledgeable BHPians or my Jiju who doesn't know too much about cars, but enjoys driving his Laura to Lonavla anyways.

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2010 at 13:11.
Old 14th February 2010, 13:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

In my books, anyone who loves to drive in/on anything on wheels is an enthusiast.

That reminds me of:
i'm sitting at the wheel
i got a green light
not afraid of nothin' cuz heart and soul
i'm built for life

so let the engine roar
push the pedal down
i want the white lines on the highway
to lead me out of town

chorus:
i'm rolling on and on and on
who knows where i'm goin'?
life is an open road - it's the best story never told
it's an endless sky – it's the deepest sea
life is an open road to me

i got headlights
to guide me through the night
i got the window down and the radio playing
it makes me feel alive

chorus

Yeah life's an open road

life is an open road - it's the best story never told
it's an endless sky – it's the deepest sea

Yeah life's and open road

Yeah and I'm built for life

Life is an open road to me
Old 14th February 2010, 14:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I'll give you an analogy. I love chocolate. It can be any kind, any brand and in any price range but I will still love it. But I sure know that I like a Toblerone way more than a Kit-Kat. I think my car enthusiasm runs along similar lines.
That's indeed a great analogy my friend!

Thanks for your views guys! Lets keep on reveling in our unexplainable revere for all things automotive!

Most Viewed